Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Fears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
c12croft
What's the best type of Fire Extinguisher, and where should it be mounted?
For street applications, other that automatic halon-type in compartment systems.
AutoAtlanta sales?
Spoke
I put mine in front of the passenger seat connected to the crossmember.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
halon is the best and use the bracket for right in front of the passenger seat. It tucks away handily for instant access

QUOTE(c12croft @ Sep 11 2010, 05:31 PM) *

What's the best type of Fire Extinguisher, and where should it be mounted?
For street applications, other that automatic halon-type in compartment systems.
AutoAtlanta sales?

BMXerror
All you need is right here. I've dealt with Paragon many times and they're an excellent company.
http://www.paragon-products.com/category_s/316.htm
I've got a 5 lb Halguard bolted through the floor in front of my passenger seat. It's tucked out of the way when someone is sitting there, but I can still get to it quickly enough when I need to. Plus, at 5 lbs, it's large enough to do some damage (to your fire, that is). I don't even know why they sell those 1 pounders. They're worthless.
The best thing you can do for fire protection, however, can be found right here.
http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessFuelLines.htm
Good luck, bud.
Mark D.
P.S. Sort of shown here. I was actually taking a picture of something else.
Click to view attachment
qa1142
The more $$ I get into my car the more I want to add a full 3 or 4 Nozzle system

I have SS fuel lines and all but rick reward says my little one mounted by my seat just does not seem adiquate (sp) to the investment anymore

maybe next year
campbellcj
Ideally it should be within the driver's reach while in your seat with seatbelt on. Obviously that does not leave many options - especially in a 914. In my prior (street) car I had an Amerex 2.5lb Halon bottle in between the seats where the center cushion tray thingie normally goes. Now I have a Spa 4L AFFF system in my current car.
URY914
Click to view attachment
pcar916
I have a 2.5lb Halon bottle between my seats and an 11lb bottle with three nozzles plumbed into the front trunk over the fuel cell, pointed at my crotch, and over the engine. Frankly, aqueous foam would likely be better for the engine since Halon really works best in enclosed places. But I already own these.

Having had one car (BMW) burn into a singularity, I consider the 2.5lb bottle as spitting at it and have lately considered a 5lb bottle instead, especially if it's the only one in the car. One other note since we're on this subject. The fire may start again if your battery is still feeding it.

Get a battery cut-off switch (with a resistor to ground to protect the alternator/ECU) and wire it into the main power circuit. If you put out the fire but the affected area still has enough juice to ignite more fuel, your bottle will be empty for the second round. You can hide the switch itself somewhere and put the mechanical pull cable or electrical button wherever you can reach it. Just my 2-cents.

That way you can cut off all power to the car before trying to fight the fire. These two things are, in my opinion, simply insurance. It's a PITA to build another car unless it's just for fun.
iamchappy
Like he said....

If your serious about putting out a fire, there is no such thing as overkill.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.