Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Narrow body 3.0L 6 driver & AX weapon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
So...... since I sold the old FP car that I used for AXing with a 3.0L six this spring I still have the itch for the /6.

My first thought was to maybe build another car screwy.gif That's not going to happen. Before the FP car came along I used my 70 914 for AXing. It's been setup for street & AXing and does really well I think. I LOVE my 70, but I really have the itch for a /6. My issue is that I don't want to modify the body (add flares) to it.

I'm wondering about doing a /6 conversion to it, but leaving it a narrow body car. Anyone run a narrow body /6 for AXing? I know all about the cost of doing a /6 conversion, more interested in any issues you have seen. I would think one issue is having enough tire under the car to handle the power.

your thoughts?

Here is "mygokrt"

DanT
I had a 2.7RS motored 914-6 for 5 years...Street/AX/Track
I had narrow body and ran either 6" wheels with 205s front and rear or in the last few years ran 7" rears with 225s...
Was a great car, should have never sold it sad.gif
Won 5 years of Timetrial class trophies, set several track records for class and also several years of AX first in class. Didn't AX it as much as I Timetrialed it, but it was very capable at both. Was also my daily driver during this time and I drove it to every event I ever competed in...~25 time trials, several other track events, and at least 25+ AXs during my ownership...car eventually went to a Historic racer on the east coast somewhere.
If I do another 6 it will probably be narrow bodied...I just like the lines better smile.gif
ge9146
Hi Garold,

So what class do you want to run in? As you probably know in SCCA, FP allows up to 2.8 or 2.9L. EM is for big motors and light weight. And XP uses a sliding weight to displacement scale. PCA classes in AX let you use up to 2399cc in M3 and up to 3199cc in M4. Although wheel spin hurts you on the launch, it probably would help you in terms of tranny life.
Are you still interested in driving the car on the street?

This Saturday, Sept. 18th, the Michiana BMW club is having an AX at the Tire Rack if you can make it. Bring your 914. I plan to be there in a car with the engine in the wrong end since my 914 is still holding down my jackstands. I am not a member of their club but they put on a good event and you usually get 8 or so runs. Stop by and we can chat.

http://www.michiana-bmwcca.com/events.htm

Ed Scott
J P Stein
My car was hopeless on 205s......specially at the rear when I went to the 2.7L.
It was not bad with the 205/225 R specs ......it became a semi-narrow body. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 13 2010, 07:55 PM) *

So...... since I sold the old FP car that I used for AXing with a 3.0L six this spring I still have the itch for the /6.

My first thought was to maybe build another car screwy.gif That's not going to happen. Before the FP car came along I used my 70 914 for AXing. It's been setup for street & AXing and does really well I think. I LOVE my 70, but I really have the itch for a /6. My issue is that I don't want to modify the body (add flares) to it.

I'm wondering about doing a /6 conversion to it, but leaving it a narrow body car. Anyone run a narrow body /6 for AXing? I know all about the cost of doing a /6 conversion, more interested in any issues you have seen. I would think one issue is having enough tire under the car to handle the power.

your thoughts?

Here is "mygokrt"

If you go to the 6 would you be running slicks for autoX. Meaning 205/225 front / rear respectively equivalents in slicks? Are you also willing to upgrade the suspension?
IronHillRestorations
What are the limitations for tire/wheel width? That would be a determining factor. If I was building a narrow bodied high performance 914, I'd have custom offset 7's made from steel wheels.
underthetire
This might be a good starting point..
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/1948244153.html
DanT

that motor has a dead cylinder due to broken wrist pin.... sad.gif

QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 15 2010, 11:46 AM) *

This might be a good starting point..
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/1948244153.html

properly built 7" steelies work wonderfully. smile.gif under a narrow body.
J P Stein
Stick a naked 225 Hoosier A6 in that rear wheel well. Ad a half/three quarters of an inch
clearance to the inner fender for negative camber & tire flex. No way to get there on my car. Even with the hand hammered flares I had to ad a 1/4 inch spacer to keep it off the inner fender.( std 911 backspace 7 inch wheels)
Britain Smith
I think it is a great idea. I drove a 3.0L 914/6 narrow body car at Laguna, it was a blast. However, I can see where more grip would be nice. Make yourself a set of 16x7 fuchs with the 911R offset, that would be bitchin.

