Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 quick and easy questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
I just put the 19mm master cylinder in the car... went in 10x smoother this time...

what color should the wire be that connects on the M/C switch? I have 2 wires, one looks white, the other yellow... but only 1 connection on the master cylinder... which one goes there? and where does the other one go?

the other stupid Q... I want to put my chome "PORSCHE" letters on the grill... how do I take the old clips off of the gold letters without messing them up? so that they can be used again?

thanks for the help!
Eric_Shea
Sounds like you need to take the switch off your old MC and use it on the new one. It should be a two plug switch. The singles are for the earlier pre 69 911's (me thinks) with the single stage MC's

The clips should come by spinning. If not take a pick and seperate the tabs and pull.
tat2dphreak
well, damn... the old one went with the old car... this M/C was new... maybe I have another old one around with the right switch... if not... which wire does the Parking brake and which one does the brake malfunction warning?and I'll just hook 1 of them up...

thanks!
Eric_Shea
I believe the parking brake wire is on the hand lever for the parking brake not the M/C.

My earlier reply was wrong. The two wires you have are for the earlier "Dual Pole" switches installed in 70-73 cars. The later cars (74-76) had "Single Pole" switches. You should get the early style switch and replace the later.

You may be able to hook up the "white" and leave the other hanging. That's what they did on my 911. I just check and both on the 911 look like standard Porsche brown ground wires coming out of a stock harness... confused24.gif
tat2dphreak
according to the Haynes manual, both connect to that switch, but it doesn't say which is which... :| I'll find a 2 pole switch...

on the letters: the holders don't twist on/off... and they get jacked when you pull them off... it looks like they are a metal clamp (surrounded by rubber) that's made to go on one way and not to slide off... I got one off ok (but screwed up the post on the letter)

so, my options seem to be: 1) screw up the posts on the letters (what are used GOLD letters going for anyway? ) or 2) can you get the new "clamps" for the letters... that seems like a better option if they are not very expensive... what do ya'll think?
Joseph Mills
Don't screw up your letters. The little clamps are cheap and available at your local hardware store.
Dave_Darling
One wire should be brown, the other brown/white. (That's brown with a white stripe.) The brown, as always, is the ground. The other is shorted to ground when the switch detects a problem, and that turns the warning light on.

The new switch grounds through its threads. Tape the brown wire up and out of the way so it doesn't get tangled up on anything, plug the brown/white wire into the switch.

If the wires really are not those colors, use an ohmmeter to find the ground wire. Should have zero resistance to ground. The other should have either infinite, or some non-zero amount of resistance. The one with zero resistance is the ground wire, tape that up. The other is the sender wire, plug that in.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.