Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: struts and inserts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
just want to get this straight.

if you have bilstein struts, do only bilstein inserts fit in them?

what about konis, boge, etc.

is there a universal standard or is each make different.

trying to figure what I need for a 911 front susp conversion. I have konis now.

thanks,
dr
DNHunt
I just replaced KYB strut inserts with Koni yellows no problem. I remember reading that the different struts were different colors but I still haven't had enough coffee to get past that. I know there are threads on it. You might try searching.

Dave
airsix
At least as far as 911 struts go:

Boge strut = boge insert, or Koni-insert-made-for-boge-strut
Koni strut = koni insert only
Bilstien strut = Bilstien insert only
seanery
boge=black strut
koni=red strut
bilstein=green strut
JeffBowlsby
I have Bilstein HDs in my stock black Boge struts...74 914. ohmy.gif
914werke
Thats what came in my 74 as well. Dont know if it was OE but sure looked like it.
Eric_Shea
Boge strut = boge insert, or Koni-insert-made-for-boge-strut
Koni strut = koni insert only
Bilstien strut = Bilstien insert only

agree.gif but add "Bilstein" to the Boge list at the top.

Regarding "What you need for a 911 suspension conversion", it will vary:

1. You could get 911 struts. Depending on the year 911 strut vs 914 A-Arm you may have ball joint issues. If you keep the 914 A-Arms then you use 914 torsion bars. The struts are as listed above: Boge, Koni or Bilstein. If you want to get elaborate and raise your spindles get the Bilsteins they have a straight tube however, it can be done on others... just not as easily. My Koni's are all raised. (911 RS and 914-6/GT project)

2. You could get a complete package: 911 struts, 911 A-Arms. This would basically ensure you have the right ball joints and you'd get a slight upgrade in t-bars (from 17.? to 18.?) Bolts right on.

3. Sway bar mounts. Do you have them? Would the 911 suspension you get have them? 911 Suspensions post 74 would be under body mounts. The geometry on those is not as desirable as the through body mounts.

4. Misc. Hardware - Make sure you get Calipers and hubs as well. A complete 70-73 911 front suspension would be my choice for a "bolt-on" application.

If you find Koni or Bilstein struts in the package you're now talking about some different calipers. With the model years I listed those would only be S-Calipers and they don't come cheap. If you could find a system with the Koni or Bilstein struts w/o the calipers you could probably do well with an A-Caliper from a later model SC (steel, fairly common and inexpensive in comparison). Consider further... if you do this you should either

1. ditch your proportioning valve in favor of a "T" fitting or an adjustable one. or
2. consider an entirely different brake solution for the rear. If you're going 5-lug you can try the following options:

914-4 caliper with softer pads and a "T" fitting instead of the proportioning valve. Grind the caliper slightly to fit standard non-vented 914-6 rotors (grind the caliper once or grind the rotors down every time you need a pair)

914-6 caliper. Expensive option #1. Matches the 911 rear M-Caliper but costs a bundle "if" you can find a pair.

911 rear M-Caliper - Exact match to new larger brakes up front. Bolts on and uses vented rotors, needs 5mm spacers either on the caliper mounting ears or behind the brake rotor. NO HANDBRAKE. Handbrake options: in-line handbrake valve which is rumoured to be unreliable when hot braking systems cool and your car rolls in the ditch or 911 handbrakes which is the logical choice that the factory used on some rally and hillclimb 914-6/GT's but requires some fabrication skills

Hope that helps! (God... am I bored this AM or what???)
Brad Roberts
DAMN Eric.. you are board.

But your list was VERY complete.

B
Eric_Shea
BTDT... can ya tell? chairfall.gif
Brad Roberts
Couple of times. I'm thinking of "copy/paste" and keeping it for phone call reference.

I hope to have the new prototype 4 piston 3 inch bolt spacing fit under 15inch wheel calipers in my grubby hands by the end of next week for testing. They will require the 23mm MC (which we are finally making up multiple kits). We will see. The machine shop with the 4 cyl hubs is killing me. They still havent kicked out a final yet.

B
Eric_Shea
I hope to have the new prototype 4 piston 3 inch bolt spacing fit under 15inch wheel calipers in my grubby hands by the end of next week for testing

That would be wicked! There's a ton of 911 guys looking for that as well... there's thousands of Boge struts out there needing help.

I'm planning on showing up at HPH the afternoon of the 27th. I get into Oakland around 12:40PM... plan accordingly laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
The red carpet has oil and grease on it.. but I can still roll it out... :finger2:

27th is fine. I unburied the car and the title is in the left hand door pocket of my truck (letting you know so you can remind me when I forget)

Yes. The calipers will change a lot things real soon.

B
Eric_Shea
I prefer "Rogue, Dead Guy Ale". Have a 6-pack chilled to 52 deg (11c) cool_shades.gif

(stealing the thread... sorry)
Brad Roberts
You'll get: a swift kick in the ass...LOL

Yes. Calipers and brakes are good.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.