Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to find which cylinder is not firing and why?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
velum
Hi!

I had to change my FI Wire-Harness ('73 914-4 2.0L), because the old one wasn't good anymore. Barely moving wires broke them. So I installed a brand new harness. However, my engine is not running smoothly at all. It sounds as if it would be running on three cylinders only. You can hear it on this video I posted on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu6K7P4bpQk

How can I test weather all injectors are receiving impulses from the ECU? Can it be done with a multimeter? I also have an extra set of injectors taken out from a more recent car ('74 I believe. They are green). Should I just connect each injector wire to one of these extra injectors in loose air one by one and see what happens? Even if there is no gas line connected to the injector?

Also, is there an easy procedure (without special tools) to ensure that all injectors are working properly? And if I find an injector that is not working properly can I swap it with one of the extra ones I have. All injectors in my car, and the extra ones are green (sometimes they look black, maybe because of the age).

Cheers!

JF

P.S. I also changed the injector o-rings recently...
underthetire
You can check the pulse with a old analog (dial type) multimeter at idle. The digital ones are just not fast enough. There is also a "noid" light you can buy to test them. Easiest way to find a dead hole is with a thermal gun. Find the cold exhaust.
dlee6204
One way to test the injectors is to unbolt all four from the manifolds and place each one in a small jar. Disconnect the coil, then crank the car for a few seconds. Each injector should spray a small amount of gas into each jar and you can tell if they are all firing and flowing evenly.

Another way is, while the engine is running, disconnect each spark plug wire one at a time. If you pull one and your engine doesn't change, you know that cylinder is not operating correctly.
VaccaRabite
To find wich cylinder is not working, just start the car and let it idle. lay down and feel near the exhaust pipes (don't touch them, they will be HOT). The bad cylinder will be way cooler then the others - maybe flat out cold if it is not firing at all. No special tools needed.

Zach
Andyrew
I have always liked the wire pull method.. Pop the hood, Pull the wires one at a time. done.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 9 2010, 03:05 PM) *

I have always liked the wire pull method.. Pop the hood, Pull the wires one at a time. done.

agree.gif

Make sure you use insulated pliers, or plug wire pliers.
yeahmag
Eh... If your plug wires are OK and you are wearing tennis shoes you'll be fine. If your super paranoid don't ground yourself. Then again, I'm an idiot...
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 9 2010, 07:20 PM) *

Eh... If your plug wires are OK and you are wearing tennis shoes you'll be fine. If your super paranoid don't ground yourself. Then again, I'm an idiot...

You'll know it if you do accidentally ground yourself. Its an eye opening experiencing. blink.gif
velum
Many thanks for all that input!

I think I'll use insulated pliers + rubber gloves + tennis shoes!

Cheers!

JF
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.