Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 Main Bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
I bought the only set of standard size main bearings I could find last week. I paid $100 over what they probably should cost. Anyone else buy them recently, how much?

FWIW I didn't try AA. Nothing personal, I have had good dealings with them. Once I found the bearings, I just secured them. I was tired of looking.
draganc

The std. Main bearings are kind of available, if you go with first or second undercut it’s gonna be difficult/expensive – NLA.

Jake does not offer them any longer via his shop – I checked about 2-3 weeks ago.

I bought my set in Germany (orig. Kolbenschmidt), they are now priced around $150-$175.

How much did you pay for your set?

Jake Raby
Instead of charging astronomical rates for them, like others are doing.. We decided to halt sales and retain our stock for our purposes of engine production.

I have heard prices as high as 500.00/set coming from some sources, the going rate is around 200.00
jasons
I paid $175, they are Kolbenschmidt. I don't want to say where I got them because I don't want to promote any vendor bashing. I knew the price was in the ballpark of the market so I pulled the trigger. Otherwise what do I do, wait for a new run?
draganc
i just checked in germany: stdxstdxstd -NLA :-(

I only see .25 and .50 undercut avalibel for a about $175 and that's "list" price.
draganc
[quote name='draganc' date='Sep 14 2010, 06:56 AM' post='1370476']
i just checked in germany: stdxstdxstd -NLA :-(

I only see .25 and .50 undercut avalibel for a about $175 and that's "list" price.

They have as well other sizes. I can assit if someone needs any.
Jake Raby
A new run is AT LEAST 18 months away. They may NEVER be ran again.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
We had plenty in stock until about three weeks ago. Still have plenty of .25 .50 and .75, but the standard mains are discontinued by the factory and by VW. We have a resupply of Mahle coming at the end of February (was supposed to be at the end of last month!!!!!, and should have a resupply of the standards here in three weeks.

QUOTE(jasons @ Sep 14 2010, 06:56 AM) *

I bought the only set of standard size main bearings I could find last week. I paid $100 over what they probably should cost. Anyone else buy them recently, how much?

FWIW I didn't try AA. Nothing personal, I have had good dealings with them. Once I found the bearings, I just secured them. I was tired of looking.

Borderline
I bought a set of std/.5 overbore for $100 from HPH and thought I was being taken. Now I don't feel so bad. biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
It is absolutely ridiculous that standard main bearings for a type four would be in such short supply!!!

QUOTE(Borderline @ Sep 14 2010, 08:26 AM) *

I bought a set of std/.5 overbore for $100 from HPH and thought I was being taken. Now I don't feel so bad. biggrin.gif

Jake Raby
George,
Its no surprise really.. I expected this to happen for at least the past 3 years.

The solution we are working on takes Mahle and KS totally out of the mix, with a bit of case and crank work the OE bearings will never need to be sourced again :-)
draganc
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 14 2010, 06:58 AM) *

A new run is AT LEAST 18 months away. They may NEVER be ran again.

I guess you just jacked up the prices for all the remaining std. bearing sets out there....
brant
I guess now would be a good time for me to sell my std/std 2.0 crank and German standard bearings I have stored up
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If there will ever be a solution, Jake, you will BE the solution. No one on earth has the commitment to the type four engine rehabilitation that you do.

We just found four sets of standard mains and paid 125 a set for them! Supply and demand.

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 14 2010, 08:48 AM) *

George,
Its no surprise really.. I expected this to happen for at least the past 3 years.

The solution we are working on takes Mahle and KS totally out of the mix, with a bit of case and crank work the OE bearings will never need to be sourced again :-)

draganc
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 14 2010, 10:44 AM) *

...We just found four sets of standard mains and paid 125 a set for them! Supply and demand....

are they for sale and for how much? av-943.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(draganc @ Sep 14 2010, 01:35 PM) *

...We just found four sets of standard mains and paid 125 a set for them! Supply and demand....

I will start with an offer of $45.00... with free shipping!
draganc
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 14 2010, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(draganc @ Sep 14 2010, 01:35 PM) *

you want that with cream and sugar on top? lol-2.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(draganc @ Sep 14 2010, 04:37 PM) *

you want that with cream and sugar on top? lol-2.gif

No thanks - I wouldn't want to make a silly offer! smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have to use them on these engine rebuilds of ours!!!!!

QUOTE(draganc @ Sep 14 2010, 12:35 PM) *

Cap'n Krusty
See my ad in the classifieds ...................... (Edit.) If you're just seeing this, forget it. It's all gone

The Cap'n
banger
BusDepot has a few sets of bearings left, at $45 each.
draganc
QUOTE(banger @ Sep 14 2010, 03:38 PM) *

BusDepot has a few sets of bearings left, at $45 each.

the std. are $99.95. however, still better then $175.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.