Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: good Ebay purchase?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trent1542
I just won an ebay auction for 4 1.7L fuel injectors
I got them all for $15.00

the sellers description of them is as follows:
"4 good working injectors for a 1.7 porsche 914 these are used and do show signs of there age and use"

the seller has 100% positive feedback with 240 ebay items sold.

ok now a few questions

are these d-jet injectors?
do they look good or worn?
how can we test them to see if they work (without installing them on the engine ofc)

picture attached is the picture the seller posted on the auction page
Click to view attachment
draganc
i would highly suggest you send them off to get cleaned (i.e. witch hunter and/or others). it's about $15 a piece and they will give you a data-sheet before and after.

what's the p/n? if: 0 280 150 019 , this should be for D-Jet.
underthetire
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Sep 14 2010, 03:39 PM) *

I just won an ebay auction for 4 1.7" fuel injectors
I got them all for $15.00

the sellers description of them is as follows:
"4 good working injectors for a 1.7 porsche 914 these are used and do show signs of there age and use"

the seller has 100% positive feedback with 240 ebay items sold.

ok now a few questions

are these d-jet injectors?
do they look good or worn?
how can we test them to see if they work (without installing them on the engine ofc)

picture attached is the picture the seller posted on the auction page
Click to view attachment

Looks almost like one green injector, and some yellow ones, but could be the brown ones. Different color tips on them as well.
trent1542
QUOTE(draganc @ Sep 14 2010, 03:58 PM) *

i would highly suggest you send them off to get cleaned (i.e. witch hunter and/or others). it's about $15 a piece and they will give you a data-sheet before and after.

what's the p/n? if: 0 280 150 019 , this should be for D-Jet.

how do they clean them over at Witch Hunter?
could I just put them in hot water and scrub real good or would the hot water melt the plastic parts?

the seller didn't state the p/n in the auction but I can email him to found out
as of now nothing is final and I haven't paid yet.
underthetire
Water & injector=bad. Need to be ultrasonic cleaned, and even better to disassemble them and clean. I thought it was more like 40 buck each to have done myself.
trent1542
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 14 2010, 04:01 PM) *

Looks almost like one green injector, and some yellow ones, but could be the brown ones. Different color tips on them as well.

the the different colors are just from replacement parts? or maybe they are different colors to tell which cylinder to install them on?

I know just about nothing about the 1.7 engine, other than it's a flat-4, djet fuel injection, aircooled engine.
trent1542
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 14 2010, 04:05 PM) *

Water & injector=bad. Need to be ultrasonic cleaned, and even better to disassemble them and clean. I thought it was more like 40 buck each to have done myself.

ok thanks... but how do I test them manually myself? I will send them to witch hunter or some other fuel injector cleaning company if they don't work or not very well.
ConeDodger
I'm not sure who Witch Hunter is but Marren and RCEngineering all clean and blueprint injectors.
trent1542
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 14 2010, 04:20 PM) *

I'm not sure who Witch Hunter is but Marren and RCEngineering all clean and blueprint injectors.

ok cool thanks for the other names.. do you know how to manually test the injectors?
914Sixer
New ones are about $60 each with VW ends.
trent1542
manual testing? anyone?
SLITS
You can't test them except for ohm resistance ... I would have to look it up but I think it is 2.5 ohms.

You can check the solenoid with a 9 volt battery to see if it clicks.

A machine is used to clean them. First the micro screen is pulled from the inlet and a cleaning solution is run through them for 24 hours (approximate). They are also pressure tested to see if they leak between the plastic top and barrel assembly.

After cleaning, they are flowed at a specific pressure (3 Bar) to make sure they are up to spec on flow rates. don't have the spec in front of me for the yellow top.

One they complete the process, a new mirco screen is installed and new pintle caps are installed.

Minimal success is achieved by taking them apart. Getting them to reseal is the problem. Supposedly Python Injection in Stanton, CA is the only one who has the molds to recast the plastic top.

GB Reman was selling the injector cleaning machines @ $8K a crack sometime ago. They do 8 or 12 injectors at a time as I remember.

