Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat Exchanger Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mr Pharmacist
Hi all,

I currently have a 1.7 engine and corresponding 1.7 heat exchangers and new bursch exhaust.

A 2056cc engine has come up for sale, and i am wondering if the heat exchangers will fit, or would i need to replace them with 2 litre versions.

I have found these images on DDK that show the differences between 1.7 & 2.0 litre HE's - from the photo it looks like the main difference is at the muffler end? So if i continue to use the 1.7 muffler hanger, will they fit?

Thanks
Stuart

IPB Image
poorsche914
The 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers use a different muffler and hanger than the 2.0 version.
The HEs that you have along with the hanger and muffler will work on the 2056.
dlee6204
The 1.7L stuff will work fine. The differences are the connections at the muffler end. As long as you have a matching set (1.7 exchanger, 1.7 hanger, and 1.7 muffler) then you should be good to go.
SLITS
They will fit as is, but will be slightly restrictive (bends and pipe diameter).

Best bet is to locate '73-'74 setup complete (HEs, hanger and muffler).
Gint
I've always been under the impression that the SSI SS HE's all had the same internal pipe diameter. huh.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 19 2010, 07:24 AM) *

I've always been under the impression that the SSI SS HE's all had the same internal pipe diameter. huh.gif

He didn't say his current HEs were SS.
Gint
I scanned the text quickly. I was distracted by the shiny objects in the pictures (which are all SS HE's).
Mr Pharmacist
thanks for the replies.

my HE's aren't SS unfortunately. HE's are hard and expensive to get hold of in the UK.

But the 1.7 HE's i have are in very good condition and i'd like to use them if i can.

I can live with a bit of restriction on a 2056 engine - it has to be better than running a 1.7 doesn't it? biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 19 2010, 07:17 AM) *

They will fit as is, but will be slightly restrictive (bends and pipe diameter).

Best bet is to locate '73-'74 setup complete (HEs, hanger and muffler).

agree.gif

Stuart - why spend the time, money & effort to get a bigger & more powerful engine, then hang on the smaller & more restrictive 1.7 exhaust system to create back pressure so the engine won't meet it's full potential.

Go with the SS HE's, which you can get easily on the board's classifieds, 914club, TheSamba.com, evil-bay, etc. right now at around $400 + shipping to the UK. Gint is correct that the SSI 1.7/1.8 HEs used the same larger diameter tubes as the 2.0s, but they have the extra bend at the rear to fit the muffler/hanger geometry, so you want to find proper 2.0 SS HEs & then do the full 2.0 exhaust system front to back.

I know too that Jonathan at GPR (see banner ad or member vendors) has a couple of the 2.0 muffler hangers right now which he'll cut you a deal on right now & ship to UK - they're repro (OEM are NLA) & primed, but look & fit exactly the same as OE & he'll ship to UK (I just got one Sat & he had 2 more). GPR has a good stash of parts in both new & used, so ask him about what else you need to combine on shipping!

IIRC you can get Dansk OES style 2.0 banana mufflers, Bursch & a few others out there in the UK/Euro-land cheaper than we here in the States!

Save your 1.7 engine & exhaust in "cold storage" in your garage if it's numbers matching to your 914, in case you want to sell it in the future to an originality CW wanker though.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rwilner
Or splurge and get chris foley's system
Mr Pharmacist
hmmm, thanks for the replies guys.

looks like i should have rethink on my engine project idea.gif
SirAndy
Get a set of 1.7/1.8 SSI exchangers and use them with your current muffler and hanger on the 2056.

The 1.7L SSI have the same pipe diameter as the 2.0L SSI ...

The added bonus on top of the additional power from the 2056 will be the much better HEAT you get out of a set of SSIs.

Not that one would need heat in a car in the sunny UK ... popcorn[1].gif
pete
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 23 2010, 03:21 PM) *

Get a set of 1.7/1.8 SSI exchangers and use them with your current muffler and hanger on the 2056.

The 1.7L SSI have the same pipe diameter as the 2.0L SSI ...

The added bonus on top of the additional power from the 2056 will be the much better HEAT you get out of a set of SSIs.

Not that one would need heat in a car in the sunny UK ... popcorn[1].gif

How do you know if they are stainless? I have a pair where the shields are not magnetic at all but the pipes are slightly magnetic. The flanges are slightly more magnetic then the pipes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.