Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DAPO Pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914Sixer
I bought a z-green 74 and am in the process of sorting it out to run. I am replacing everything that is missing and not correct. I started sorting out the fuel injection and found the fuel pump moved to the front of the car with a piece of zip cord run through the tunnel from the rear to power the pump. All of this was mounted on the front suspension pan cover.

Wonder why this door rotted out? It is completely covered with 1/2 " carpet pad. Every surface had pad glued down including the bottom of the door where the drain holes were. Both door were done like this. Back wall had same carpet pad behind the molded wall.
PanelBilly
I think the saddest part is that the DAPO thought he was improving the car
dlee6204
Oh my... icon8.gif
70_914
20 years from now there will be a thread showing pictures of rusty 914's with dynamat all over them and the comments will be the same...

Just sayin'...
bembry
Well, if the comments fit. . . .
carr914
QUOTE(70_914 @ Sep 19 2010, 12:20 AM) *

20 years from now there will be a thread showing pictures of rusty 914's with dynamat all over them and the comments will be the same...

Just sayin'...

I don't agree. That carpet foam was just a sponge that held water and Mark said the drain holes were plugged. Dynamat doesn't hold any water. Also I think that any 914 that is being restored today will most likely be stored in a garage vs outside in the elements for the last 40 years.
CptTripps
I know I'm digging up an old thread...but this seemed like the most appropriate place to show these gems off.

"I don't have a half-inch bolt....lets use a four-inch bolt with an assortment of washers."
(I didn't think this bolt would ever end.)
Click to view attachment

"I'm not sure what this is. Just wrap it in duct-tape, copper pipe insulation, and some zip-ties."
(Used as a hood release.)
Click to view attachment

"Hmm....a cork. Yeah...that's the ticket!"
(I love that there are two washers on either side of this...)
Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Beaded lamp pull chain must meet all of the structural requirements for use as a throttle cable! Right?????

Click to view attachment
monkeyboy
I wonder how many of us have a background in VW ownership... When I was buying and selling bugs, all that stuff was par for the course. You expected to see something hacked up.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Dec 17 2013, 11:58 AM) *

I wonder how many of us have a background in VW ownership... When I was buying and selling bugs, all that stuff was par for the course. You expected to see something hacked up.

Stuff like that was our definition of "Fahrvergnugen."
monkeyboy
exactly.
rhodyguy
facet fuel pump mounted on the pass side engine tin inside the engine compartment and plumbed with cloth (deteriorated) covered fuel line.
CptTripps
From the "Department of Redundancy Department"
Same number of tap-screws on both sides. I guess they had the screws. Why not use them all?
Chris H.
Wow...those need to go in the "bad parts museum". The cork piece is a work of art! And the original one? The carpet in the door? That door had to weigh a TON when it rained. Although the lamp chain.... idea.gif

Wish I still had pics of my '73 2.0 parts car from waaay back. The sail panels were repaired with black tar and then roofing material over the top (tar paper I think...). It wasn't a BAD job...didn't realize it until I took the near-perfect trim pieces off....
mikesmith
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 18 2013, 05:13 AM) *

From the "Department of Redundancy Department"
Same number of tap-screws on both sides. I guess they had the screws. Why not use them all?

That looks like Renegade's work; everything I touch is slammed into the body with tek screws (or fat-head rivets). Even their cable shifter is just tek'ed to the centre tunnel.
ripper911
I wish I would have gotten a picture of my 911's seatbelt receivers while they were still in the car, some DAPO attached them to the car with bondo.
smj
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Dec 18 2013, 12:29 PM) *

I wish I would have gotten a picture of my 911's seatbelt receivers while they were still in the car, some DAPO attached them to the car with bondo.

That sounds like the work of a Darwin Award candidate... Just how much Bondo was there?
914Sixer
It is good to see the handy work of FORMER rocket scientists in action.
CptTripps
Here's another good one.

Looks like 3 attempts at getting the spoiler in the right place...and then a tube of silicone was used without ever touching the fiberglass. Kinda like a "reverse moat" around the holes.
carr914
Click to view attachment
914itis
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jan 17 2014, 05:34 AM) *

Here's another good one.

Looks like 3 attempts at getting the spoiler in the right place...and then a tube of silicone was used without ever touching the fiberglass. Kinda like a "reverse moat" around the holes.

The silicone is there to keep water out of the trunk. Ask me how I know?.......
topatrout914
WTF.gif I can't imagine why some DAPO would do this to a shock.

