Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Small World
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
So my good friend Andy Stone has told me that his father used to "race" Porsche's ect on the weekends, I never really gave it much thought as lots of guys are weekend warriors. I told him to scan me a picture next time he goes back home. He didn't scan one, but sent me this one one and said this was him and it was a RSR

Click to view attachment

So I look at the VIN 911 460 0035 and realize it's not a "real" RSR so I dig further and learn that it is the ex Allison IROC car from 74 converted to RSR specs under Bob Beasley and raced a bunch at Daytona ect.

Andy says his dad loved that car and shed a tear when it was sold.

Anyhow I go through my pics from Parade last year at Keystone CO and bingo, same car converted back to IROC specs

Click to view attachment

Tell my friend Andy that the car now lives here in CO and I know the owner, he's passing the info on to his Dad. I just got off the phone with the car's owner who is excited to talk to a previous owner so we are going to arrange a get together soon. Small world.

Ferg
scotty b
Um yeah small world. I know Bob Beasley very well. He lives here in Richmond he used to run several different 911's with they guy I started out working for, Crow Reynolds. Ask your friend if he knows Crow. He will probably have some interesting things to say about him if he does know him! Crow astill has one of Bobs doors hanging in nthe shop, might even be the one off of that car. I'll take a pic next time I go over there.
Ferg
Will do, he raced with Beasley in the early 80's so chances are good. His name was George Stone, had some really neat earlier 911 racers as well.

URY914
I've seen that car run at Sebring and Daytona.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 15 2010, 03:08 PM) *

I've seen that car run at Sebring and Daytona.

And I saw it at Riverside ...................

The Cap'n
Ferg
Got a email from George my buddys father...

"What a great restoration job! Bob Beasley bought the blue (Allison) car, probably from Roger Penske, after the IROC series was completed. It was also driven by David Pearson, if I recall correctly. There were four races, and the drivers drew numbers to see which car they got, so a car could've had as many as four drivers.

After Bob bought it, he put on larger fender flares, a different front spoiler, a bigger rear wing, and lightened it as much as possible. But he kept all the old parts, which I'm sure he sold with the car, and that helped the restoration to original condition a great deal, I'm sure. I think he told me he sold it for about $25,000 -- I'm guessing it's probably worth over $500,000 in the shape it's in now.

I've got a fair number of pictures of the car as we raced it, with both #8 and #88 on it. We ran the Daytona 24 hour, Sebring, a 500 mile race at Mid-Ohio, and I think at Watkins Glen as well. I've also got some pictures of the original IROC races someplace, that I took at Daytona. They ran at Riverside and Daytona (the road course), I know, and I think at Michigan and another oval, maybe Talladega. Mark Donohue won the first championship, but there were some other top drivers who couldn't compete because of sponsorship conflicts: Mario Andretti couldn't race because he was under contract with Firestone, and they wouldn't let him wear a race suit with the Goodyear patches.

The cars were not like any other Porsche race cars -- they were unique to the IROC series. The first 1973 "production" race cars (like the ones that Brumos and Penske ran at the 24 Hour, which Brumos won), had smaller flares, and the duck tail, instead of the whale tail. The later production race cars had the larger flares and the whale tail, but they also went to a 2.8 liter engine, while the IROC cars (I'm pretty sure) used the 2.5 liter engine that was in Peter Gregg's 24-hour winning car. Penske's car (which was pitted next to mine) retired while leading due to a holed piston. That's it in the pictures I sent you from my cousin Rowland, who was on my pit crew and took a fair number of pictures.

OK, enough reminiscing for now -- but it's a treat to see how well that car has been restored, for sure!"
carr914
My Good Friend David Pannicione that passed a few months, raced an exIROC that was converted to an RSR. I always thought the 74 Lightweight Flared Euro Carrera that I bought from him was going to be his recreation
scotty b
I can tell you the damn doors opn that car weigh aboiut 5 lbs. The one crow has in his shop is light as a feather. I sent him a email with that pic attatched. Probably have lunch with him sometime next week. If your buddies dad wants Bob's number I can get it for him.
URY914
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Why is this in the sandbox? confused24.gif
Ferg
You can move it, was not thinking when I started it.

scotty b
Finally got over to Crows shop. The door he had was a fiberglass door from that car that Bob onl;y ran once. He saw a Vette get hit and explode and swapped the glass doors out for steel ones, most likely the ones in the pic you posted. This door probably only weighs 6 lbs evilgrin.gif
Ferg
Cool, Car's current owner is just down the road in Denver, we are going to reunite my buddy's dad and the car sometime in the spring most likely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.