Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I love the smell of Napalm in the morning!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BCinSC
She's running fairly well, but boy do I stink by the time I get to the office. There are no visible leaks, the tank was pulled and lines replaced a couple years back so I don't think it's under there. Nothing in the tunnel. Front stinks worse than engine bay, so I'm thinking it might be the gas cap seal has finally hardened enough to not be much use anymore. Options?
VaccaRabite
is your charcoal cannister hooked up?

Zach
EdwardBlume
Is it a fullish tank or less?
BCinSC
Oh, and it's not that I filled the tank recently. In fact, the smell has gotten exponentially worse as tank has emptied. That is likely coincidence, though.

Charcoal cannister always was connected, and appears to be now, but maybe something came loose? I'll poke around some more.

Is it possible to get new gas cap? Pelican shows it NLA.
Tom_T
Also check that all the vacuum lines from the canister, along the driver's rocker space to the air cleaner &fan shroud are connected & not cracked or broken. The fan pushes fresh air through the lines to the canister, which then takes the fuel fumes back into the air cleaner (maybe throttle body on some engines) to burn off in the engine. If your switched to carbs & didn't come up with a way to inject that flow into the intake stream, then you're not burning it off. Either that or a leak/disconnected line can just push the fumes into the cockpit.

And "Howdy" from another L80E 73 - 2.0 in my case, soon to be resto'd back to OE color from that in the avatar & VIN pix! biggrin.gif
Gint
Dude! Where'vyabeen?
Spoke
Gotta use your nose in the fuel tank compartment.

Sniff all around the tank.

Is the smell coming from the cap?

Coming from the side of the tank?

My fuel smell in from the tank area turned out to be a very small leak from the fuel pump under the tank. Just a drop every couple of hours caused the nastiest smells in the interior.

You most likely will not find a puddle of gas (hopefully). Just a little bit of gas will smell like hell.
brer
jellied gasoline is great on toast
Mikey914
Check the lines under the fuel tank again. Just pull the inspection plate. If there's too much hose it can rub. Hopefully it's not there, but worth a check.
BCinSC
Problem still exists. The irony is that there is less order when tank is near full, and wicked stinky when close to empty. That just makes no sense. It sat over the weekend under a cover and when I uncovered her this morning, it definitely stank. Let it air a few minutes to dissipate and she fired right up and got me to work (1 hr commute). Hopefully, I won't be roasted crispy like Peking Duck one of these days. I hate to have to pull tank again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.