Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Putting engine on engine stand
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonr
I am going to rebuild my type 4 2.0 this fall . I have a nice stand and yoke. what is the best way to get the engine up on the stand . I have access to a v8 engine lift but not sure where to bolt it on . any method ideas would be greatly appreciated THANKS
underthetire
It's a whole lot easier just to bolt the yoke on and have the neighbor help you lift it on the stand.
simonr
great idea!! I love this forum LOL
type47
MainelyCustombyDesign makes a nice adapter for Porsche/VW cases which uses the fittings that come on American motor engine stands.
EdwardBlume
I did it solo using a jack, a chair, and some prayer...

A neighbor works better...
underthetire
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 15 2010, 02:29 PM) *

Common man, I can go to your house pretty much any day after work.
watsonrx13
I 'field-stripped' mine first. I removed the intake, exhaust, fan, oil cooler and heads. Attached the yoke then lifted it up myself.

Remember, attach the yoke to the side that has the distributor.

Here's a link to my website showing how I disassembled a '74 2.0l stock FI engine.

-- Rob
cary
How about a HF chain hoist mounted to an eye bolt in the ceiling. If your garage has living above it. It should have a beam in it. If its open. Lay a 4x4 across 4-6 joists and your good to go.
You'll end up using it for more things than you think.

Setting up a new 4400 sq. ft rented shop. I think we'll have 3 of them in it. Father in Law has bought numerous ones at garage sales. The last one I used I could barely pick up its so heavy.
VaccaRabite
I installed a small crank hoist in my garage. Rated to 1 ton - total overkill for a T4. But it works like a champ at lifting an engine single handed and mounting it on an engine stand.
Zach
TheCabinetmaker
Fork lift works real nice Ray.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 15 2010, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 15 2010, 02:29 PM) *

Common man, I can go to your house pretty much any day after work.

Thanks.. be careful what you wish for... he he
Jeffs9146
I have access to a v8 engine lift but not sure where to bolt it on

This is what I used! Just put straps under the engine and attache in the center over the top of the motor and lift!!

RFoulds
Thats what my tennage son is for. "come on Son, pick that up and hold it for me while I tighten these bolts."

Now get me a beverage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.