Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does this scam ever work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Racer
ok.. While I certainly wasn't expecting an earth shattering amount of interest in my 1.7 core motor, as advertised in the for sale area and offered for free, you can only imagine my suprise when someone offered me $2000 for it!

Not wanting to disappoint a possible buyer (or miss a possible sale) I bit, and asked how we might make this deal work!

Seems my buyer was located in S. Africa, but had debts owed to him by someone in the US. He would simply have a "Cashiers" check sent to me (by mail)for the amount "he was owed", and once cleared, I would send him the "balance"... not a word about the shipping of the motor.

So if: scot freeman joe (scot_freeman@myway.com)
contacts you about a similar deal, be for warned!

Maybe I should have said "yes", this way he could be wanted for Mail Fraud, a US FEDERAL offense, no?

Here's one for you, Scot finger.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Racer @ Apr 16 2004, 04:02 PM)
Maybe I should have said "yes", this way he could be wanted for Mail Fraud, a US FEDERAL offense, no?

They get so much of this the cops won't even bother with it. It's in another country with no extradition, etc.

If you want to play you could say sure send it, then tell him you never got it...send another one, etc.
But he would see you were playing with his head and give up in short order.

Just better to tell him to stfu.gif and pissoff.gif
bwilless
I got a couple of these emails. I tell the guy to send the check. Then I give an address like

FBI headquarters
6969 Justice Ave
Quantico, VA

I never hear back confused24.gif
jarbuthnot
This one or variations of it has been around so long, they must find some suckers to bite. Don't understand why, but as P T Barnum said...
sanglee007
Pleeze send casheir's check to me at:

G. W. Bush
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

-------------------------------------
I wonder if he'd cash it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.