Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is a 914 right for me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiddleMan
Okay, so I currently have a 2008 Cayman. It’s beautiful. It’s fast. Handles great. Just a fabulous car in general; I’m sure you’ve read the reports. Trouble is, I have a really hard time hanging on to a car for more than a couple of years- regardless of how much I like it- and I can really feel that itch coming on.

My Cayman:
Click to view attachment

And having some experience with a water-cooled Porsche, it seems only reasonable to look next at an air-cooled variant. I’m thinking about the 914 for its obvious similarities to the Cayman (or vice versa, perhaps), as well as its reasonable entry price. And while the Cayman is great, I really like having a relatively light car (previously had an early Miata and MR2 Spyder), just because it feels right.

Currently my Cayman shares DD duties with my truck and bicycle, though a 914 would likely be relegated just to pleasure driving. I don’t have a ton of mechanical experience, though I did use an old British car as a DD for a while in school and managed to keep that going pretty well.

I’ve done a few AX, and would likely continue with that, though so far I haven’t been on the track.

I haven’t sat in or driven a 914 yet, though there are plenty for sale nearby (i.e., www.HighPerformanceHouse.com is just a few miles away). Is there any obvious reason as to why I should not seriously consider making a switch like this? I know the deal about buying the best example possible, rust issues, PPI, etc. I also know that this board will likely have a different perspective than a Cayman board…

Thanks for any thoughts.
draganc
welcome.png

QUOTE(MiddleMan @ Sep 17 2010, 04:47 PM) *

..... I don’t have a ton of mechanical experience... Thanks for any thoughts.

In that case, you better have a ton of $$$. Even if you buy a very good car, keep in mind that these cars are at least 34 years old.

Great little cars - I say go for it, test drive one and see if you like it.
trojanhorsepower
Hi and welcome.png

I have a 914 in about 914,000 pieces like it has been for many years. I have never driven one or even sat in one, but I wanted one since I was a kid. I have to say though that the Cayman is the finest car I have seen in a long time. I love that car, but I have never driven or sat in one of those either, so you can imagine what my advice is worth.
The only thing I can think of is you is that you need to find a new dealer... you must have gotten some bad crack. That car is amazing! Keep the Cayman and get a 914 to play with when you want to spend lots of time looking at all the little parts in boxes.

This site is great, the people here can help you do anything with a 914, but they seem to have an affinity for jack stands. I'm sure some one who actually knows something relevant will chime in eventually, and help you out. I am just saying damn that's a sweet car!

Good luck,

P.S. Did I mention that I like that car?

-Pete
Socalandy
welcome.png -4 or -6 they are a blast to drive. Great color choice!!
Michael N
You should drive one first before even pondering the idea too much. I bought my first one and had never driven one before. A guy down the street from me has had one for years and still has never driven one. blink.gif I'd take ya for a spin etc if you want to make the journey down to San Jose.
tradisrad
buy one in addition to your Cayman.

High Perf House is a good place for parts and possibly a car. There is a nice green one on CL in san jose for about $10k. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1958061869.html it has its cons, but it looks good.
The 914 will not have the power or braking of your current car and w/o putting better suspension on it probably wont handle as well.
Being handy with a wrench helps.
JTarver
Before I bought mine, I had never driven one or sat in one either. I drove almost an hour away to look at the one I stumbled onto, and test drove it that day. It was then I feel in love. I've had mine for about 4 months, and I drive it almost every day. It may only be through a couple neighborhoods for a joyride, but I always want to be in my 914.
I have been really lucky with mine so far, and haven't had any real issues out of it. I plan on keeping mine for along time, and driving it as much as possible. If you get one, I think you'll end up really loving it.
Good luck on your search, and welcome to the board.

