Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT.long shot... porsche wheels on a stock Gia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
looking to mod a 65 Gia
we are hoping to build this car out to a road car so any ideas on suspension brakes etc
but i am hoping to fill the wheel wells with porsche wheels and tires
any thoughts on what wheel and tire will fit in a stock wheel well?
i think the two options are cookies
or 15x6 fuches
...or modified 15x6fuches
or 15x7s fuches
thanks guys
914junkie
I vote for 7 & 8 x 16 Fuchs and MAKE them fit smash.gif welder.gif Roll and pull the fenders if ya have to but stuff em under there somehow biggrin.gif Oh and put a turbo Suby motor in the back idea.gif Sounds like a cool project aktion035.gif
pete-stevers
no other ideas?? i thought someone in the crowd might have some thoughts
scotty b
phone dials from a 924S. Me personaly, I don't think the cookies look right on a ghia. Too hard and angular for such a rounded car. You MIGHT be able to get a set of 928 pans ( dish ) to fit, but the inside could be tight confused24.gif

Look through this thread

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...asc&start=0
Mark Henry
Fronts on a Ghia are the hard bit.
You can get the 6" to work but if you also plan to lower it you will have a challenge, you can run 145/15 on the front or cut and narrow the beam for a slightly bigger tire. You will need redrilled drums to achieve this, adapters won't work for sure. You can get re-pop Fuchs in a 5.5" that have the proper off-set for a beetle.
I have a buddy who can adapt any hub/brake setup you want.
underthetire
sunglasses.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 14 2010, 06:45 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
phone dials from a 924S. Me personaly, I don't think the cookies look right on a ghia. Too hard and angular for such a rounded car. You MIGHT be able to get a set of 928 pans ( dish ) to fit, but the inside could be tight confused24.gif

Look through this thread

[/quote]

Those are cookies, not dials BTW. I'm sure you can make them fit, question is late or early offset. Nice thing about the late offset is you HAVE to run spacers with them, but you can offset to whatever you need.

Opps, dials weren't in the mix, Scotty got me cornfused.
scotty b
[quote name='underthetire' date='Sep 14 2010, 07:55 PM' post='1370956']
sunglasses.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 14 2010, 06:45 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Look through this thread

[/quote]

Those are cookies, not dials BTW. I'm sure you can make them fit, question is late or early offset. Nice thing about the late offset is you HAVE to run spacers with them, but you can offset to whatever you need.

Opps, dials weren't in the mix, Scotty got me cornfused.
[/quote]

I happened to have that pic with cookies on my computer so I posted it for a look at them. I did not have a pic woith phone dials, nor could I find any, but I think phones would llook good as well as the pans I mentioned. Personally I like the older gasburners, raders BRM's etc. on Ghias. Those or slammed on the ground with a set of NICE stock chromies with smooth baby moons shades.gif

IMO Ghias are on of those cars that the look relies heavily on the right color. While they work with any color, they look SO MUCH better in the right shade. I like metallics on then, solid colors make the car look bland. Silvers and champagnes are dynamite
Bleyseng
I can't stand the super slammed look! WTF is that!
Yes metallics really show off the lines of a Ghia. I am still planning to paint mine back to it's original orange. I am going with 4 bolt Fuchs or a set of 15x6's 5bts I have.
Mark Henry
I like lowered but not slammed like the silver one, but I drive my cars. Most likely that's a bag job that you can raise for driving, it's the big fad at the bug shows. Handling is out the window when you do this. Note that this Ghia also has at least a 6"narrow job on the front beam just so you can turn the front wheels.

On the red Ghia with the 4-bolt fuchs I can see he's running 135/15 on the fronts. The green one with 5-bolt fuchs has a narrowed front beam.

I'm going with 4-bolt fuchs or sprintstars (I have both, so I'm on the fence) on my '67 bug for the disc brakes, but most peeps like to stick with the wide-5 on the >'67 Vw's for the vintage look. My bug has a 3" narrowed front beam so this will allow me to run 185/65-15 on the front and still be lowered. I've run the 135's in the past but I've slid through one too many stop signs on the skinny's.
VaccaRabite
I agree with Scott that Phones off a 924 would work well on a Ghia. They are too rounded for an angular wheel like cookies or fuchs. I bet phones would look great.

Other 914 wheels would also look good, if you could get the offset to work. Like Mahles.

Zach
EdwardBlume
Nothing wrong with slammed when its parked...

You guys are making me want a Ghia... shame on you! chair.gif
underthetire
Wish i had a pic of my brothers 64 vert. It had wide five with chromies and porsche nipple caps. He ran 195's and they fit perfectly.
Bleyseng
I wish mine looked like the red ghia!
pete-stevers
the shot of the gia with the 5bolt fuches...looks killer
ripper911
I like the Ghias, I want one for my next car, unless I buy another 914.

The prices are going up, so I think I'll get one soon even if it needs some work.
914junkie
Check these guys out, I think they are in Seattle. www.ghiaspecialties.com
IMO I think everything looks great stretched and flared. This look with big polished Fuchs would look incredible. And I totally agree on the metallic colors on Ghias.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.