Regarding the motor, are you in the market? I just happen to have a 2.7L engine for sale along with all the conversion parts required. smile.gif

-Britain
GaroldShaffer
So what class do you want to run in?
More likely XP

Yes, It must do both street & AX Sorry Ed I can't make it this weekend.
If you go to the 6 would you be running slicks for autoX. Meaning 205/225 front / rear respectively equivalents in slicks? Are you also willing to upgrade the suspension?
Yes.

Britain, I'm not ready to make the jump just yet. I need to make sure my J O B is still here next year once the Motorola / Nokia Siemens Networks buy out is completed.

Thanks for the input guys.
Randal
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 16 2010, 10:23 AM) *

More likely XP

Yes.

Britain, I'm not ready to make the jump just yet. I need to make sure my J O B is still here next year once the Motorola / Nokia Siemens Networks buy out is completed.

Talk to the Avon guys in the UK. What they will tell you is that most US racers, when it comes to tire size/slicks, think more is better. I know that is what I thought. Anyway, if the tire isn't reaching operating temperature, especially the soft slicks, then it can't do it's job.

The Marina is the world's greatest example. If you check your tire temperatures there and aren't getting up to the operating range of the slick, like 180 degrees or better, then you aren't getting the benefit of the compound.

I had one experience at the Marina where this played. I was running Hoosier 205 slicks (autox compound) on my 914 and one day it just ended up being hot, which is unusual. That day my tires were (finally) reaching the correct operating range and the car's handling was just unbelievable. It was just sticking. So what I subsequently learned, when talking to the Avon guys, was on that particular day I just happened to find the right conditions and my tires got hot enough to really work.

I personally don't think I've ever got my bigger slicks to the correct operating temperature, especially with autox, to feel that same degree of handling.

Conclusion: You could have a blast with a 205 / 225 tire combination with slicks like the rain compound slicks from Avon on a 914-6.

But that being said I would also suggest some front sway bar upgrades as well as making sure I had some great shocks underneath the car. I'm going to be upgrading my shocks shortly, going to a reserve reservoir type of shock where I know I have more control over the handling.

I personally don't like sway bars in the back, instead vote for figuring out the right spring combination, but others will have strong opinions on this.

The other thing that will greatly enhance your handling will be a cage to stiffen up the car and allow the suspension, as set, to work.
sixaddict
G-MAn
I have two narrow body cars...One will handle 225 50 16 on fuchs 16 x 7. Fenders were rolled and pull but looks very "stock"

Also have one that is a conversion and I will send you pics but this would be more expensive and not as "stock " looking. This one will handle 8 x16 951 wheels I think..Sends me email address and I will send pics. The latter may(?) be for sale as roller. Haven't decided but not too cheap but well done.
I would be happy to share pics.

Terry

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 16 2010, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 16 2010, 10:23 AM) *

More likely XP

Yes.

Talk to the Avon guys in the UK. What they will tell you is that most US racers, when it comes to tire size/slicks, think more is better. I know that is what I thought. Anyway, if the tire isn't reaching operating temperature, especially the soft slicks, then it can't do it's job.

The Marina is the world's greatest example. If you check your tire temperatures there and aren't getting up to the operating range of the slick, like 180 degrees or better, then you aren't getting the benefit of the compound.

I had one experience at the Marina where this played. I was running Hoosier 205 slicks (autox compound) on my 914 and one day it just ended up being hot, which is unusual. That day my tires were (finally) reaching the correct operating range and the car's handling was just unbelievable. It was just sticking. So what I subsequently learned, when talking to the Avon guys, was on that particular day I just happened to find the right conditions and my tires got hot enough to really work.

I personally don't think I've ever got my bigger slicks to the correct operating temperature, especially with autox, to feel that same degree of handling.

Conclusion: You could have a blast with a 205 / 225 tire combination with slicks like the rain compound slicks from Avon on a 914-6.

But that being said I would also suggest some front sway bar upgrades as well as making sure I had some great shocks underneath the car. I'm going to be upgrading my shocks shortly, going to a reserve reservoir type of shock where I know I have more control over the handling.

I personally don't like sway bars in the back, instead vote for figuring out the right spring combination, but others will have strong opinions on this.

The other thing that will greatly enhance your handling will be a cage to stiffen up the car and allow the suspension, as set, to work.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.