Joe
underthetire
Every 914 should have come with jackstands from the factory. I love your car, if I was to buy a new one, it would that one. 914's are noisy, hot, rough,underpowered(stock), but a lot of fun. So much fun I drive mine more than my comfy car. You can take my car for a spin if I can drive your car. beer.gif
MiddleMan
Thanks for the replies. My GF thinks I'm crazy too! Wanting to know why I am always feeling the need to change cars. I often get that WTF.gif look.

Unfortunately I have only a one car garage, so only one toy at a time.

Actually, I already have two sets of jack stands, though I seem to be in need of a new jack... Part of the appeal is that I actually could do something to the car. With the Cayman, there is not a lot a home mechanic can do beyond oil changes and car washes.

Another aspect is simply that I like old cars! The smells and sounds, the very basic interior layout, the more unrefined performance (even if it's slower). I think it's from riding in my dad's TR6 when I was a kid. Yes, first order of business should definitely be to try one on for size, before I get too carried away. I hope to do that soon.
RJMII
Part of the appeal is that I actually could do something to the car.

THere are some great articles here, and a lot of support within the community. If you are willing to learn, and want to enjoy doing some work on a car, the 914 is an excellent choice.

If you want to make the journey to the middle of nowhere, I'll trade you test drive for test drive. smile.gif You can see what it's like to ride in a 914 on jackstands. I'll even let you make the vroom vroom noises.

welcome.png

as for changing cars every couple of years, my wife and I do that with our daily drivers. I don't know that we last a couple of years, though. We go on the theory that if the plates expire, so does our interest in that vehicle. (if they keep our interest that long)
tomh
QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 17 2010, 10:34 PM) *

Part of the appeal is that I actually could do something to the car.

THere are some great articles here, and a lot of support within the community. If you are willing to learn, and want to enjoy doing some work on a car, the 914 is an excellent choice.

If you want to make the journey to the middle of nowhere, I'll trade you test drive for test drive. smile.gif You can see what it's like to ride in a 914 on jackstands. I'll even let you make the vroom vroom noises.

welcome.png

as for changing cars every couple of years, my wife and I do that with our daily drivers. I don't know that we last a couple of years, though. We go on the theory that if the plates expire, so does our interest in that vehicle. (if they keep our interest that long)

Did I here you say High Performance House?
You better hang on to your wallet
Mike Bellis
I think you need to be a true enthusiast to enjoy a 914 long term. Most of us will never get rid of our 914's and if we do, it's to buy another. I would not recomend buying a 914 on a whim. The are old, they will need work, they are fun to drive and highly addicting. A modified 914 will be even more fun to drive. If you do not know how to work on these cars they can turn into a money pit. Most 914's have some rust issues. If you must buy one, buy the best one you can afford. You may also want to look into a 914-6 of an LE for resale value. many of us have made engine swaps to make them even faster. Mine is a V8 but there are several different engine combos available. Suspension and brake upgrades are very common. My Porsche career started with a 914, moved on to a 911 and came back to the 914. It is the most fun I've ever had driving.

Click to view attachment
ripper911
They make it sound like you can't get one that runs well...

Buy a good 914, you can drive it all the time, and it should be reliable.

It might have to go to the shop every so often, as old cars do have issues, but I use mine as a DD and have been fixing stuff as it's needed, it keeps on going. driving.gif

You should definitely buy a 914. beerchug.gif everyone should.
and your used to having two trunks now I guess...
sixnotfour
Boxster ,
obvisouly your downsizing, you will miss the modern simple life, you may not have what it takes to be air cool.. noisy smelly leaky relics , from my favorite era.
MiddleMan
QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 17 2010, 10:34 PM) *

Exactly. Cayman is car number ~12 for me, while my GF just picked up her 3rd after having her previous for 8 years...

Thanks again for all the replies, I do appreciate it!

Chris
Corkus
QUOTE(MiddleMan @ Sep 17 2010, 05:47 PM) *

Okay, so I currently have a 2008 Cayman... Trouble is, I have a really hard time hanging on to a car for more than a couple of years- regardless of how much I like it- and I can really feel that itch coming on...

