Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blower Box Clip Removal Tool ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
Any tips on how to remove the clips on the blower box housing. Is there a special tool that works good for the job ?

Thank you
dlee6204
If I recall correctly, there are little holes in each of the clips. I used a snap ring tool and it worked nicely.

Click to view attachment
913B
Will the harbor freight ones do or one from sears or something, I dont have access to snap on dealers sad.gif
bandjoey
My box is different. It has plastic titties on the top and bottom of the box that mate together, and a flat slide on spring clip to hold them together. I broke 1/2 of my box titties trying to get the clips off. They were tight and stuck on with age.

Next time I'll try a PB blaster soak, even though it's on plastic.

Tool in my case is a screwdriver. Suggestions?

Trying to find a pic to post.
Andyrew
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Sep 19 2010, 09:27 PM) *

Will the harbor freight ones do or one from sears or something, I dont have access to snap on dealers sad.gif

HF has those, they all pretty much work the same.

PS he said "snap ring" not "Snap On"
IronHillRestorations
FWIW I wouldn't use PB Blaster anywhere near old plastic. That fresh air box and the front air controls are my favorite thing NOT to touch on a 914!
913B
So I checked out the selection at HF, not so great. Does anyone have a specific one, model, brand and where you purchased it that has worked.

Thanks in Advance

Ted
Mikey914
You should be able to get at any Napa store, or auto parts store with a decient inventory. Those are a pretty standard tool. As for soaking, you shouldn't have to. You can clean the plasic with a plastic cleaning compound, you should be able to find there. Most of the boxes are still in pretty good shape, just the nubs tend to break if your not careful.

I was wanting to do a complete rebuild thread on this if you want to take some pictures and post I'll throw in one of my rebuild kits free of charge. Just PM me.

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 1 2010, 06:37 PM) *

You should be able to get at any Napa store, or auto parts store with a decient inventory. Those are a pretty standard tool. As for soaking, you shouldn't have to. You can clean the plasic with a plastic cleaning compound, you should be able to find there. Most of the boxes are still in pretty good shape, just the nubs tend to break if your not careful.

I was wanting to do a complete rebuild thread on this if you want to take some pictures and post I'll throw in one of my rebuild kits free of charge. Just PM me.

Good Idea! I'd like to see the in/out of this project. smile.gif
913B
I will try my best. Kinda intimidated, went over 23 pages of threads about blower box rebuild and almost every one of them say they broke something, hhhmmmm. sad.gif

76-914
wacko.gif There's a tool??? I just slid them on & off with screw driver and pliers.
McMark
Not a whole lot inside. Take pictures as you go if you're worried about mixing anything up. But dive in. If you get stuck, just ask. I've don't a few, but never took pictures.
bandjoey
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 5 2010, 09:35 PM) *

wacko.gif There's a tool??? I just slid them on & off with screw driver and pliers.

Mine were so stuck on I broke several of the plastic tits getting them to slide off, even with lube spay.
Yep..a rebuild for the Classic Section would be great.
Mikey914
Send me your shipping info if you want to do it. I'll provide the seals
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.