I use Witch Hunter in Bothell, WA.
trent1542
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 14 2010, 05:00 PM) *

You can't test them except for ohm resistance ... I would have to look it up but I think it is 2.5 ohms.

You can check the solenoid with a 9 volt battery to see if it clicks.

A machine is used to clean them. First the micro screen is pulled from the inlet and a cleaning solution is run through them for 24 hours (approximate). They are also pressure tested to see if they leak between the plastic top and barrel assembly.

After cleaning, they are flowed at a specific pressure (3 Bar) to make sure they are up to spec on flow rates. don't have the spec in front of me for the yellow top.

One they complete the process, a new mirco screen is installed and new pintle caps are installed.

Minimal success is achieved by taking them apart. Getting them to reseal is the problem. Supposedly Python Injection in Stanton, CA is the only one who has the molds to recast the plastic top.

GB Reman was selling the injector cleaning machines @ $8K a crack sometime ago. They do 8 or 12 injectors at a time as I remember.

I use Witch Hunter in Bothell, WA.

thanks!
draganc
ups, i was wrong about the price. it's $19 not $16 per injector.

here are some infos about the cleaning process:

http://witchhunter.com/process2.php4

again, this is one of many companies that offer such kind of service. i picked up witch hunter from another member's recommendation.

Bleyseng
send em to Witch Hunter as he will clean/test em but most old injectors leak like shit...I have run thru a bag of green and yellows and ended up with 8 good green ones and no good yellows.
I bought new yellow ones on sale at BusDepot for cheap....
Als914
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Sep 14 2010, 04:49 PM) *

manual testing? anyone?

Here you go. Read all about it. http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop...Cat&catId=3
underthetire
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Sep 14 2010, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 14 2010, 04:01 PM) *

the the different colors are just from replacement parts? or maybe they are different colors to tell which cylinder to install them on?

I know just about nothing about the 1.7 engine, other than it's a flat-4, djet fuel injection, aircooled engine.

Different colors are different injectors. Yellow- 1.7 Djet, green=big money=2.0 D-jet, brown is L-jet. Brown are not compatible with either of the other ones. They have a different resistance on the coils.
trent1542
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 14 2010, 09:00 PM) *

Different colors are different injectors. Yellow- 1.7 Djet, green=big money=2.0 D-jet, brown is L-jet. Brown are not compatible with either of the other ones. They have a different resistance on the coils.

can yellow(1.7L) and green(2.0L) injectors be used together on a 1.7L engine?

In the picture I posted in the OP, the far right injector looks bigger than the other 3? possibly 2.0L djet?
SLITS
they have different flow rates in cc/min at operating pressure. While it would work, you would have a disparity of mixture between cylinders.

They will have a number cast into the plastic top edge.

0 280 150 009 .... 1.7L Yellow
0 280 150 019 .... 2.0L Green
0 280 150 112 .... 1.8L Blue
0 280 150 105 .... 2.0L Black? (912E)

If they are replacements, they could be a different color, but will not have the Bosch Number on them.
sean_v8_914
mixing green and yellow is common but incorrect. I see it alot on djet cars. they run OK. i have a 1.7 car in teh shop with 1.7 injection runing green injectors. my belief is that it should run rich but the exh and plugs look OK. Ill be doing an AFR log on it today. customer did complain of poor fuel economy
I have used wich hunter in WA many times, I send him batches. he provides flow rate documentation and numbers each injector. I then make matched sets. i dont know if this reall makes a difference but it makes me sleep better
Bleyseng
I do run green injectors on 1911 engines witha Raby cam and 2.0L intake setup as there just isn't enough fuel with the yellows.
underthetire
If i remember correctly when I did the Megasquirt, yellow were 25CC injectors and green were 35CC. Trying to go by memory though. You must have all the same injectors, no matter what system it is.
trent1542
ok so I sent a message to him regaurding the colors and here is what he sent back:

"i think that one of them has been rebuilt or its a reman one yes i did hook them to my 1.7 and put each into a shot glass to make sure they worked didnt leak and to see if the flow was the same."

I hope he's not lying cause I just sent the $15 via paypal.
Pat Garvey
I've used Witchunter with great success & recommend them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.