Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Only one horn?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete000
I had the front bumper off for the first time and noticed only one horn on the drivers side. The wiring is there for the optional fog lamps and horn on the passenger side, but there is a plastic cap where the bolt for the horn would go.

Mine is a 74 1.8 which seems to have near no options. Black bumpers, no fog lamps, tinted glass etc...

Did the base model not get dual horns?

Also my steering wheel is just black hard plastic. Most I have seen are moulded rubber leather look. Is this because of it being a base car as well?

I am new to the 914

Thanks for any info...

trent1542
QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 11 2010, 10:14 PM) *

I had the front bumper off for the first time and noticed only one horn on the drivers side. The wiring is there for the optional fog lamps and horn on the passenger side, but there is a plastic cap where the bolt for the horn would go.

Mine is a 74 1.8 which seems to have near no options. Black bumpers, no fog lamps, tinted glass etc...

Also my steering wheel is just black hard plastic. Most I have seen are moulded rubber leather look. Is this because of it being a base car as well?

I am new to the 914

Thanks for any info...

My '70 1.7L has two horns, one on driver side and one on passenger side, both on the inside of the fog lamps.
914Sixer
Base cars may have had only one horn. Adding a second low note horn is easy and the foglights are the same.
swl
The wiring diagrams show the second horn as an option.

I don't think I have ever heard of a 914 with a plastic steering wheel. Could you post a picture?
EdwardBlume
Porsche did a nice job of striping the 914 by 74 and later...
JFJ914
QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 12 2010, 01:14 AM) *

I am new to the 914

Thanks for any info...

Yes to all your questions. Everything was in an option package, appearence and performance, by '74.
pete000
Thanks for the info. Interesting how Porsche really de contented the 74.

I will post pictures of my steering wheel soon. I have not seen one before either. It is in great shape because the previous owners had a Pep Boys cover on it forever.

I found a set of fog lamps and dual horns last weekend at a pick a part which had a 73.

Nice that the wiring harness allows for near plug and play. They even included the grommets for the fog lamps taped up.
EdwardBlume
My '74 2.0 came with a center console, sail trim, and fuchs... but no sway bars or black bumpers....

Tom_T
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 12 2010, 07:06 AM) *

Porsche did a nice job of striping the 914 by 74 and later...

Actually ALL MY's NON-Appearance Group 914s came with only the one horn. In 73 MY only they offered the 2.0's with both the Appearance & Performance Groups of options included in the base price (with some possible exceptions later in the MY), but for 74-76 went to those all being extra cost items on both the 1.8 & 2.0 models, so you'll see some with & some without - although usually when the fogs & chrome bumpers are present, one would expect the dual horns.

Rob - that's why your 74 lacked the sway bars of the Performance Group (sways + alloys - usually Fuchs 2Ls) - but Fuchs could be added as a separate option in 74-76 MY 2.0's; & it may have had the full Appearance Group with the console, leather steering wheel/shift boot, hinged center cushion/box, loop pile carpet, vinyl rollbar/sails w/ bright alum. trim, chrome bumpers w/ fogs & dual horns (BTW that was the full AG set of options).

However, I've also seen conflicting info that the Fuchs were part of the AG & the PG was sways only. huh.gif

AG = Comfort Group & PG =Sport Group at Jeff Bowlsby's options list -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/OpEq.htm

Pete - go to his website main page & the other below for lotsa great info -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
p914.com
... as well as the 914 info link at the top of the page here!

.... and .... welcome.png
EJP914
Pete: my 74 1.8 has only 1 horn and a plastic steering wheel too. Blk painted bumpers and no fog lights. Seems this was the "budget priced" 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.