Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Title issues in CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikester
The saga continues...not even sure why I'm asking because I think I'm done with this one.

I've been looking for a 911 for a brief amount of time now...ideal car is an '81 or better SC with ~100k miles and in very good condition.

Well, the other day I was contacted by a guy who had one up in Studio City so at lunch I go to take a gander at it. It's a really gorgeous car and I've pretty much decided it's "the one" as it's just completely unmolested. I've never seen a better looking SC and it drove like a dream...

Now the problems; The guy bought it just over a month ago. He works with a speed shop in Studio City called "Speed Gallery." I went there to look at the car and it was a very nice looking operation. I've never heard of it but that really doesn't mean anything. So, he bought the car a month ago looking for a car to make into a race car. then decided that it was too unmolested to start molesting as his intentions were serious turbo modifications and such. So he decided to find a more appropriate car and to sell this one. Okay, I can buy that - he respects the car as it stands. That's cool. The thing is, since it hasn't even been 3 weeks since he did the paperwork to transfer the title he doesn't HAVE the title back from the DMV yet. So - he's got a bill of sale and the paperwork saying that he did the paperwork to transfer the title but no actual title yet. This bothers me a bit as the DMV won't issue me a title until they account for the outstanding title they haven't sent him yet. So we can do the bill of sale and record the release of liability with the DMV and such, but the actual transfer of title won't happen until he gets his in the mail and sends it to me - signed as required and then I take it to the DMV and finish things up. This could be a few weeks as the DMV is still processing his original title change request. My problem with that is - "what if the title change request gets kicked back?" - and that is where I'm stuck. I give him my money and he gives me the car and a bill of sale but that title is still outstanding.

I told him I was uncomfortable with that and while he said he understood he was still trying to make the deal happen.

CRAP!

Well, this morning he has left me a message saying he can arrange to have the car sold to me through a dealership called "Sports Trend Auto Sales" across the street from his shop. This would give me someone to hold responsible other than a private party if something went south. The fact is though, if something goes south - I'm going to be pissed. My family and I don't need that kind of stress over a car. I don't care how awesome it is.

So, I'm out - I think.

Am I being too sensitive? I don't really think so - it's a good chunk of cash for the car. I don't want to take an unnecessary risk. My wife trusts me and I have to respect that.

Lemme know what you think.

-The mikester, you're resident security simian.

boldblue.gif
KaptKaos
I think you should wait till the guy gets the title. Not like he can sell it to someone else.
Rockaria
Seems simple to me... You have the cash... As soon as he comes up with a title you will give him the cash. Done... If he has another buyer waiting then let them deal with the headaches. If not, no one is harmed and he just gets to hold onto the car a week or two. But if you are wiling he should have no problem saying... "Cool, lets wait till the title gets here." If he seems to be in a hury to complete the sell... WALK AWAY!

Just my thought. I would never buy a car from anyone without a title, or at least without knowing for definate a "Good" title exists.
lapuwali
I've had very good and very bad experiences with this kind of thing. The DMV hasn't taken more than four weeks to get me a title to any car I've bought in the last few years (I've had over a dozen in the last 10). Once they took six weeks. It's a roll of the dice. I'd wait for the title. Perhaps give the guy a good-faith deposit to hold the car if you really, really want this one. If the other guy puts up any fuss, keep looking. It's not that hard to sell a nice 911 in California, and it's really not that hard to find one, either.
mikester
Thanks guys, the guy is pushing me to get it done. So...I'm out.

I want a smooth transaction - this isn't it. I'm out.
ldino21
I would agree to a deposit arrangement, tell him you will give him a deposit showing good faith that you want to purchase the vehicle but that you wont give him the balance until the title is in your hands!! If he can't accept that, then something fishy is going on!!!
markb
QUOTE(ldino21 @ Apr 16 2004, 10:56 AM)
I would agree to a deposit arrangement, tell him you will give him a deposit showing good faith that you want to purchase the vehicle but that you wont give him the balance until the title is in your hands!! If he can't accept that, then something fishy is going on!!!

agree.gif
Caveman
If you take that guy with you to the DMV and they actually have the info in their system (you can call and check with just the license number who the registered owner is), you can do a no title change of ownership. Thats the same thing you do if somebody lost their title. I've done it. As long as that person satisfies the fugly woman at the DMV counter that he is who he says he is, and that matches the person on her computer, he can sign it over to you, on the spot. I would definitely call DMV and ask about it though. Once you actually get someone on the phone, they're happy to explain things usually (they sit and talk on the phone all the time, they like making people wait). Just make sure you call the DMV in a small town, not Oakland or something.
MXMARK
Mikester, The dealer across the street from the seller might have a DMV link machine. Maybe they could run a report on the title and reg. I use one everyday for motorcycle trade-ins. Who did he buy it from? A dealer? They might know about the paperwork. The dealer has to get a temp reg copy to the dmv within 5 days. Then they have to get the report of sell in within 30 days. How did he pay for the car? Does a lein holder have the title? I hope this helps Mark
jarbuthnot
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Apr 16 2004, 12:53 PM)
Just my thought. I would never buy a car from anyone without a title, or at least without knowing for definate a "Good" title exists.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.