Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heater
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
To improve the heating situation in the cab, in the winter with my Subie conversion, my mechanic suggested some sort of pump that would go in the heater hose, but couldn't recall where he seen it at and he says the pump would need to be hooked up to a switched 12 volt source. Anybody heard of such a thing or what it is called?
rick 918-S
Try Jegs or Summit Racing. Some of the drag cars use an electric water pump in place of the belt driven unit. Also check the RV places. Maybe try a 12V RV water pump.
Mike Bellis
There are all kinds of 12V pumps. FlowTec makes some. I built a heater in my fresh air box. It works great! many doubted it would.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1291075

It's very easy to do. Your engine may be able to push enough water now.
partwerks
I have the under dash heater/AC unit from Renegade hybrids, but the heater unit seems to barely get over luke warm. Not sure why it is so whimpy?
realred914
you shouldn't need a pump just for heater if the car alreay has a water pump, just splice into it, my conversion has some old tiny heater cores up in the dash hooked to the duct work you can buy a generric heater valve from many hotrod stores. then yor good to go, i dont get the need for a pump for the heater?
IronHillRestorations
Maybe the thermostat is stuck open?
partwerks
According to the temp gauge, even in the summer it is just under 180 degrees.

It just barely gets over luke warm and with the recent cold snap it takes about 5 miles to begin to throw some heat.
rick 918-S
Ok, 180 engine temp, what's the radiator temp? I run two gauges and my radiator gauge runs cooler than my engine gauge. So say your heater core is at 165. With a fan running over the core that's luke warm air. Maybe try running a 195 stat.

The air from stock H.E. is probably several 100 deg. Exhaust pipes are like what?... 400 deg or something.
partwerks
I may stand corrected. I can find out which it is.
partwerks
This is what my mechanic mentioned about the temp gauge:

The temp gauge is installed in a hose off the back of the engine and would only relate engine temp. The heater is simply Teed off the radiator hoses to and from the engine. There may be some more efficient way to direct the water flow thru the heater core but this was not spelled out in the since Renegade sent no instructions.

Also, how hard is it to remove the blower motor if a person wanted to put a source for heat in there? Do I have to remove the gas tank in order to get it out?
Does anyone make a unit that is customized with plumbing that a person could just purchase for swaping out the blower?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.