Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone ever tried to recover dash?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Next GenRacing
Hello, I am fairly new to this site, tons of good info. From the looks of it I'm not the only one with a cracked dash and judging on the price of a new one Ill bet there is more people running around with dash mats then want to admit it.

I was wondering if anyone has ever taken the dash to a quality upholster and had it refoamed and wraped with leather or at least a decent vinyl. My windshield is cracked so I thought it may be a good time to get it done.

What do you guys think?
Danny
RonnieJ
Here you can have it done in vinyl or leather...http://www.914ap.com/products.php
also you can have it done at camp914.
swl
Longarm did that with his dash. Really nice job all hand stitched Only problem was that the cracks were still visible under the new cover. You need to find a way of sealing the cracks before recovering.
EdwardBlume
A $90 plastic cap works too...
ConeDodger
914 Appearance and Performance stitches a new cover in vinyl or leather, your choice with a natural difference in the price for each.

Camp914 repairs the cracks after stripping off the old vinyl and re-covers it using the same vacuum form process as original.

Both look great, Camp914 is more expensive but when it is done it is restored not modified and that is very important to some people and not at all to others...
underthetire
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 17 2010, 06:36 PM) *

agree.gif
jsaum
There's a good video on www.justdashes.com that shows the process to recover one to factory cconditions. I have no idea on the cost they don't show it on the website.

Jsaum
Drums66
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 18 2010, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 17 2010, 06:36 PM) *

agree.gif

You find yourself touching it all the time blink.gif
(there,you did it again) poke.gif bye1.gif
carr914
I am doing 2 in Leather right now. You have to strip the old vinyl off or the cracks will telegraph thru. I'm doing a stitched version, which means you have to make & cut all sorts of patterns
EdwardBlume
Just saying... wouldn't it be "nice" if someone could post measurements and detail for such a pattern... idea.gif
AndyB
agree.gif Yes it sure would biggrin.gif
carr914
Sorry, I already had them sewn up, but in the 2nd Post I will show the pictures . I have not cleaned these up of glue overspray or applied any Lex. This is Leather, the only other one I did 15 years ago was Vinyl - Leather is a Bitch, leave it to the Professionals. I do Not sell these and will not make them. I'm a perfectionist when I buy from someone else, these are not perfect, but to me are beautiful wub.gif .

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Nice picts.

In a car, that would look great.

FWIW- vinyl gets a bad (w)rap, but can be really nice...
carr914
Again, sorry I don't make real patterns. I tear the old one off, use it as kind of pattern and cut. Prior to and after sewing cut

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.