Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative heat source...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmtrnavsky
Most of the exhaust systems I am looking at remove the heat exchangers... It's cold where I live and I don't want to not have any heat, so I am assuming there is some other option. What do you guys with no heat exchangers use? (hopefully the answer isn't "a jacket"!)

I saw some old accessories like gas heaters and such, but I'm figuring there has to be something better now... Mostly I just want a defroster. The passenger compartment isn't too big so I'm thinking most anything will warm it up a bit???
underthetire
I looked in to electric heat. Then it was needing a bigger alternator. I bought one of those harbor freight window defrosters. While it clears fog off the window, I doubt it could do ice. Doesn't do much for cabin heat. I would order seat covers with warmers built in if I lived somewhere cold.
Cupomeat
Sorry if this is not the answer you want, but if I were putting a header on a non "RACE" care, I'd go with one that has a heater box option (like Tangerine for the 4cyl).

To me that method is so much easier than any other fabricated heating system.

I hope that helps.
RFoulds
I have had two teeners without heat and still remember freezing in them. Hated it. Working heat exchangers are a BIG plus on these cars! On both of those, I fitted Stainless heat exchangers and enjoyed th ecar MUCH better.

As for gas heater, had one in a 71 Super Beetle. Caught fire twice.
SirAndy
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 17 2010, 11:45 AM) *
What do you guys with no heat exchangers use?

Oil Lines going to the front oil cooler through the passenger compartment.

Plenty of heat for those frosty CA mornings ...
bye1.gif Andy

IPB Image
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Sep 17 2010, 12:12 PM) *

Sorry if this is not the answer you want, but if I were putting a header on a non "RACE" care, I'd go with one that has a heater box option (like Tangerine for the 4cyl).

I hope that helps.

I think this is what I will look into then... I cant be catching fire from a gas heater and I have used the harbor freight thing and it helps clear the windshield but little more. I was hopeful there was a better option. Guess not.

I was looking at the Tangerine web site and it looked like they had a header that fit their own heat exchanger do that have on that works with the stock one? Maybe I just didn't see it?
AndyB
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 17 2010, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Sep 17 2010, 12:12 PM) *

I hope that helps.

I think this is what I will look into then... I cant be catching fire from a gas heater and I have used the harbor freight thing and it helps clear the windshield but little more. I was hopeful there was a better option. Guess not.

I was looking at the Tangerine web site and it looked like they had a header that fit their own heat exchanger do that have on that works with the stock one? Maybe I just didn't see it?

Just PM RacerChris the question he is very good at responding
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.