Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bubble flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maxwelj
Any tips on making bubble flares for the brake lines? I have the KD tool, but it seems to make uneven flares.... or is there an alternative way to get the brakes plumbed?

Thanks,
Jack
Gint
Flares aren't easy at first. It takes practice to learn to use the flaring tool juuuust right. Get some spare tubing and practice for a while. You'll end up finding the sweet spot and making decent flares.

Welcome to the board BTW. Another sixer driver!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(maxwelj @ Apr 16 2004, 08:56 PM)
... is there an alternative way to get the brakes plumbed?

you can buy the hardlines already made up, and they are not expensive. especially considering the consequences of failure...

i've seen the tools, and i can imagine a day when i'd have one on the shelf for some truly custom application or trackside emergency repair, but with good quality new stuff available at the FLAPS, that's my preference.

AFAIK, you can still get all the hardlines from the dealer (i.e. Stoddard) and they'll be all the right colors too. they will be exactly the right length (a mixed blexxing, 'cause some of those i'd have been happier if they were just a -little bit- longer...) but they are -not- pre-formed to shape, as i was quite disappointed to learn when replacing the 3-plane bent Z-shaped line that runs from the tunnel to the proportioner valve. *that* mother is a b!tch to replace ...

check the FLAPS before driving yourself crazy trying to fabricate something you can buy for not a lot ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.