Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 993 Rear Suspension in a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
I have seen several very nice track cars with 993 rear subframe/suspension in a early 911 chassis. Has anyone ever seen this done in the rear of a 914? Just looking at the parts, it appears it would fit. I realize it will take some custom fabrication to do it right, but it would be nice to loose the rear trailing arm design.

-Britain
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Sep 15 2010, 11:37 PM) *

I have seen several very nice track cars with 993 rear subframe/suspension in a early 911 chassis. Has anyone ever seen this done in the rear of a 914? Just looking at the parts, it appears it would fit. I realize it will take some custom fabrication to do it right, but it would be nice to loose the rear trailing arm design.

-Britain

If you are going to go that far might as well hack out most of the back, make a tubular subframe and weld up your own double A-arm/Coil over combo. Most likely you would end up racing in the same class and the custom setup would be lighter.

this looks chunky to me
IPB Image
precisionchassis
It's been done before in a 914. Saw the car for sale on Ebay a few years ago. It's a lot of work obviously. In the end, is what you are left with still a 914???
pcar916
Doom II was a purpose built mid-engine 911 race car that had that suspension. But it wasn't used on the street ever. There was a huge spread on it in Excellence back in June of 1998 but it's missing from my pile... I guess that's the problem with piles!

The car was stolen not long after Norwood finished it. Big shame that since it had to have been parted out. No one could have showed up with it anywhere. A#@%(*&'s

http://www.bobnorwood.com/Images/doom.jpg

Wonderful car and there were detailed pix of the car in that issue.
Andyrew
Didnt the Doom cars use 944 turbo motors pumped to ~900hp?
pcar916
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 16 2010, 05:52 AM) *

Didnt the Doom cars use 944 turbo motors pumped to ~900hp?

I don't remember... can't find the darn Excellence issue but I thought it was a 911 motor. Someone here will remember or have that issue in the bookshelf. I can't believe there aren't more pix out there on the web.

The car was stolen not long after Norwood finished it. Big shame that since it had to have been parted out. No one could have showed up with it anywhere. A#@%(*&'s

..always wonder what happened to that car... now I know.
brant
If I remember correctly... the original doom car had an air cooled 911 motor
the Doom2 car was built after the first was stolen. I believe it had the 944 engine

there is a guy racing scca road racing out there in denver with an original vin 914/6 that has a v8 in it now, and also the 993 rear suspension
JmuRiz
I thought it was Ron Mistak's 914 that had that wild suspension in it.
I'll have to look though my old books, I think I saw it last night in a picture in one of them.
brant
I think Ron had it also...
RFoulds
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 16 2010, 07:58 AM) *

there is a guy racing scca road racing out there in denver with an original vin 914/6 that has a v8 in it now, and also the 993 rear suspension

WHY????!!!!! confused24.gif

IF you were going to do that to the car, start with a 914/4, don't butcher up a real 6.!!

Sheesh. screwy.gif
brant
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Sep 16 2010, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 16 2010, 07:58 AM) *

WHY????!!!!! confused24.gif

IF you were going to do that to the car, start with a 914/4, don't butcher up a real 6.!!

Sheesh. screwy.gif

The car was turned into a racer in the late 1970's...
it has morphed and morphed over the years... but there is very little left besides the vin plate... and it was done that way 30years ago when it carried limited special status.

RFoulds
Well, I would still scowl at the car if I ever saw it. mad.gif
Britain Smith
Thanks for all the replies guys. Anyone have any pictures of it done in a 914?

-Britain
pcar916
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Sep 16 2010, 09:55 AM) *

Anyone have any pictures of it done in a 914?
-Britain

Ok folks, will someone with that Excellence issue be so kind as to scan and post a few of the suspension etc?

This article from Norwood's website has the following excerp on the Doom cars at the bottom.

http://www.bobnorwood.com/Norwood%20Story.htm

" Norwood's $500,000 Porsche creation made its appearance in 1995 - the racer DOOM. It was a supercar with ultra-high-tech fabrication utilizing components, of Indy cars and other radical cars put to use in a new way. The 3.6 supercharged engine designed to last 24 minutes did the job beating every competitor. The record remains unbroken. DOOM, named after the biggest selling computer game of all time that helped to finance it, disappeared on July 31, 1995 - stolen from outside Norwood's fabricating shop and not seen since.

Norwood has continued his new developments in 1997. He has built two new 4 cylinder Porsche 968 turbo DOOM cars. He is also continuing to press for as much horsepower from the Testarossa as possible. Norwood filed a patent on a new turbocharger turbine upgrade. He also continues to manufacture his high performance replica cars and now has scratch motors that feature a V-12 with either 777 or 1000 cubic inches and 302 cubic inch V-12's for P-4's and GTO's."

Now, to find that article!

Britain Smith
I finally found a pic of the rear suspension of Rob Mistak's car.

IPB Image
pcar916
Oh yeah....
brant
I was at a race with Ron once..
I wasn't in the same class
what a crazy crazy car...
he started about 1/2 lap late after the rest of the field had already taken the green flag....

all the way through the entire field to finish first in 12 laps.

brant
sixnotfour
Excellence #82 Dec. 1998 has a good article on Mistak's car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.