Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A couple 914 questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
weird_looking_cactus
Well I have been driving my 914 now for about 4 days on the road here are my problems.

1- When I want to accelerate fast and push on the gas then my car will just bog down and then will accelerate super slow. So I have to barely press on the gas if I want it to accelerate fast.Im thinking its getting to much air and not enough gas when I do that not sure though. Plus it seems when my car is hot I lose alot of power.

2- How hot should my car be its just over the half way mark. Plus when its gets that high and I shut the car off I have a hot start problem some times.

3- How good of fuel milage should I be getting cause right now its really bad. Im guessing like 15 miles to the gal. I have check for gas leaks and everything it smells like my car is running rich.

Im sure I have more but this will work for now so thanks for those who can help.
SLITS
1. Timing / functional advance in dizzy / fuel pressure / TPS functioning correctly

2. Which guage do you have - large/small red area? Also 3 below.

3. Head Temp sensor, Bad MPS, leaking Cold Start Valve

Hey, that 's my dollars worth and I'm looking at some of the same problems.
brant
In #1 you state that you think its not getting enough gas, but in #3 you state that is not getting any mileage.....

?

You need a FULL tune up from top to bottom, then you will probably fix both...
b
weird_looking_cactus
Hey on my first problem I will check that stuff out cause I don't have any of the advance hoses hooked up to my dizzy Im not sure were to hook into.

For my gauge the red area is pretty small if thats what your talking about.

For my last problem I will unhook my cold start valve how do I check my MPS and how do I check my head temp. Thanks
weird_looking_cactus
Heres another problem I just found is that my one of my hoses to my advance is not hooked up cause its hooked up to my oxgen sensor so do I need the oxgen senor I don't have smog test here in utah.
Eric_Shea
I don't have smog test here in utah.

Lucky Southern Utah Bastards! w00t.gif
weird_looking_cactus
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 17 2004, 10:32 AM)
I don't have smog test here in utah.

Lucky Southern Utah Bastards! w00t.gif

HAHA my inspection took less then 3 mins to complete I stayed in the car the whole time and turned all the lights on for him then he took a flash light and looked at my tires then I was done it cost me $10 bucks.
Bleyseng
You have a Oxygen sensor, show us a pic.

Sounds like the timing advance isn't working and the engine is mistimed.
To time the motor, use a timing light, remark the 27degree mark with fresh white paint, disconnect the adv/retard hose of the dizzy and plug them, start car and hold 3500 rpms while checking and adjusting the dizzy so the 27 degree mark lines up with the notch, (hook up timing lite to number 0ne cylinder). turn off motor and hook up the one hose to the back side of the dizzy as this is the retard. the small hose does go anywhere unless you have a 73 Throttle body.

To check an MPS, connect a vacuum pump to it, pump it to 15hg of vacuum, drink a soda pop (about 5 minutes sitting in the shade) check to see if its holding. If it leaks down in 5 minutes to Zero its bad.

Cold start valve- just unplug it or disconnect the fuel line to it.

Geoff

Got those turn lenses yet???
brant
Geoff,

are you supposed to plug the lines when you disconnect them to do timing?

hmm... maybe this would contribute to my sorry @##$$ running condition.

b
415PB
Same question as Brant. I changed the vacuum pot on my dizzy, my other would not hold a vacuum. I want to re-time it, but if I recall correctly I timed it with the line un-plugged from the pot, but I did not plug the line.

I tested my MPS the other day and it leaks really, really, really slow. But I am using a really, really old tool. SO I have to go buy a new one and re-test.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 19 2004, 08:02 AM)
Geoff,

are you supposed to plug the lines when you disconnect them to do timing?

hmm... maybe this would contribute to my sorry @##$$ running condition.

b

Boy, does this bring back memories laugh.gif what fun it was discovering how to do all this shit! Really, I found it to be great fun sleuthing out the problems & friends that know how to fix them. Thru the Bird board & here I learned how to do it & eventually, Punkin began running great. Spent lotsa money but....... driving.gif
There is a section on the Bird Board under tech articles that shows how to do exactly what Geoff just told you. It has pictures & that's what took the guessing out of it for me. (picture is worth a 1000 words) Good luck smash.gif

........b
415PB
Ahh, plugged. I just forgot for some reason. Guess I need to time the car more often as to not forget to plug the vacuum hose going to the dizzy.
Dave_Darling
On a 1.8, it's important that you plug the vacuum lines. The 1.8 is timed at idle, and the car will idle very poorly with vacuum leaks like those that would be introduced by having open vacuum hoses like that.

On a 1.7 or a 2.0, it is not important that you plug the lines. Disconnected vacuum lines will, for the most part, only raise the idle on a D-jet car. And you set the timing on a D-jet with the engine at 3500 RPM, so it doesn't really matter if the lines are plugged or not. They must be disconnected from the distributor (or from the throttle body if it's more convenient for you), but plugging them should not have any effect on setting the timing.

It is good "shop practice" to plug them, however. Because it is important on some cars, and if you get into the habit of doing it you will be able to work on those cars without having to stop and re-think everything.

--DD
Bleyseng
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.