Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch release bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete
I have a '74 that has been sitting for 10 years and no history before that. I was cleaning up the trans and removed the clutch fork. How do you tell if the clutch release bearing is worn? It does have play laterally on the guide tube however, the guide tube doesn't seem to be a very precise part. The 2 black plastic guide pieces seem pretty tight and the bushing that the ball rides in seems ok too.
underthetire
Push on it and spin it. If it feels rough, change it. Not always the best way to know for sure, but if it's rough with hand pressure, it will be very loud with clutch pressure.
Cupomeat
Play on the guide tube is not an indicator of wear as they don't really wear there. Also, the throwout bearing blocks do wear, but if they are tight, don't replace them.

Now, as for the actual bearing wear, does the center part of the bearing smoothly rotate and have minimal lateral play? If so, it is probably fine. It can be repacked by hand, or with a bearing packer if you want (and probably recommended)

In the old days they were good for 100k miles, and given what mileage we put on our 914s these days, it will probably last forever.

I hope that helps, and post a picture of your car!
pete
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Sep 13 2010, 11:15 AM) *

Play on the guide tube is not an indicator of wear as they don't really wear there. Also, the throwout bearing blocks do wear, but if they are tight, don't replace them.

Now, as for the actual bearing wear, does the center part of the bearing smoothly rotate and have minimal lateral play? If so, it is probably fine. It can be repacked by hand, or with a bearing packer if you want (and probably recommended)

In the old days they were good for 100k miles, and given what mileage we put on our 914s these days, it will probably last forever.

I hope that helps, and post a picture of your car!

Thanks Eric, now I know that the center ring should spin LOL. I just cleaned off all the crud and some further cleaning with a brass wire wheel the center ring now spins freely, has no lateral play and the bearing seem to be pretty quiet while spinning. I don't have a bearing packer, do I just force as much grease by hand as I can around the ring? Do I grease the guide tube as well when reinstalling it back on the trans?

This is my first car project. Like I said the car has been sitting for 10 years in my garage and I have no idea how long it was sitting in the sellers garage. My wife for the first time in 10 years said "DO SOMETHING WITH THAT CAR OR I WILL!" Then I found this forum, was completely inspired, and started working on it. Its pretty scary looking at this point. Plus I'm doing a SBC conversion so I have been cutting and grinding and, well, you know the drill. Its not much to look at yet. I will post pics as soon as I have something worthy to show.
pete
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 13 2010, 11:14 AM) *

Push on it and spin it. If it feels rough, change it. Not always the best way to know for sure, but if it's rough with hand pressure, it will be very loud with clutch pressure.

Thanks Jeff. Now I know it should spin LOL.
Cupomeat
WOW, your first 914 AND a SBC!

If you were not already knee deep in it, I'd suggest that you get the magic handling and low but adequate feeling of power of a 914-4 before you go the SBC route.

You could buy a bearing packer for cheap at Harbor Freight, or just do it by hand. Make sure all the external stuff is wiped away to reduce the sling when the bearing is spinning at 10k with that NASCAR race SBC motor you are putting in there (just joking).

Good luck and let me know if you wife want to sell off any other of your projects (cheap), lol-2.gif

I hope that helped.
pete
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Sep 13 2010, 12:20 PM) *

WOW, your first 914 AND a SBC!

If you were not already knee deep in it, I'd suggest that you get the magic handling and low but adequate feeling of power of a 914-4 before you go the SBC route.

You could buy a bearing packer for cheap at Harbor Freight, or just do it by hand. Make sure all the external stuff is wiped away to reduce the sling when the bearing is spinning at 10k with that NASCAR race SBC motor you are putting in there (just joking).

Good luck and let me know if you wife want to sell off any other of your projects (cheap), lol-2.gif

I hope that helped.

Eric, I see your in South Orange. My company is in Fairfield, 58 Clinton Rd. If your ever in the area during the week with your 914 stop in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.