Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glasspacks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trent1542
Anyone ever done it? Is it even possible on a 914?
turnaround89
yes its possible, but its extremely loud. My car came with one originally and now we are switching to something way different. Idk if someone made this piece or what, but off the exhaust hanger bolted to the exhaust flanges was a 4 into 1 collector that had a 3 bolt triangular flange on the end of it. the glasspack also had the triangular flange and bolted right up. Ill take a picture of the 4 into 1 collector, i think someone else was selling the same thing i have a little while ago

edit: yup found what i was looking for, someone is selling this in the classifieds, i have the same thing

Glasspack Muffler Setup
cary
Ditto ............... tried it for about 30 days. WWWWAAAAYYYYY too load.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(cary @ Sep 20 2010, 07:59 AM) *

Ditto ............... tried it for about 30 days. WWWWAAAAYYYYY too load.

Me likes 'em loud, just made my LE louder yesterday. aktion035.gif
rhcb914
My car came with a Bursch that had the muffler removed and a glass pack welded in place. At first I loved the sound but with in several months and 1 long drive I ditched that quick! With the top off and an hour in the car my ears were ringing. I like loud pipes but it was WAY too much.
trent1542
Haha thanks guys, I think I'm gonna stick to a bursch exhaust when I put her back together.. biggrin.gif
aircooledtechguy
I built this for my Bursch Sebring header. I love it!! I didn't like how the Sebring muffler made the car sound like a VW. I don't care for a single glass pack sound; a dual 2.5" sounds great. A performance car should sound like a performance car biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
trent1542
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Sep 20 2010, 08:58 AM) *

I built this for my Bursch Sebring header. I love it!! I didn't like how the Sebring muffler made the car sound like a VW. I don't care for a single glass pack sound; a dual 2.5" sounds great. A performance car should sound like a performance car biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

It looks like you have something covering the tips? is it just there temporarily to keep critters out or what?
cool setup by the way shades.gif
McMark
The Triad muffler is built with glasspacks as well and it's a bad ass setup. One of my favorites.

But a single glasspack is too loud for my taste.

IPB Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBf1cpu2A2k
messix
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 20 2010, 05:26 PM) *

The Triad muffler is built with glasspacks as well and it's a bad ass setup. One of my favorites.

not glass packs!

turbo tubes http://www.performancepartsforcars.net/law...ube-muffler.htm
McMark
Oooooooooooooh! 051103-stupid4.gif

Learn sumptin new every day. teef.gif
messix
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 20 2010, 05:37 PM) *

Oooooooooooooh! 051103-stupid4.gif

Learn sumptin new every day. teef.gif

its so k!

i thought the same thing till i talked with Dave him self in packwood at the shoot out.
ottox914
My "turbo" muffler. I found out this weekend 6" of tail pipe is apparently not enough. At our autocross yesterday I was kicked off the grid for being TOO LOUD. The event had a 95db limit, at WOT in 2nd gear and 6500 rpm I was at 97db. On the street at more "restrained" speeds, its loud but not amazingly loud. I'm ordering a supertrapp disc muffler to add on to the end of the pipe for events only.
messix
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Sep 20 2010, 07:52 PM) *

My "turbo" muffler. I found out this weekend 6" of tail pipe is apparently not enough. At our autocross yesterday I was kicked off the grid for being TOO LOUD. The event had a 95db limit, at WOT in 2nd gear and 6500 rpm I was at 97db. On the street at more "restrained" speeds, its loud but not amazingly loud. I'm ordering a supertrapp disc muffler to add on to the end of the pipe for events only.

NO! just get a 90degree turn down aim it at the ground and you should be ok!
trent1542

man what is going on this in that picture wacko.gif
ottox914
QUOTE(messix @ Sep 20 2010, 07:00 PM) *

NO! just get a 90degree turn down aim it at the ground and you should be ok!

Possibly. I talked with a couple guys who were over at nationals a week ago or so, and a 90 degree down packed with steel wool and some window screen clamped over the end to prevent "blow outs" got 2-3db on an STS civic. That barely gets me under 95, and if the wind is blowing the wrong way, I could be over again. I agree the supercrapp is a restriction to the system, but I can add discs till I'm at 92 or so, and make it as free flowing as I can and still make the sound nanny's happy.
Kansas 914
I have had this muffler for a few years - waiting to install in the '72 1.7L when it gets back from paint shop. I have never heard it on a running engine so I don't know how loud this will be or where it came from - pretty sure it is a one off someone fabricated.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
black73
My car had one like that when I bought it in 1983. Sound reminded me of a Baja bug with a "stinger" muffler sticking up in the air. Still have it, but not on the car. bye1.gif
jt914-6
Ottox914.....On my six years ago I got the disc only Supertrapp and it was too loud for the street. I bought two of the stainless/glasspacked shorties and they worked good. There is a model in the following link that might work for you. It's like the ones I used except it has a built in hanger bracket. On my current six, I'm using the 18.5" ones. I think that you would have to choke it down too much with the disc only model using just a few discs to quiet it down. With the shorties, they would quiet it down and you still could open it up with several discs...10-18 should do.... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUP-443-2011/?rtype=10
Didn't mean to hijack....I had a glasspack on my 1.7 and it was loud.....but I was young and liked it....

