Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I weld rusty 914s in San Diego
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
sean_v8_914
Hi Folks. Some of ya'll may already know me as the 914 guy in San Diego that welds stuff. While I do build engines, gear boxes and paint, I really love cutting, grinding and welding...but I don’t just weld up some holes. The 914 chassis is like an onion. It has many layers of "shaped" metal, like the skin of an onion. The shapes and layering add a lot of strength. Flat metal patches only “look” better. To do it right you must make the hole even bigger untill you land on clean metal, then I passivate the rust inside. You don’t want it to come back in a year! There are chemicals and proceedures I have developed to remove most of the cancer from within.
I have also recognized a need for “less correct” but structurally sound solutions to 914 chassis rot. With this in mind, I have developed some less expensive solutions as long as you don’t mind me doing a little Franken-welding on your Porsche. I use tube steel in places instead of the more time consuming shaped layer technique. It still gets plates over the top with gazillions of plug welds to join it all to the core.
sean_v8_914
the inner wheel well looks ok....nope. sometimes it is easier and thus cheaper for me to cut HUGE hole and just replace it all that to try repairing this nasty metal
sean_v8_914
metal shoujd be passivated not encapsulated with a coating. I do use coatings like POR 15 but there is no single proceedure, no single cure-all product for every type/depth of rust.
sean_v8_914
damn, I cant find the mouse pic. I have this photo where i stuck the camera in teh longitudinal and there is a mouse staring into the lens.

the left side had a Hell Hole Jr.
sean_v8_914
vbhn
sean_v8_914
chop, chop, buzzz.
added a rt angle pc to join vertical wheel house wall to horizontal longitudinal roof. this acts as a sheer panel and is very important
sean_v8_914
Wurth etching primer. SEM epoxy seam sealer flows nicely into all nooks and crannies. both materials are top shelf and contain rust passivation components
sean_v8_914
this car was really horrid
sean_v8_914
this guys suspension ear looked ok till the wheel fell off
PPG etching primer with SEM 2 part epoxy
sean_v8_914
pizza carrying trunk with CO flavorizer
sean_v8_914
hot pizza, original flavor, no additives on teh way home
sean_v8_914
some say factory GT kit is worthless. I do not agree but the currently available GT kits dont do the job so I make my own. I also use multi layer aproach rather than one thick slab of steel
sean_v8_914
that square tube did its job but they forgot to tie it into the lower ear assembly
hot_shoe914
Looking good. Maybe I should send you one of my cars then I can have one on each coast getting repair. confused24.gif
sean_v8_914
perhaps I should post some finished product instread of these meat on bone pics
...some day I'll own a car this clean
sean_v8_914
or this clean...
sean_v8_914
1911cc l-jet
sean_v8_914
I love Adriatic blue.
ps. I didnt do that run!
sean_v8_914
I'll even build ya an electric
sean_v8_914
before...
sean_v8_914
after.
75porsche914
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Sep 13 2010, 07:17 AM) *

after.

Nice mate. What do you charge for paint and such?

I'm in LA currently but have family down in SD. I own a 75 and wanting to paint and possibly change to early bumpers and suuch. Been through a horry of a investment so far with the purchase and rebuilding the motor and tranny and many other parts.

Feel free to email me at

chefpeteredwards@yahoo.com

Thank you

Peter
bulitt
Very Nice Sean!

IMHO a drain should be added to every shelf (from the factory).

IPB Image
jimkelly
I particularly like this photo.

IPB Image

if you can do a few - how to's when you have time - showing tools and products you use - that would be awesome : )

I've added you to my signature

jim

--

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Sep 10 2010, 07:39 AM) *

vbhn
SLKWrx
Come to the east coast. You would have work for miles!
sean_v8_914
ill answer any questions about product or procedures
i wonder why i didn't get notices about replies to this thread
Bleu914V8
Nice work,

What are people doing to fix the source of the problem so that it doesn't happen again once the repair is done to the hellhole? Do you add drains, etc???

Thx,
Jeff
bulitt
Some have added drains. Some have sloped the repair sheet to allow runoff. The real cause of much damage to the passenger side hole, suspension console, jack mount, etc is battery acid. So you can add a tray, purchase a battery resistant to vibration damage, or relocate it.
Gloy62
Do you still do welding in San Diego? What do you charge?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.