Hi Chris, my name is Cory and I too am a serial motor vehicle abuser seeking a new high in a 914. I know I have it bad my friend, how are you doing?

Your post describes exactly my experience with motorcycles for the last 10 years. I'm about done with looking for near perfect bike after near perfect bike. I am hoping an updated version of a wonderful 914 experience I had in the 1970's will end my 2 wheel drug use.

One thing about these modern machines, the Cayman being a screaming example, is that in their near perfection something intangible is definitely missing. How many of us have enjoyed owning a modern car that is vastly superior in every way to a car we used to have, yet did not find a way to enjoy it nearly as much as the older car?

It is not about how perfect a machine can be, or you'd never consider getting rid of a Cayman. It is about having the right machine for the times and for a certain time in your life. If your car isn't ringing your bell real loud, it's not the car but the way the car is out of sync with the times. What you have here is a car-time-space continuum discontinuity. I’m sure of it .

Near perfection of modern high performance machines is highly overrated and the right machine fitting the right times in our lives are highly underrated. If you're looking for a window to jump out of, the 914 might be as good a way out as you need. I’m betting that way. Now if you’ll just step aside I’m jumping out this window.

Good luck to both of us.
Drums66
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Sep 18 2010, 07:37 AM) *

They make it sound like you can't get one that runs well...

Buy a good 914, you can drive it all the time, and it should be reliable.

It might have to go to the shop every so often, as old cars do have issues, but I use mine as a DD and have been fixing stuff as it's needed, it keeps on going. driving.gif

You should definitely buy a 914. beerchug.gif everyone should.
and your used to having two trunks now I guess...

welcome.png
brant
you sound like a great 914 owner canidate....
go drive one.

you like vintage
you like and want to do a little bit of your own work

these cars can be reliable... (but one that runs!)
most of them off the road, are in long periods of down time due to upgrades... owners like them and get bit by the bug wanting to upgrade them.

go drive one, I think you'll love it.
alot of us have had faster and newer cars, but really do enjoy the old, nimble, light, vintage feeling of a 914

brant

GeorgeRud
I was also an early adopter of the 914 (bought my first 914 2.0 new in '74), then got an original -6 (which I still have), went through a couple of 911s, then converted a 914-4 to a big engined -6. These can be lifelong projects and an absolute blast to drive. As far as reliabilty, I wouldn't hesitate to jump into my 40 year old 914-6 and drive across the country tomorrow. It only left me stranded once in all these years, and that was my fault. Straighforward cars that are easy to maintain yourself - no computer hookups required!

You will notice the lack of AC and other modern goodies, but it's the closest to a street legal go-cart that you'll find.
MiddleMan
On my way home today I found this '71 in great condition and just couldn't help bringing it home! The interior is a little bling for my tastes, but it's something to work on down the road...

Click to view attachment

rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Michael N @ Sep 17 2010, 07:14 PM) *

I'd take ya for a spin etc if you want to make the journey down to San Jose.

QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 17 2010, 10:00 PM) *

You can take my car for a spin if I can drive your car. beer.gif

Thanks for the offers! I just may take you up on them. cool.gif Perhaps we need to have a little mini-meet...
Andyrew
PERFECT START!!!

Have a little fun with that toy, take it apart, bla bla bla get your fix for a while. Stay on here for ~ a month and get the feel of the atmosphere and even come by the breakfast in Sac and get a feel for the community!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...110518&st=0

In reality, the 914 is all about the community, and it has a really good following by some amazing people. Lots of talent, innovation, determination, and knowledge; combine that with some of the best character of human beings on the planet and you'll end up with a group of people you just want to hang around with for years!!

If in a month you still feel the same way about a 914 after driving some, then yes, I'd say you should get one! But you really should get a really nice example that you can just drive. Drive it for a while and do small "upgrades"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.