Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do I buy Steel Braided Hoses?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Corkus
Obviously, any Subaru Engine Conversion like my car is going to need radiator lines.

Anyone recommend a good place to buy 1.5" steel braided radiator hoses long enough to reach a front mounted radiator?

Thanks all.
campbellcj
Summit Racing would be a good bet; I've also used Pegasus and others.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 14 2010, 11:57 PM) *

Summit Racing would be a good bet; I've also used Pegasus and others.

agree.gif

I have been told by local shop owners that Summit is the place to go for hose and hose end fittings. They have a ton of product, so it takes a minute to find what you are looking for, but they have it!

Zach
pcar916
I've used them all and they can be compared online. I'd give Racer Parts Wholesale a shot. Their prices are often considerably less than Summit and Pegasus on AeroQuip bits.
Rotary'14
I was under the impression that most guys run "marine hose" in various sizes. Renegade sells a set for like $100,, but I think computers4kids said it can be had for much cheaper at truck supply places. I think marine hose is quite durable.

-Robert
realred914
Hot rod shops, Gotellis in South San Fransisco is one good one. I second the option for marine grade or gates green stripe hose under the chassis , it is super strong stuff and will likley survive road hits better than regular hose with stainless braind, teh stainless braid could easily get torn up. stainless would look nice however in teh trunk, but probably ain't needed for underside of car
underthetire
Personally, I like what a member did here using copper pipe up the channels in the tub, then using a flex off of that. Wish I still had the picture.
VaccaRabite
I'd not run it under the car. I'd run it like they did with the dealer installed AC units. Along the outside of the longs, between the long and the rocker panel.
strawman
I just bought 13' of 1" ID hose for engine output to radiator intake, and 13' of 1-1/4" hose for radiator output to engine intake. I purchased marine grade heater hose from Ebay; something like $150 shipped to my door. I couldn't find any truck supply places in my area that sell those sizes in bulk (they would only sell me 50' reels). You can also buy the materials directly from Marine Surplus at (239)332-0909. These hoses will be mounted in the recesses under the chassis for my Suby EJ22T (turbo) engine.

Geoff
BIGKAT_83
I'm not sure but I don't think you can get Stainless braided hose that large
. Even if you could it would be way too expensive. When you start getting into the larger sizes the fittings alone cost in the hundreds of dollars. I'd go like strawman went and use some of the better rubber hoses .

Bob
ConeDodger
If you are truly in Northern California, McMark at Original Customs can build you custom hoses at his shop in Sonoma. I suspect he'd love to see your Subie conversion too...
underthetire
And what do we consider Northern? stirthepot.gif

realred914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 15 2010, 08:45 AM) *

I'd not run it under the car. I'd run it like they did with the dealer installed AC units. Along the outside of the longs, between the long and the rocker panel.

problem with that mounting is how to route the hoses into the trunk from the rockers without going under the car.

really under teh car is great with the right rugged hose, the gares green stripe hose is tough as tire tread it seems, and can take being bottomed out with no damage. routing is very simple this way

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.