Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bolt Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
What is the best way to clean / restore old dirty bolts that CAN be reused?

Or is just easier to buy new?
McMark
Easier to buy new. You can wire wheel them, but corroded fasteners have lost their zinc coating, so they won't stay clean for long.
Tom_T
Rob - if by "CAN be reused" you mean not corroded - then WD40, parts cleaner, soda blast, etc. can work - but you may want to then strip the cleaning agent with acetone/etc. & send them out for replating to gold Cad or Zinc per original finish on them. Sept. 2010 "Auto Restorer" has a good article on bolt types & strengths & markings thereon FWIW. Otherwise if corroded then, I agree with Mark if they're available today - but make sure you're matching the correct type/size/finish & strength as used with OE.

Mark Heard has told me that you can add them to a PMB caliper rebuild order & Eric Shea will send them out with the appropriate type batch replate when he does his caliper resto's - otherwise a local plater can do them - but check price vs. new as they may be the same or close enough to not warrant the time & effort - even if it's for Dad's 914! biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
Cool.

Its mainly for the brake dust shield bolts and the rear shock bolts. It'd be a shame to use old bolts when I'm reassemblin' the bling...

[font=Arial]
Eric_Shea
It's always cheaper to buy new when you can. Dust shield bolts should be purchased... I have rear shock bolts in stock if you want them.

Look here:

www.mcmaster.com

We zinc plate (yellow and black) all of the fasteners that we cannot purchase new which is, all M7, M8 Ribe and M9 stuff. If you have a batch you want plated send them on, especially if your local plater has a minimum (most seem to).

The Porsche Classic Parts Catalog is invaluable in getting proper sizing and thread pitch:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...partscatalogue/
underthetire
Lennie was trying to do his. I'm wondering for batch clean up with screws and nuts, if one of those spark plug media blaster units would work if slightly modified.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-spa...aner-32860.html
Drums66
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 15 2010, 10:15 AM) *

You can wire wheel them,

get out the wire wheel & brush!.......work it! poke.gif bye1.gif
qa1142
Another Brad Mayeur trick

Get yourself a rock tumbler, great for small parts

Throw your parts in let it run with tumbling compound in it stirthepot.gif

Come back in a day or two

Done - no work at all
914Sixer
I clean all my bolts first, then wire wheel them. Then they go off to the platter but I make sure I have 50 lbs or more because of the cost. Here is a shot of what comes back. These shiny bolts took many hours to clean and polish up with the coarse and then the fine wire wheel. The large bolts are really cost effective this way as most of them are $2.00 and up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.