Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Mufflers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
Ive been playing with the idea of changing the muffler on the 914, right now its just a simple glasspack cherrybomb thing. The sound is kind of cool, but extremely loud to the point its starting to get old. I was thinking of trying like a magnaflow muffler or something along those lines. My question is, is since there isn't much room between the bumper and the collector for the exhaust pipes, can i mount the muffler at an angle? Does a muffler have to be parallel to the ground, could it be mounted perpendicular to the ground and still function properly?

I can't really test the idea with the muffler i have now since its a perfect circle, but a muffler that has the ellipse shape is what im thinking of buying?

Kind of an odd question. thanks for the help everybody
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree! Nothing worse than a loud 914! Maybe I am old!

By the time you figure it out and test fit you would be better off buying a complete bolt on system like the bursch

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Sep 11 2010, 09:03 AM) *

Ive been playing with the idea of changing the muffler on the 914, right now its just a simple glasspack cherrybomb thing. The sound is kind of cool, but extremely loud to the point its starting to get old. I was thinking of trying like a magnaflow muffler or something along those lines. My question is, is since there isn't much room between the bumper and the collector for the exhaust pipes, can i mount the muffler at an angle? Does a muffler have to be parallel to the ground, could it be mounted perpendicular to the ground and still function properly?

I can't really test the idea with the muffler i have now since its a perfect circle, but a muffler that has the ellipse shape is what im thinking of buying?

Kind of an odd question. thanks for the help everybody

Andyrew
Ooor just go to a muffler shop and say "this is what I want to do" Then tell them they can not weld to the body, only mount to any existing mounts.
turnaround89
Id really like to try this on my own to see if i can do it. Ive been able to fix everything else on the car, and this was something i thought i would take a shot at as well. Im only 21 and yea, a loud car is great but ive had this sound for two years and its getting a little old, id like something more on the sleeper side for the car or even just a lower sound and not such a high pitch one.

Is it possible to mount the muffler in any orientation i want? My dad was thinking that the exhaust exit hole should be higher than the in hole since hot gases rise, thats the only issue we can really think of when mounting the muffler in a different orientation than i guess the "normal" way of mounting one
azbill
You can mount it any way you want. just make sure the tail pipe lines up with the valance cutout. It is a good idea to weld the assembly.
GeorgeRud
I'd agree with the advice to just purchase a Bursch and save yourself the hassles of having to jig and weld it in the proper position. All the engineering has already been done for you.

Actually, the original factory design is probably the best all-around compromise between power and noise.

Yeah, I'm getting old!
Andyrew
If you have the muffler, the muffler shop will charge you 30-70 to install it.

FYI
VaccaRabite
I am in the process with replacing my turbo style muffler with a regular old 80's BM v-8 style muffler. I have headers on the car, so my mounting is a little different. I am just going to weld a bar on the back of the muffler to attach it to the back of the transmission. Easy.

I am going to a quieter muffler, so I may loose some performance. But given that I have 2.25 inch pipes, I am not all that concerned about it.

Zach
IronHillRestorations
IIRC someone, maybe Jake, did some dyno testing and found the stock muffler made better horsepower than the Bursch, on a stock 2.0 engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.