Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MPS Diaphrams
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
There was a discussion at length about different possibilities of making some of these. The electrical portion of the MPS rarely fails unless water was a factor. Anybody in the process of making them?
EdwardBlume
Aren't the diaphrams made out of unobtainium? or some bad stuff ?
76-914
IIRC, copper/beryllium and I think it was Jim Kelly's thread.
Bleyseng
some one needs to figure out the center as I can get the metal. We also need someone to machine the stamping die to punch the diaphram...

I have no time working mostly in South America these days.....
StratPlayer
Will Volvo MPS diaphram's work.
jk76.914
I got sidetracked with the Bosch traditions offer to remanufacture MPS, including new diaphram and seals, albeit for a hefty price. I tried to get them to offer a rebuild kit, including diaphram and seals, but they weren't interested.

Where I am- Summer came, and car was running sweet, so this has been on the back burner. I was able to test a diaphram at work and confirm "presence" of Be in the alloy, though not quantify it. That's probably enough, because 2%-3% is typical, and more doesn't do much property-wise in our application. Brush-Wellman offers a couple of alloys of BeCu sheet that should fit the bill.

Also, since I have several diaphrams of various design and vintage that are intact, my next step is to make some of the seals for the housing and for the calibration screw in the diaphram. That's what I'll do first when I get to it- maybe next month.

As far as the Volvo diaphram goes- I imaging it's the same one. I have measured and disassembled two Volvo MPS's and I think they are exactly the same, except for the calibration...

Jim Kelly
StratPlayer
I'm asking about the volvo MPS because I have some NOS volvo MPS's and I was thinking about taking them apart for the diaphram.
914Sixer
The Volvo ones will probably work if they are the same style as the VW ones. Early Type 3 VW did not have a diaphram, I bought a NOS one thinking it had one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.