Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Towing 914 with Honda Odyssey
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass
When we got our Honda Odyssey minivan, I got the factory tow package (Class 2 trailer hitch and wiring harness, transmission fluid cooler, and power steering fluid cooler) figuring we'd eventually want to tow the 914 or a pop-up camper.

I'm trying to figure out if I can make it to MUSR, and it seems like it would be smarter and more comfortable (although not as nearly as fun or exciting) to tow my 914 than to drive it the 600 miles / 10 hours from Chicago to Vonore.

Towing capacity of the Odyssey is rated at 3500 lbs with surge or electric trailer brakes.

914 weight 2200 lbs.
Can't do a proper trailer with the Odyssey: Uhaul trailer ~2200 lbs + 914 @2200 = 4400 lbs sad.gif

First option would be to buy the pieces for a flat tow setup, which would be nice since then I would be able to tow at will in the future. ~2300 lbs

Or I could rent a U-Haul tow dolly (750 lbs) if that's safer for myself, my tow vehicle, and/or my 914. total weight = 2950 lbs. Maybe this pushes the limits with no trailer brakes.

My least preferred option would be to borrow my father-in-law's GMC pickup truck and rent a trailer. Would cost a lot more in gas and rental, but if it's safest I could do this.

So.... tell me, friends, what is Dan's best option for towing?
dlee6204
Flat tow it! It's easy and cheap and you won't be lugging around an extra 750 lbs for a dolly. Plus you can use that setup anytime in the future!
messix
better check the laws, to legally flat tow the towed vehicle needs to have a braking system to operate the towed vehiles brakes.[check camping world for this system].

most rented tow dollys have surge brakes or electric brakes.

i would go tow dolly. ...... not really i would drive the teener!
Drums66
rock_band.gif Flat tow or flat bed.......the only way I would ever ever tow my
car!! stones.gif thumb3d.gif
bye1.gif (none of those choices)
dlee6204
Hmm... Here is a website that I found that describes some of the requirements for flat towing a little better. Most states require that once you go above a certain weight, you have to use brake assist. Looks like TN would be the only possible issue.

Towing Laws
bandjoey
The towing bar from Harbor Freight is 49.95 and look for a 20% off coupon. I've used it and it great. I've seen pictures here of track people that have use this tow bar...they SURELY will tell us how it's done on a 914. I've seen track cars where they unbolt a bolt from the front torsion bar under the bumper, and bolt in a flat tow ring that can attach to the tow bar, but haven't done it myself.

OR...Chicago people, loan the man a tow dolly!
You can also get magnetic towing lights from Harbor Freight that plug into your hitch.

Here's a site showing the hookup. HF is your friendddddd.

http://www.davidclee.com/Towbarinstructions.htm
JRust
I voted for flat towing it. For your honda it won't tax it to much. Addina trailer or dolly is just more weight. I bought a flat tow kit & love it. The 914 rides nice back there & you will hardly notice it being there.
sean_v8_914
I prefer to flat tow the race car. the trailer is a PITA flat tow got way better gas milage and was nicer to drag that the 2 wheeled trailer. I have an early 914 and the flat tow rig requires bumper removal which is LESS work than loading and unloading the trailer DONT BACK UP WITH FLAT TOW RIG!
BigDBass
Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards flat tow. I saw the HF bar. I don't remember which it knocks off. Probably the Draw-tite.

Tennessee wants brakes for 1500+ pounds towed. If it came down to it, if I have a co-driver I suppose I could unhitch the 914 at the TN border and let it stretch its legs the rest of the way. smile.gif

No backing up, yeah, gotta remember that. I didn't back up with a trailer so should be ok.

Saw somewhere that flat towing can beat the heck out of the front of the towed vehicle, so I'll try to find a used bra as well.
DanT
flat tow all the way...pulled my racecar well over 3,000 miles. My car was the test bed for the Rennenmetal brackets...
These pics were of the prototype bracket...David and I worked on design and final specs after I had come up with the idea to use the tow eye brackets to attach a tow bar to...
two pins are pulled along with safety chains and you are ready to drive it....I left my bracket on the car all the time...never had any problems..
When I sold the car the new owner drove up from San Diego, hooked it to his 4Runner and pulled it home with no problems...
If I ever want to tow my 914 again, it will be with a new Rennenmetal Bracket.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Sep 10 2010, 10:41 PM) *

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards flat tow. I saw the HF bar. I don't remember which it knocks off. Probably the Draw-tite.

Tennessee wants brakes for 1500+ pounds towed. If it came down to it, if I have a co-driver I suppose I could unhitch the 914 at the TN border and let it stretch its legs the rest of the way. smile.gif

No backing up, yeah, gotta remember that. I didn't back up with a trailer so should be ok.

Saw somewhere that flat towing can beat the heck out of the front of the towed vehicle, so I'll try to find a used bra as well.

I tow in Tennessee all the time with a tow dolly and have also towed from one end to the other several times with a car on a trailer and have never had additional braking. They have never said a word to me. I also tow my ski boat which I see hundreds of people doing without additional brakes. Really don't think you will have anything to worry about.

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
Meet us in Memphis Wed night and drive on with us Thur. cheer.gif
Shoe is setting up a group rate there at a motel.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 11 2010, 12:11 AM) *

Meet us in Memphis Wed night and drive on with us Thur. cheer.gif
Shoe is setting up a group rate there at a motel.

You missed out on the group rate. I got ya one and when I posted to see how many wanted in nobody responded. You guys give me a list of who all wants a room or how many rooms that night I will try again. confused24.gif
bandjoey
1. I never saw the post
B. Everyone coming from Texas
BigDBass
memphis would add about 6 hours. Figuring I would stop wed night around lexington
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.