Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just had to have them!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
I just wanted to share a project that I had been planning for the last 20 years, a 5 lug changeover.
I had been gathering the parts for a long time and I finally said I was gonna do it, I set the time aside (planned on it taking 7 days but small problems came up and a total of 11 days) and here is the result.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
pcar916
Lookin' good!!! piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
mgphoto
The project kicked off with a rebuild of my transmission, the box came back just as the 5 lug project started, I wanted to add anti-sway bars and as many 914/6 suspension parts that I could find.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I also decided to add a few safety items, Tangerine Racing's 9.5mm to 8mm fuel line adapter and their Master Cylinder Brace.
Sleepin
Very nice!!!!
type47
What stub axels did you use?
qa1142
Very nice shades.gif

Only took me 6 years to decide on this upgrade. Parts are at Redi-strip, calipers are with Eric, should all be home within 2 weeks wub.gif

I am going with solid rear rotors, like your vented, don't think I need them for a 4

Drive hard my firend driving.gif
Eric_Shea
Looks awesome Mike.

Hows the first drive impression with the sway bars? I remember that being the only thing I added to my -6. All 914's should have come with them... Manditory.
mgphoto
QUOTE(type47 @ Sep 16 2010, 05:11 AM) *

Hey type47,
The very last items I found were a pair of 914/6 stub axles, I was going with a 4 lug converted hub set up, so when I found the stub axles I changed, since I had a pair of '72 911 hubs on the shelf that had 60mm studs which I swapped out for the standard 45mm,) I am a bit happier because the 4 lug hub does not line up with the screw holes in the brake disk. Fastening the disk to the hub this makes it much easier to adjust the venting clearance and the brake disk is centered on the hub so balance does not become an issue.
Mike
mgphoto
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 16 2010, 06:15 AM) *

Looks awesome Mike.

Hows the first drive impression with the sway bars? I remember that being the only thing I added to my -6. All 914's should have come with them... Manditory.

Hello Eric,
First off, thanks, without your help I would never have gotten this off the ground.
As for the anti-sway bars, I can tell you that the car seems to want to take the turns before I even think about steering input! I have not taken any really fast corners yet as I need to fix an exhaust leak and bleed the brakes again.
Mike
Eric_Shea
Gone but not forgotten is that "I'm piloting a Chris*Craft" feeling! LOL
oldschool
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 16 2010, 09:01 AM) *

Hey type47,
The very last items I found were a pair of 914/6 stub axles, I was going with a 4 lug converted hub set up, so when I found the stub axles I changed, since I had a pair of '72 911 hubs on the shelf that had 60mm studs which I swapped out for the standard 45mm,) I am a bit happier because the 4 lug hub does not line up with the screw holes in the brake disk. Fastening the disk to the hub this makes it much easier to adjust the venting clearance and the brake disk is centered on the hub so balance does not become an issue.
Mike

what do you do in the media world? shades.gif
mgphoto
bump
mgphoto
bump
mgphoto
QUOTE(oldschool @ Sep 16 2010, 04:04 PM) *

Hey type47,
Mike

reconstituted photojournalist, I am now a Hollywood Celebrity event photographer, I own a website called Superstarimages.com also videographer for the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce for the world famous Hollywood Walk of Fame.
oldschool
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 16 2010, 04:16 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Sep 16 2010, 04:04 PM) *

Hey type47,
Mike

reconstituted photojournalist, I am now a Hollywood Celebrity event photographer, I own a website called Superstarimages.com also videographer for the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce for the world famous Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Very cool, I'm in the local 600,If you need any help let me know.
mgphoto
A bit more than a month now and I needed to remove the drivers side front strut to tighten the ring holding the cartridge in the strut, (might have forgotten to tighten it down on assembly.)

I readjusted the front wheel bearing, used the Motive Power Bleeder to bleed the brakes, also cracked the fittings on the brake pressure regulator to bleed it, now the pedal is really firm.

The car handles GREAT! Glad I did it, anti sway bars and all....
Only one regret, I didn't install cross drilled rotors, I need to bring the weight down.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.