Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Space saver spare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
Show me your space savers

How did you mount yours if you run front cooler?

Where did you get yours? Pelican?

Will it matter if I am running 16X6 (front) and 16X7 (rear)

jt914-6
Mounted my space saver spare in rear trunk as front was taken up with oil cooler and fuel cell. Got it from a friend's shop who works on Porsches. I think it's from a 944. It is a 165/15.....I'm using 7 & 8 X 15's

Click to view attachment
qa1142
Targa top still fits on top of that?
jt914-6
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Sep 19 2010, 07:31 PM) *

Targa top still fits on top of that?

Yep....no problem....only thing close to the top is the Koni adjustable shock stems.
JRust
I had a 16x7 fuch with a 205/55 that I put in my rear trunk. It fit with the top no problem. I have a space saver now but the original fit fine.
PRS914-6
I don't know what brakes you are using but the 964 spare was the only one to clear my brake setup on 16" wheels. Check clearance before the final install

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
I use a full size tire in my trunk. Targa fits over it just fine!

205 50 15 IIRC
Elliot Cannon
Call Jonathan at GPR. I think I saw a few spares in his shop last Saturday.
qa1142
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Sep 19 2010, 09:19 PM) *

I don't know what brakes you are using but the 964 spare was the only one to clear my brake setup on 16" wheels. Check clearance before the final install

Click to view attachment

Stock '74 911T but this is what I think I want and how did you mount that without punching a hole in the gas tank?
PRS914-6
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Sep 20 2010, 05:41 AM) *

Stock '74 911T but this is what I think I want and how did you mount that without punching a hole in the gas tank?

I did it with the gas tank out. I used a plate about 4 inches square and drilled a small hole in each corner. Drilled a 1/2" hole in the center, slid a long bolt through and welded the bolt head to the plate.

Next I set the spare in the car and drilled a 1/2 inch hole through the center of the wheel through the firewall.

I slid the bolt/plate in from the gas tank side and used pop rivets to attach the plate to the firewall.

I use the OEM 964 jack that's in molded foam inside the wheel and there is still enough room above it to store tools inside the wheel.

The whole setup works pretty well and leaves the trunks with a little more room for gear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.