Click to view attachment

Just the thought of welding on an oil filled pressure vessel??? screwy.gif

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
I think it is of greater concern to find out what other things a person that would weld a shock might have done to the car. You can at least see this!
toolguy
I'd imagine that was their way of lowering the back of the car. .
euro911
I found out why the 'BB's left headlight didn't stay put very well. This must have happened way out in the boonies, or before the magical world of internet shopping and 914 forums confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

This was in the mid section of 'BB' - attached with 26 rivets, for the tail-shift transmission's shift rod blink.gif ... mind you, the 'BB' is a 1975 slap.gif

Click to view attachment

Here's what I found when I removed it

Click to view attachment

No pix, but it also had late rubber mounts on the engine brackets PLUS early rubber mounts on the outboard ends of the mounting bar screwy.gif

... and the battery tray. Not shown is the bungee cord that held the battery in place sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Oh, and the foil tape hell hole patch shades.gif

All of this has been corrected mueba.gif
sixnotfour
I'd imagine that was their way of lowering the back of the car. .

More likely to raise it because of the sagging rear springs, nose up attitude..
SirAndy
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jan 27 2014, 03:39 AM) *
Flairs?

icon8.gif
euro911
Click to view attachment
flipb
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 27 2014, 02:14 PM) *

That's egregious.

Real Creamsicle sans tits, or faux creamsicle?
CptTripps
Real. COA and everything. It's on eBay right now.
Java2570
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 27 2014, 02:14 PM) *

I saw that one last night and was cracking up!!
GaroldShaffer
The 1972 parts car I just cut up. I bought the car from the original owner. He purchased two Porsche badges and then mounted them in the sail panels. I have the paper to prove it. The were held in by wall anchors. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
here is how you fix a broken suspension mount
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(gms @ Jan 27 2014, 11:13 PM) *

blink.gif

Or play Russian Roulette?
Mike Bellis
OK, I'll post this. PO used this custom bolt setup to attache the rear fiberglass bumper.

Why not just weld the first bolt to the bracket?

Click to view attachment
Old Yella
Are they orange bar badges?

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jan 27 2014, 06:40 PM) *

The 1972 parts car I just cut up. I bought the car from the original owner. He purchased two Porsche badges and then mounted them in the sail panels. I have the paper to prove it. The were held in by wall anchors. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

McMark
I love this thread. wub.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(gms @ Jan 27 2014, 11:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hey Glenn. Isn't that the car that had an NOS floor pan installed but was never painted and rusted?
OU8AVW
I'll have allot more but I'm not done putting the car back together....and I haven't sold it yet biggrin.gif
CptTripps
I'm trying to think of a way to attach those WITHOUT using wall anchors...and can't think of a way.

That suspension mount is just plain awesome.
Chris H.
agree.gif Look how weak the mounting point is on the body for that hinge apparatus...how is that even still attached?
worn
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 19 2010, 02:28 AM) *

Just sayin'...

I don't agree. That carpet foam was just a sponge that held water and Mark said the drain holes were plugged. Dynamat doesn't hold any water. Also I think that any 914 that is being restored today will most likely be stored in a garage vs outside in the elements for the last 40 years.

I agree with the second but not with the first. Dynamat will hold water against the metal for sure. Same way the tar did that was originally installed. Wherever there isn't adhesion the water will eventually find it, and once there will like it because there will be no air currents to carry it away. I have used it though.
Somewhere someone had a comment about a sort of heavy silicone floor pad that you didn't really bond down so it could be lifted out for drying. I like the idea but haven't seen the product.
carr914
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 28 2014, 04:33 PM) *

Just sayin'...

I agree with the second but not with the first. Dynamat will hold water against the metal for sure. Same way the tar did that was originally installed. Wherever there isn't adhesion the water will eventually find it, and once there will like it because there will be no air currents to carry it away. I have used it though.
Somewhere someone had a comment about a sort of heavy silicone floor pad that you didn't really bond down so it could be lifted out for drying. I like the idea but haven't seen the product.

But in 20 Years, most 914s will still be in the Garage on Jackstands! Tough for water to get in there!
Eric_Shea
So... when you add extra padding to your door panels, you can't get the door to latch past the first latch catch.

When you can't get the latch to latch past the first latch catch you add enough Bondo to the quarter panel to match the current position of the door... blink.gif

Don't add padding to your door panels.

IPB Image
bulitt
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 28 2014, 04:33 PM) *

Just sayin'...

Yoga Mat from Target, 10$
bulitt
Pedal cluster floor. layers of riveted metal, bndo, slicone, rust.

IPB Image
CptTripps
Not exactly DUMB stuff...but I found some cool stuff.

Picked both of these from underneath the driver-side headlight bucket.

First: Birth control pill holder.

Then: A Styx tape.

Yeah...I'm a lucky SOB.
vw505
Sweet.
topatrout914
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jan 29 2014, 05:40 PM) *

Pedal cluster floor. layers of riveted metal, bndo, slicone, rust.

IPB Image

There is a serial riveter in the 914 World and they must be stopped!! chair.gif My car also had several riveted patch panels with nasty tar based undercoating everywhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.