Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Carpet. New Tool.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
The box of new carpet arrived! Yippie! No more 70's shag from the DAPO.
Naturally I had to tidy up the cabin. In a prior thread someone mentioned using the Multi Function tool as a quick way to pull up the tar.

Wow does it work and fast. I got the HF variable speed thar comes with a scraper and 2 cutting blades. Using the scraper, I completely stripped the back half of tar in 30 minutes. Clean. No more torch. No more gray gun. No more hammer and chisel.

The tool was $76 on sale less the 20% coupon. Pass the word it works. beerchug.gif
jsayre914
too late dry.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 19 2010, 05:46 PM) *

Naturally I had to tidy up the cabin. In a prior thread someone mentioned using the Multi Function tool as a quick way to pull up the tar.

Wow does it work and fast. I got the HF variable speed thar comes with a scraper and 2 cutting blades. Using the scraper, I completely stripped the back half of tar in 30 minutes. Clean. No more torch. No more gray gun. No more hammer and chisel.

The tool was $76 on sale less the 20% coupon. Pass the word it works. beerchug.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

-- Rob
draganc
Here you go:

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/m...tool-67256.html

I paid $20 with a coupon a few weeks ago. great little tool. works excelent with wood.

draganc
An here the picture.....
rwilner
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 19 2010, 06:46 PM) *

what's the plan now that it's stripped? POR15 and dynamat?
913B
Sorry for the dumb question but what is the purpose of removing the tar, lessen the weight on the car, wouldn't it be good for rust prevention to leave it there. I am planning to install carpet too.
swood
it doesn't form fit to the floor pan, so it has voids underneath. Since its not waterproofing that would keep water out, it will have a tendency to allow water to migrate below and sit there.
bandjoey
Almost all rear windows leak after 30 years, and water sits on the pan UNDER the tar.

Hidden Rust is there. Reseal the rear window and Get it cleaned up now and save a lot of problems later. Search rear window and you'll come up with threads on how to. It's an easy project compared to welding in new pans when you fall through the floor. chair.gif

It's also 20lbs of weight out of the car.

Yep, wire wheel the paint, and por and paint the crap out of the pan. I'm looking into other options cheaper than dynomat. I know that's supposed to be the best.

Other suggestions you've used and happy with? Rhino lining? Alligator skin?
913B
smile.gif Ahh I see, dang another addition to my To Do List. THe HF link shows it at $35 FYI.

Thank you
arkitect
I found this rust encapsulator, Hammerite Rust Cap. It worked really cool, comes in a quart size can and paints on with a brush but becomes as smooth as glass. Also comes in different colors, I went for silver.

Dave
arkitect
Here's a shot of the can.
Click to view attachment
bandjoey
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Sep 19 2010, 11:49 PM) *

smile.gif Ahh I see, dang another addition to my To Do List. THe HF link shows it at $35 FYI.

Thank you

HF has 3 models. Don't get the battery powered one..it'll poop out just when you're ready to go. The gray one has I think .5amp higher motor rating over the orange one and it comes in a spiffy carry box.

I'll look up Hammerite. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.