Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6-VW-PORSCHE Euro emblem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
As we know, AA recently started to sell the new reproduction of the NLA rear Euro style 914-6-VW-PORSCHE emblem.
I decided to buy one, just because it's a "nice to have" biggrin.gif
Today it was in the mail and I compared it to my factory original one.
Surprisingly I noticed some differences.
You might not see it once it's installed, but there are (3) more or less importand differences.

check out the photo - the more shiny one is the new repro part:

Click to view attachment

as you can see, the repro part is smaller blink.gif
it's also missing one of the mounting pins (at the position with the big red circle) blink.gif
and one of the mounting pins in on a slightly different location ...

just curious confused24.gif

carr914
Part of the story on the AA is that I bought one of the last Originals from George and I traded it to Jon Bovey (shipped direct to Jon)

When George said he wanted to make repos, Jon sent his emblem to George to be the "Master Copy"

Maybe George made a Fake from a Fake? confused24.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We copied one of the last of the production badges.

QUOTE(Gustl @ Sep 17 2010, 03:01 AM) *

As we know, AA recently started to sell the new reproduction of the NLA rear Euro style 914-6-VW-PORSCHE emblem.
I decided to buy one, just because it's a "nice to have" biggrin.gif
Today it was in the mail and I compared it to my factory original one.
Surprisingly I noticed some differences.
You might not see it once it's installed, but there are (3) more or less importand differences.

check out the photo - the more shiny one is the new repro part:

Click to view attachment

as you can see, the repro part is smaller blink.gif
it's also missing one of the mounting pins (at the position with the big red circle) blink.gif
and one of the mounting pins in on a slightly different location ...

just curious confused24.gif

bandjoey
Good catch. If you didn't have an original like you said, it might not have been noticed.

This will be an ongoing issue now that parts are made from repo parts as patterns.

If George made his from an original could the factory used different suppliers and ended up with different emblems?
MoveQik
I hope he got permission from Porsche to make these. Jus' sayin...
sixnotfour
Jus' sayin...

alota things shrink in the cold
Sleepin
I imagine one would have to get VW's permission as well. I wonder if that happened?
RON S.
That is worth mentioning to Guys like myself whose car is originally a European market model.
Since my car was originally sold and licensed in Germany and then shipped stateside by a returning Army soldier, my car already had all the holes pre-punched in the trunk panel.
I bought my emblem 10 years ago from Pelican when they were still about $45.00ea, and it popped in with no problem.
the below picture is old, but what's being said is that with the repo emblem having different pin locations, a guy with a Euro model 914/6 is going to be a little po'd when he goes to install it.

Just My 2ct's Worth.

Good looking repo though.

Ron
burton73
My part is a real unit not a copy and you may find that the pins where moved on the copy to fit the pins on the factory unit. The shrinkage will always be more on the longer part or more on the 13 inches than on the 1/2-inch. Ck that new pin set up to the old pin set up.

My 6 number 41 is a US car so I have to fill and drill so even with the factory part I have work to do.

Wolfgang, you could of straitened out the AA part. Even my factory part for $259. came to me taped on paint stick and needed a little love to get it strait.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(RON S. @ Sep 17 2010, 10:44 AM) *

That is worth mentioning to Guys like myself whose car is originally a European market model.
Since my car was originally sold and licensed in Germany and then shipped stateside by a returning Army soldier, my car already had all the holes pre-punched in the trunk panel.
I bought my emblem 10 years ago from Pelican when they were still about $45.00ea, and it popped in with no problem.
the below picture is old, but what's being said is that with the repo emblem having different pin locations, a guy with a Euro model 914/6 is going to be a little po'd when he goes to install it.

Just My 2ct's Worth.

Good looking repo though.

Ron

Well, as is with all badges, they are not all the same. Ask the RS America guy about their badges dry.gif .

I know the one I sent to George and the one I got back look the same in color and feel. The pin location I don't recall.

That said, if you have an original or need an original you will be paying the price for it. If you want one of these they are now there for you.
Eric_Shea
IPB Image
Todd Enlund
My guess is that the pins were moved (and removed) to make the (smaller) badge fit existing holes:

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
IPB Image

Not crazy about the boot lid snubbers or rain light

What matters is what I'm crazy about because, it's "my" car. biggrin.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 17 2010, 01:16 PM) *

IPB Image

Eric,

Nice looking rear fog light. wub.gif
You belong to the specdial RFL club. w00t.gif

Tom
Eric_Shea
RFL Forever! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.