Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Fluid Type
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914four
I got my brakes redone a couple of years ago and the fluid is blue. How do I know what type of fluid to add? (DOT3, 4 regular or Synthetic?)
sean_v8_914
my guess is you have ATE Super Blue racing fluid. I think it is DOT 3. you can use DOT 3 or 4 or even a synthetic. it will take about 1 litter of fluid to completely exchange the fluid in all lines. you should do a complete purge once a year not longer that every 2 years.
DOT aproved street brake fluid is clear when new. it absorbs moisture from teh air. as this happens it is designed to turn dark to warn you. this moisture is what causes stuck caliper pistons and master cylinder walls to pit and fail.
sean_v8_914
AL has high humidity and extreme temp variations. it is time to flush it all out.
IronHillRestorations
The best way to go is to alternate between the Ate blue and gold, that way you know when you've got the old fluid out of the system. Porsche recommends changing brake fluid every 2 years.
914four
QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 11 2010, 07:11 AM) *

The best way to go is to alternate between the Ate blue and gold, that way you know when you've got the old fluid out of the system. Porsche recommends changing brake fluid every 2 years.

Thanks for the help. The ATE stuff is not easy to find around here. Where can I find the ATE brand?

Kelvin
pcar916
Both Blue and Gold are out there on the web and very easy to find. I used to believe that the ATE Blue is more hydroscopic than the gold. That turns out not to be true to any degree we can measure. They have the same replacement interval and I vote for once a year with a pressure-bleeder. Track cars that run consistently higher caliper temps obviously need it more often.

And agree.gif that alternating between the two makes life easier. Use clear vinyl tubing and with plenty of light. Place a white piece of paper behind the hose to know when the color is completely replaced by that of the new fluid.

Good luck
Cap'n Krusty
If you can't find Ate fluid locally, look for Castrol LMA. It's good stuff. You won't have the benefit of changing fluid colors to help you tell when the fluid's been exchanged, but you cal always just use about a half liter per caliper as a safety point. It may be less than that, but why not be safe? BTW, to the respondent who used the term "hydroscopic".. ..... It's "hygroscopic".

The Cap'n
pcar916
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 11 2010, 01:51 PM) *

"hydroscopic".. ..... It's "hygroscopic".

The Cap'n

Ooops it's true!!! Thanks Cap'n
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(PH1 @ Sep 11 2010, 06:27 AM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 11 2010, 07:11 AM) *

Thanks for the help. The ATE stuff is not easy to find around here. Where can I find the ATE brand?

Kelvin

http://www.gprparts.com/shop/

sean_v8_914
I suck out the MC and refill it with fresh fluid before I start the bleed out proceedure
if your not racing, use some off teh shelf DOT4
pcar916
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Sep 12 2010, 01:21 AM) *

I suck out the MC and refill it with fresh fluid...

agree.gif If it's just the reservoir you're talking about, rather than the cylinder itself. That does make for a big time/fluid saver. A really big syringe is a handy thing, but not the only solution. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.