Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eleictrical Problem......Maybe?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914coop
Had issue with short in the FI wiring, where the FI would not work well, the car still started and I could keep it running. I removed the FI wire harness and the ECU and was checking other Electrical connections in the engine compartment and I now have nothing happening at the coil to generate spark???? Is there some thing that is needed from the ECU to get the ignition to work?

Figured since carbs can be used instead of FI that it could just be removed.

Thsnks for any guidance you may have
Irv.
JeffBowlsby
How about the points/condenser and the black/red wire in the ignitoin harness?

The FI/ECU has no impact on ignition circuits.
914coop
I had a pointless module I was running, I just finished changing back to points and trying to see if I could get the coil to fire.

Think I have a much bigger problem.....

Turned ignition on and walked back to let the points cone together and the condenser wire was smoking???

Back to looking for issies.

Irv
realred914
QUOTE(914coop @ Sep 18 2010, 08:24 AM) *

I had a pointless module I was running, I just finished changing back to points and trying to see if I could get the coil to fire.

Think I have a much bigger problem.....

Turned ignition on and walked back to let the points cone together and the condenser wire was smoking???

Back to looking for issies.

Irv

if you leave the ignition on wiht points, depending on their orinetation, that can burn up the system and fry the igntion wire. be careful it can be fried all the way back to teh key and melt with other wires in the bundle. if the points plastic insulator was melted or compromised it could be shorting to ground (the dizzie case) and that will also cause a smoked ingition wire.

as stated prior the FI system is sperate from the igniton system but some wires you moved may be involved with the igntion system so look for stuff that got moved at the time,

welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
914coop
Well I just not thinking this morning and need to do a reboot on my brain....Used a screw driver to sperate the points and grounded the sytem out
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Sp far it looks like the only damage is the condenser and the wire running from the coil to it

Time to go to the Auto parts store and try it again.

Irv
Spoke
You shouldn't have done any damage with the screwdriver on the points since the points ground the condenser and wire anyway.

Smoking the condenser wire is no biggy since it can be easily replaced.

Are you running the typical Bosch blue coil?
914coop
Yes I am running the Blue coil, Have others to try but have not went there yet.

I have a Compufire Hi Output coil and a generic black one, however everything I have read say the Bosch Blue coil is the best.
Cap'n Krusty
What you want to look at is the green wire you plugged onto the positive terminal of the coil. The green wire, as well as the black wire with the purple stripe, go to the (-) side of the coil, the larger black wire is the ONLY wire on the (+) side.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.