Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POC at Streets of Willow 9/25-26
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
campbellcj
Hope to see some 914's there. Our numbers have been dwindling with all the defections to Boxsters, karts and so forth...

I will only be there Sunday but the clinic on Saturday is highly recommended (and required for licensing) for anyone new to the track experience.

http://www.porscheclub.com/
carbide914
Here are 2 new 914s coming to the clinic and the STS event Sep 25,26. We were at WSIR yesterday for Test & Tune.

#66 is a /6 currently running a 2.7L, the green car is a 2.0L (ex Steve Willie from San Luis Obispo)

Paul Deneen
'71 911T
'74 914

Sal Trevino
'71 914/6

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
QUOTE(carbide914 @ Sep 12 2010, 02:16 PM) *

Here are 2 new 914s coming to the clinic and the STS event Sep 25,26. We were at WSIR yesterday for Test & Tune.

#66 is a /6 currently running a 2.7L, the green car is a 2.0L (ex Steve Willie from San Luis Obispo)

Paul Deneen
'71 911T
'74 914

Sal Trevino
'71 914/6

Click to view attachment

Cool! I look forward to meeting you guys there. My car is the Phoenix Red #673. Look for the guy in the white helmet - that's me (LOL).

What run group will you be in, if you know yet?
carbide914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 12 2010, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(carbide914 @ Sep 12 2010, 02:16 PM) *

Paul Deneen
'71 911T
'74 914

Sal Trevino
'71 914/6

Click to view attachment

Cool! I look forward to meeting you guys there. My car is the Phoenix Red #673. Look for the guy in the white helmet - that's me (LOL).

What run group will you be in, if you know yet?

Chris,

Don't know what run group we'll be in. I guess that will be up to the instructors. We both have some competition background, but no current license. We'd like to move up to cup racing eventually, though these two cars would obviously be in different classes.

-Paul
J P Stein
I know that yellow car, Stan Bennet's rig. An older build but very well thought out.
He told me it was built in Germany back in the 70s. Stout motor that will rev forever....yes, I drove it. The suspenders were way too stiff for AX but probably great for a nice smooth race track.
Some pics:
campbellcj
Cool - thanks for the background info and pics JP. It will help me not get too depressed if we see a good 5-6 914's out there. Unless they all beat me.

SOW...smooth it isn't but as long as you avoid the cracks, potholes, curbs, and ditches, you can successfully run a pretty stiff setup. wink.gif
J P Stein
Heh....I drove it on the PIR infield which is none too smooth (in one pic).....unlike the big track at PIR which is smooth as a baby's ass. I think Stan put in many laps on that big track and the car is set up for it. I the infield we hopped from bump to bump with spine compressing frequency....the car was more solid than my ole bod. biggrin.gif

BTW, IIRC the car has no rev limiter..I saw 8K on the tach....oops. I'd fix that.
carbide914
JP - Yep, that's the one. You thought it was stiff before... We just finished a major front end overhaul. We started out trying to troubleshoot a wicked steering problem, and ended up re-fabricating all the steering linkage as well as a refurbished rack and new:
Elephant Racing/Von shock coilovers (Stan's old left strut was bent - that wouldn't have been your adventure at the PIR infield, would it?)
Brembo GP brake$ (because the old Bremteks wouldn't fit new Bilstein spindles)
ERP polybronze bushings front & rear

Now the car steers. No more excuses! Have to learn to drive it. I doubt we'll be catching Chris this time... but one of these days?

Paul
J P Stein
I don't think I hurt it ....I was unwilling to push it much as the spring rates felt twice as stiff as my car. For that venue it seemed the shock valving way way off ...not allowing the tires to follow the admittedly undulating road surface....very skitish....way too much rebound dampening, me thinks. The seat was slso .....
foxholeish....too low to see for WTF one was going.

It seemed to me to be a very good buy with all the spares involved but the interested buyer was looking for a plug in & play AX car. It would have needed quite a bit of work to get there.
stewteral
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 11 2010, 10:24 AM) *

Hope to see some 914's there. Our numbers have been dwindling with all the defections to Boxsters, karts and so forth...

