Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Temp gauge(s)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
ok guys, i have a dash combo gauge and a console temp gauge. do they both use the same sender? i have a new sender from pelican that says "temp sender for OE gauge" (lot of help huh) they are both OE do they both use that sender? i would like to tun temp in the dash (combo) and oil preesure (aftermarket vdo gauge) in the console. do I just need to "extend" the temp wires from the console to the dash?
MXMARK
Aaron, What is the sender temp rating. 150c or 170c it should show on the sender. Mark
TheCabinetmaker
The oil temp sender should be for the gauge in the console. It connects to the taco plate on the bottom front of the motor. The light on the combo gauge is for the oil pressure. Sender is aft of the diz. Two different animals. Don't think the senders are interchangable, but I could be wrong.
Aaron Cox
pelican part number: 039-919-268
vdo temp sender says :200C max
Aaron Cox
VSG,
i have a combo gauge that has a TEMP gauge built into (ala 914/6 style and 73-76 914's that werent sold w/ consoles)

and i already installed the aftermarket pressure sender and the matching gauge.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(MXMARK @ Apr 17 2004, 03:47 PM)
Aaron, What is the sender temp rating. 150c or 170c it should show on the sender. Mark

mark, i have a sender already in the taco plate and have a new one in my hand from pelican... The pelican one is 200 C max

dont know what the one currently installed is
MXMARK
Aaron, The dash combo gauge is that the 914-6 gauge that you have? With temp and fuel? Yes you just extend the wire into the dash for the sender and jump the power wire from the fuel gauge to the temp gauge. I am a little worried that the pressure sender that you have will only work with an aftermarket gauge. What is the reeding on the pressure gauge? 10 bar or 5 bar or ?. Mark
MXMARK
Aaron that is a 392 f sender or 400. I do not know the rating on the gauge. Are there calibration marks on the outside edge of the gauge like on the 911 gauges? I think when the sender hits 200c or 392f that the gauge hits the stop (full gound). If the gauge is only a 150c/300f or 170c/340f then the readings will be off. sorry to be behind, I type slow.Bad spelling too.Mark
Aaron Cox
yes my combo is temp/tank
my vdo press sender is calibrated with the vdo cockpit gauge ~ 80 psi i believe
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(MXMARK @ Apr 17 2004, 04:09 PM)
Aaron that is a 392 f sender or 400. I do not know the rating on the gauge. Is there calibration marks on the outside edge of the gauge like on the 911 gauges? I think when the sender hits 200c or 392f that the gauge hits the stop (full gound). If the gauge is only a 150c/300f or 170c/340f then the readings will be off. Mark

good point...ill go look at my guage and fool around with it.

thanks for the help
Aaron Cox
ok, goingf by this chart: i dont have the 914/6 combo but the 73-76 2.0 non concole car gauge p/n 914 641 101 "30" vs 914/6 " " " "20"

soo..... that leads me to believe that the sender i have will work with the gauge.
MXMARK
Aaron, I think you are right. The 914/6 gauge should be a 150c/300f gauge, or that is match to the 911 150c/300f gauge and sender.
John
Yes the sender will work for EITHER the console gauge or the combo temp gauge, but not both at the same time. I tried that at one point for giggles and each gauge read exactly 1/2 of what it should have.

Is your combo gauge a plain looking one with no colors or are there color markings/hash marks?

I have one of each (but currently use the plain one as I know it came from a 1974 2.0 without console).

BTW, where did you dig up that gauge/sender chart?
MXMARK
Gauge chart from PP
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....=oil+temp+gauge
John
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. What was the original source of the chart. I could have guessed that the jpg came from there, but they didn't create the chart. It looks like it may be scanned from Panorama...... I'm wondering because it isn't very complete and is is definately 911 biased.
MXMARK
Johnman, Sorry I should have been a little smarter. I also wished for a better chart when I was installing a pressure sender and temp sender on my 914 to match the 911 gauges that I purchased. I still need to clean up th gauges.
Mark
Aaron Cox
apparently came from pano....

thanks mark and johnman.
dinomium
I seem to remember ordering mine by the OHM... Are we talkin aboot the 914-6 style gage? I will go check my box
dinomium
Here is the box for mine, it says 150 C right on the sending unit...
dinomium
and here it is:
Bleyseng
I went to the same setup using a 911 combo gauge and a 912 tach. I took them to a Porsche shop to get the correct senders as this was before that chart was posted.

Geoff
MXMARK
Geoff, That dash looks great. Mark
Aaron Cox
nice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.