Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad 914 Day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NC_Colfax
Well last night I got my car serviced and drove it to work today for the first time to "show her off."

Well after work my son had to be picked up from the sitter early so I was rushing home to get my family wagon. I came to a stop sign about a mile from the house. The car in front of me went...then for NO reason slammed on there brakes and I could not get to the clutch/brake fast enough and BAM right in the back of her white Grand Am. We pulled over to the side and her car had ZERO damage.My car had a crushed bumper tit and a bent chrome bumper. Than still in a rush I didn't check any thing else....

Well later I looked over the car and the bumper top and the headlight area was all out of shape. Headlights still work but it just looks like stromberg.gif

So my first real day driving the car was less than 100%
On a better note I am getting better with the clutch and gears......
VaccaRabite
Oh man. Sorry to hear that.

The good news is that everything sounds like it is fixable.

Zach
bandjoey
hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

I'll bet there are some people close that can help get it fixed the right way!
dlee6204
OUCH sad.gif That sucks. At least its fixable! Should we have a fix-it party? smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

At least you weren't stupid enough to drive it in the snow and run into a tree while goofing off... I'm still regretting that night.

Good luck!
NC_Colfax
Yeah I guess I got luckly and didn't have to pay to fix another car.

I have a little PO repair up there I wanted to fix anyway. Just a stupid feeling.

I am looking at replacing the bumpers with the fiberglass GT type. Anyone used them??
Rotary'14
I feel your pain.

-Robert
carr914
QUOTE(NC_Colfax @ Sep 9 2010, 08:47 PM) *

I am looking at replacing the bumpers with the fiberglass GT type. Anyone used them??

I've used them, but if you have that kind of mishap again, you will cause even more damage

Tom_T
I feel your pain, since I had a similar thing happen back in the day when a flatbed work truck slammed on the brakes to make an illegal left turn & I submarined the bumper, just a few weeks after my repaint! dry.gif
trent1542
QUOTE(NC_Colfax @ Sep 9 2010, 05:16 PM) *

I came to a stop sign about a mile from the house. The car in front of me went...then for NO reason slammed on there brakes and I could not get to the clutch/brake fast enough and BAM right in the back of her white Grand Am. We pulled over to the side and her car had ZERO damage.My car had a crushed bumper tit and a bent chrome bumper.

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 10 2010, 03:22 PM) *

I feel your pain, since I had a similar thing happen back in the day when a flatbed work truck slammed on the brakes to make an illegal left turn & I submarined the bumper, just a few weeks after my repaint! dry.gif

I guess the world is just after our 914's, huh?
windforfun
Please accept my condolences. The same thing happened to me a few years back in my Suburban.
trent1542
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 10 2010, 03:37 PM) *

Please accept my condolences. The same thing happened to me a few years back in my Suburban.

this suburban?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1exT5n2zxU ??? biggrin.gif
windforfun
Yep, that's the one.
NC_Colfax
I am undecided on using the the fiberglass bumper. I hope to have the bumper off this weekend to check the sheet metal.

I found some fiberglass patch work from a PO.

I still feel like a boob...
Spoke
Dammit, I hate when that happens.

I had a near miss a few years ago. Got on the 4-lane and was winding my 1.7L up (that doesn't say much) in the fast lane. I remember looking down and I'm doing 70 MPH and passing cars in the slow lane like they're stopped.

That's when I realized they were stopped and so was the car in front of me!

I slammed on the brakes and did a 4 wheel skid up to about 2 feet from the stopped car in front of me. I'll never forget the "P" and "O" of the "PONTIAC" emblem on the car stopped in front of me.

Once I stopped, the smoke from my tires blew by me. It takes a moment like that to remind one to pay attention to the traffic around you.

Good luck with your repairs. At least no one was hurt and you didn't cause damage to the other vehicle.
KELTY360
I hate it when that happens. And it happened to me in March of this year. I know what you mean about feeling like a boob. My 'buddies' here had a great time with my misfortune.

Dogpile on Marc

But it turned out pretty good in the end: Making Lemonade

Good luck with your repairs, it's worth it!
NC_Colfax
IPB Image
70_914
Looks like the 5mph bumper extension did its job...

Had you removed them to look "cleaner" your car would be much more damaged. That thought still won't make me put mine back on, though. biggrin.gif
jt914-6
That's not so bad.....a little silicone "boob job" and it'll look like new again..... biggrin.gif
carr914
If you need some Tit biggrin.gif , I will be taking the ones off the car I'm getting tomorrow. Your's for whatever size USPS box I can fit them in.

T.C.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(NC_Colfax @ Sep 10 2010, 06:21 PM) *

I am undecided on using the the fiberglass bumper. I hope to have the bumper off this weekend to check the sheet metal.

I found some fiberglass patch work from a PO.

I still feel like a boob...

Fitting fiberglass can be a lot of work. Not a bolt up and go job at all...
orthobiz
When I was in medical training (in the 80's!) we got one month off a year, had to take it all at once. Anyway, I had my 74 2 liter. Bought front sway bar, new shocks, installed both. Took the gas tank out, moved the fuel pump from the rear to the front.

Set the whole thing up. Took it out for a drive and TOTALLED IT!!!!!

So, I know how you feel.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.