I will only be there Sunday but the clinic on Saturday is highly recommended (and required for licensing) for anyone new to the track experience.

Hey Campbellcj:

I'd like to run a full day on Sunday at your event, but are you saying that before an experienced driver is allowed to run a POC event, he must go through your driving school first?

Is there a waiver for prior experience such as Russell Driving School, Bondurant Driving School, SCCA Driving School, SCCA SOLO I Driving School, ASRA Driving School, SCCA Regional licence holders and experience running other time-trial events?

Thanks,
Terry

campbellcj
Terry,

It would be awesome to see you out there. It's not "my" event (LOL) -- I'm just a lowly peon member -- but typically yes POC will sign-off on drivers with other licenses or significant experience. I think the protocol is to email the series chair or the club coordinator Laurie to give them a heads-up. There should be a blurb on this somewhere on the web site (www.porscheclub.com)
pauld
JP - I know what you mean about that seat. I test drove the car at WSIR before my partner Sal bought it and it was pretty hard to see through that teeny plastic windshield. I felt like I should be looking over the top of it. Anyway, Sal since had the seat re-done with an inch or so of extra padding so it doesn't feel so low now.

-Paul
J P Stein
My car was set up for AX & I like to see the ground 20-30 feet in front of the car.
In a track car I can dig getting your head down a bit more........the wind speed is Hurricane Force on the track but only Force 6 at AX.
As for my windshield...ah...full face helmets are a good thing. biggrin.gif

carbide914
Haha! That looks like a sweet car JP.
drew365
QUOTE(stewteral @ Sep 14 2010, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 11 2010, 10:24 AM) *

Hey Campbellcj:

I'd like to run a full day on Sunday at your event, but are you saying that before an experienced driver is allowed to run a POC event, he must go through your driving school first?

Is there a waiver for prior experience such as Russell Driving School, Bondurant Driving School, SCCA Driving School, SCCA SOLO I Driving School, ASRA Driving School, SCCA Regional licence holders and experience running other time-trial events?

Thanks,
Terry

You will get to run the event, it's just a question of how long you'll need an instructor with you and if they will give you a short track license without doing a school. Really, the school is a lot of fun. Having an in car instructor can be very helpfull also. After 8 years, I still often wish my car still had a passenger seat so I could get one of the fast guys to ride along and help me find those last two tenths that always seem to elude me.
WolfR32
So who all is going? I will be out there helping out but not driving on Sunday...
campbellcj
Here is a Pelican thread on this subject:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-aut...ent-reg-up.html

It sounds like there will be 5-6 914's there but it is hard to say.

The temps will be near 100F which is not as bad as Willow can get, but still fairly miserable. sad.gif
campbellcj
Well, good news, bad news...ain't it always that way?

I did pretty well but did not beat my time from last event at this track, or hit my 'target' which was almost 2 seconds faster than that. I was actually feeling like I was going to do it -- which would put me close to TTOD -- but my clutch cooked.

At first it was the same mild slipping I noticed before, mainly when the car is hot (plus it was >100F ambient today) but later it got much, much worse. By the end of the third session it started slipping under power when I wasn't even shifting, so I loaded up and came home.

On the plus side, I bumped my fuel pressure by .5 psi (to 3.5psi) and it almost completely cured the starvation in the tightest turns that has been plaguing me for ages.

It was great as usual to see familiar faces and I met Paul and Evan with that blue and green 914 shown above. There were two or three other 914-4's and no other 914-6's Sal didn't make it with the yellow car above sad.gif
WolfR32
It was great seeing all the 914's out! Sorry about the clutch Chris, but it was great seeing you again!
campbellcj
Paul,

Here is a shot of you at the end of the front straight. PM me with your email if you'd like the full-res copy.

IPB Image
Porsche 914 by cjcam, on Flickr

Cheers,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.