Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't Get Into Reverse or First
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trav012000
Ive got a 76 914 side shift.

I recently picked the car up from my mechanic who replaced pistons, car runs great now.

Shifting wasn't great before, but I could drive it with no problems. Others could as well.

Now it seems I cant get into reverse or first, 2nd and 3rd are everywhere, and 4th and 5th are far far to the right.

I assume when he was dropping the engine, some old bushings crumbled out of the linkage. I'm guessing the two in the coupler. I just wanted to run it by you guys first. I haven't had the chance to get under the car and check the cone screws or try any adjusting at all.

I was able to get it into first once leaving his lot, after that, I had to take off in 2nd.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
ws91420
Sounds like coupler bushings
jaybird840
I had the exact same issue. Mine were crumbled ( like, no longer there). When I pulled the rubber boots off, they were completely gone. Start there first--easy fix. Also, get the brass replacements where u can. --jaybird
Trav012000
Forgot to mention, I've replaced the firewall and rear ball cup bushing 1 or 2 years ago.
Trav012000
Awesome, thanks.
Trav012000
I take it everyone elses shift coupler looks different? headbang.gif

IPB Image

Previous owner apparently got creative? confused24.gif
914Sixer
Your coupler is a VW Type 1, it is a wonder it worked at all.
Trav012000
Nice. Well I've already ordered the proper coupler, cone screws, and dowel pin. From what I can tell it doesn't look like the gear shift rod was modified for the type 1. Unfortunately I don't have a known good rod to look at to compare.
Dr Evil
Interesting. I wonder if the rod size is the same for TI and TIV couplers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.