Shorties on old six:

Click to view attachment

current ones:

Click to view attachment
Sven914
I have built this exhaust from a Bursch and Glasspack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le1K9323-mk

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Alphaogre
You can always pack them or add a baffle....

It just so happens that I got 2 glasspacks delivered the other day, and I am going to pick up the rest of the necessary tubing on Friday. This weekend I am looking to build a below concept for my former 1.7, and now 1911 motor. I am thinking the fabricated X pipe portion will make a great sound, or horrible one haha?!?! biggrin.gif

Currently I have an EMPI dual muffler that came with the car, but makes the back end look like a VW bus... barf.gif

I don't have a rear valance, and dont really want one, so I am hoping this set up can tuck up behind the bumper. Much like a triad.

Click to view attachment
mgp4591
That's a great looking design- have you seen another one like it or is it your original? You may even want to merge the two elbows together a little more. I don't think you'll be restricting it at all and you may pick up a little more scavenging to boot plus bouncing the sound waves off each other more should result in a good tone too. We need to hear this when you're done! popcorn[1].gif
Alphaogre
Yea, its not perfectly to scale, I will play with how much of the J bends I will cut out to merge them.

I got the idea from looking at a "race" exhaust on a GT3 and thought the X pipe portion was interesting how they had the two come together, then separate again into their own resonators on each side.

It also solved the solution of fitting 2 Glasspacks on after the the tranny hanger mount location. The original design was for them to come back towards each other end empty with 2 pipes centered like the old 550's but its not necessary and not worth the added cost/work. There is a version with a tab that is added support after the Glasspack and before the turn out, not sure if it it will be needed or not.

I have been playing around with the idea for awhile, so Im excited to see how it will finally work!
porschetub
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 22 2010, 11:13 AM) *

I have had this muffler for a few years - waiting to install in the '72 1.7L when it gets back from paint shop. I have never heard it on a running engine so I don't know how loud this will be or where it came from - pretty sure it is a one off someone fabricated.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Kinda looks like the Kombi one than Empi made but its not,pipe length is different,it won't be very quiet,glasspacks always seem to get louder with age,the fibres seem to blow out over time.
The Triad seems to get past the noise by using 3 glass packs,or is the centre one merely a junction to the others confused24.gif .
I have used glass packs as a resonator on the many Golfs I have owned and they worked fine.
jd74914
I have one exactly like that. It was waayyyy too loud for me even after welding in a new glasspack (at age 21 on top of that laugh.gif ) so I swapped it.
76-914
icon_bump.gif
Alphaogre
Well, here is mine, had to modify the design a little The 2 into 1 portion was off the original EMPI exhaust kit, I just cut them before they tapered back down. The tubing is all 2".

Anyway, these are just two glasspacks from Jegs, and a X pipe design integrated. The car started off as 1.7 but is a short stroke 1911cc motor now...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/24440/10002/-1

Here is how they sound...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x69RYVZxQKM

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Apr 4 2016, 05:45 PM) *

Well, here is mine, had to modify the design a little The 2 into 1 portion was off the original EMPI exhaust kit, I just cut them before they tapered back down. The tubing is all 2".

Anyway, these are just two glasspacks from Jegs, and a X pipe design integrated. The car started off as 1.7 but is a short stroke 1911cc motor now...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/24440/10002/-1

Here is how they sound...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x69RYVZxQKM

Click to view attachment

looks good ,just remember glasspaks are directional and that makes a real difference,the raised punched internal baffle opening should be open to direction of flow...you most likely know that anyhow.
Some aren't marked with a directional arrow reason I asked.
Nice to see people like yourself thinking out of the square,great work.
Alphaogre
Yea, I was somewhat concerned about the angle that the exhaust would enter the glasspacks, as it would not be a straight shot through, but then I saw some glasspacks you can buy that have angled entry and exit. I figured if anything it will just make them quieter since the swirl of the exhaust gases would hit the wall of the glass pack and condense as it passes though. I was also not as concerned since they are acting more as resonators, the X pip changed the directional pressure, I think the glasspacks are loudest as they have all the pressure passing though in a straight through direction.

In the end its not like im running a full harmonically balanced header system... biggrin.gif
Porsche930dude
I used bus manifolds to dual glass packs going straight out the back it was wayy too loud so i built a muffler using a junk yard muffler that i gutted a bit. The volume is good now but it sounds not so good. I may redo it again someday but im not sure what I should do. I may revert back to the 914 headers and modify a stock muffler
Alphaogre
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.