Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Congrats Tod!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
dcheek
Congratulations to Tod (tod914)! He won 1st place in the Porsche Class at the 6th Annual All Air Cooled Gathering. I had the pleasure of judging his car - okay everyone, can you repeat after me? C-L-E-A-N! Okay, one more time C-L-E-A-N! There were four 914's, two 356's, two 911's among the 350 air cooled cars in attendance. Tod won a limited edition (for this event only) signed and numbered poster.

The attention to detail regarding originality is amazing, along with his preservation and preparation skills. These are the things I look for and admire as a judge.

I'm glad a 914 won. Good job Tod. Oh, and by the way, thanks for the beer.

Pat, sorry, since Tod is such a valuable contributor to the Originality forum, I though more people would appreciate this post here rather that in the Garage. If you have to move it please wait a couple of days. Thanks.

Dave

Click to view attachment
Tod's car is the red 914 with him standing in the rear with the trunk lid raised.
bembry
Very nice!
MDG
Nice! Cheers, Tod.

m.
tod914
Thanks guys. I'll post a link to photobucket soon as I go through them and upload the shots to the site. Dave thanks again had a great time. Didn't think I stood a chance against the 356's. Some nice teeners there as well. Fantastic event. Definetly had alittle jump on you with the beer. After numero five, I thought it was best to go, or the morning maintence crew would of been peeling me off the soccer field. You guys out did yourselve's with the effort you put into the awards. Looking foward to more of your club's events next year, now that the car is off of jackstands. I'll keep you posted of some of the upcomming events this Fall. The Sneider and Nelson event sounds like a fun one. Think that's on 10 Oct..
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dcheek @ Sep 20 2010, 01:52 PM) *

Congratulations to Tod (tod914)! He won 1st place in the Porsche Class at the 6th Annual All Air Cooled Gathering. I had the pleasure of judging his car - okay everyone, can you repeat after me? C-L-E-A-N! Okay, one more time C-L-E-A-N! There were four 914's, two 356's, two 911's among the 350 air cooled cars in attendance. Tod won a limited edition (for this event only) signed and numbered poster.

The attention to detail regarding originality is amazing, along with his preservation and preparation skills. These are the things I look for and admire as a judge.

Pat, sorry, since Tod is such a valuable contributor to the Originality forum, I though more people would appreciate this post here rather that in the Garage. If you have to move it please wait a couple of days. Thanks.

Dave

Dave,

Why would I move it??????

Tod's 914 is the epitome of what we're trying to do here!

Congrat's Tod! Well deserved!
Pat

Click to view attachment
Tod's car is the red 914 with him standing in the rear with the trunk lid raised.
sixerdon
Well done Todd!!
Originality, preparation and presentation are hard to beat.

Don
(must have been the rivets)
dcheek
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 20 2010, 02:47 PM) *

Thanks guys. I'll post a link to photobucket soon as I go through them and upload the shots to the site. Dave thanks again had a great time. Didn't think I stood a chance against the 356's. Some nice teeners there as well. Fantastic event. Definetly had alittle jump on you with the beer. After numero five, I thought it was best to go, or the morning maintence crew would of been peeling me off the soccer field. You guys out did yourselve's with the effort you put into the awards. Looking foward to more of your club's events next year, now that the car is off of jackstands. I'll keep you posted of some of the upcomming events this Fall. The Sneider and Nelson event sounds like a fun one. Think that's on 10 Oct..

While I knew Tod's car would be a contender, I too was pleasantly surprised when I added up the score sheet and he surpassed the 356's. I find with most multi marque events that many entrants simply don't know how to clean a car. For instance, the other red 914 in the foreground had the potential to be in contention but, there was dog fur all over the carpeting. I told the owner that with some time and effort he could really do well. So it's the time that is really the issue; he simply didn't want to commit to it.

Tod's car really popped when you walked down the isle. All the lines were crisp and the Fuchs wheels were stunning, as were the tires. Others had bits and pieces nice but fell apart in various areas. You could tell Tod has been doing this for a long time.

Not the first, nor the last award for this guy. Well done!

Dave
tod914
Here's some shots of the show for you guys. Enjoy, more will be on photobucket.

Click to view attachment
Dave Judging Frank's 74 1.8. Very nice car
tod914
Click to view attachment
1947 Best of show winner
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
Dave's immaculate original Camper in the foreground. Forget the year.
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
A few more of the 1947 Beetle
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
tod914
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 21 2010, 11:06 AM) *

Congratz Tod - nice job - she looks great! drooley.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Out of curiosity, what tires did you end up putting on here to CdE? confused24.gif
Tom_T
Ahem ..... ummmm ..... errr .... Dave, weren't we supposed to see pix of your original 76 beauty in the O&H's "The few, the rare..." nailed topic once she came off the dollies & out of winter wraps!!?? confused24.gif

Time to get busy before she's laid up again for the winter! type.gif

I see that Pat weighed in that this is appropriate for O&H, which I strongly concur, since this is the outcome of all the great guidance here in O&H! We all want to see the end result of projects like Tod's! smile.gif drooley.gif wub.gif smilie_pokal.gif

And we all want to see guidance on our resto's, so I was really happy when Steve G. posted Sahara Biege for my 73 2L's resto guidance. Hey, did I mention that there are probaly others out there who need to see a proper original 76 2L!!?? laugh.gif

Good on ya Tod! beerchug.gif

(freaking fingers typing slower than the brain & missing keys to boot!)

QUOTE(dcheek @ Sep 20 2010, 12:52 PM) *

Dave

Click to view attachment
gspreeman
Congrats! I had the silver 356. I took 3rd in the Porsche class and People's Choice overall. That's a sweet car you have. Definately gave me inspiration for this winter's projects. Right now the the engine is in bits an pieces all over the place in various states of restoration and I just spent the last 2 hours cleaning the generator stand with phosphoric acid. The stand looks noticably better but my hands have never been softer!

See you there this coming year.

Greg Spreeman
1965 356SC
smg914
Congrats Tod. I always knew that Bahia Red '73 2 Liter was a special car and had a lot of potential. You ought to send the previous owner (Jack) an email telling him about the car winning 1st place. I'm very, very pleased that this car ended up in the hands of someone who really appreciates it.
tod914
Greg thankyou very much for the compliments. 10 months on jackstands, 10-15 minutes aday.. got it looking much better than when it arrived. Beautiful 356 you have, and congrads on your awards as well. I know very little about those cars. But the more I see them, the more they grow on me. Would love to find a nice late model coupe someday. Mine will be going up on jackstands soon to re-address some of the issues I didn't have time take care of last year. Found a set of nos ss heat exchangers I want to put on, new cv boots, some paint touch up, and other minor items... then hopefully done! Not sure if that's possible with a 914 though. Looking foward to seeing you again at next years events.
@ Steve, thankyou again. When I lived out in California in the late 90's, Joe Boucher of the Santa Barbara region had this car in immaculate condition. Lots of nos parts on it too. It definetly degraded by the time I got it 10 years later. Slowly getting it back to where it once was while under Joe's care. Regarding Jack, I don't think there is a 914 out there that he wouldn't find fault in. I currently do not have his contact information or I would send him the progression link. I think he would be pleased to see the level I brought the car to, but it would still fall short of his expectations. I can count on one hand how many original 914's I know of that he would consider a keeper. By chance did you see the 75/76? orange 914 he sold to a club member in Germany prior to this 73 aquisition? Talk about a beautiful original car... I think he sold it because a portion of one of the rear panels had a respray. I'd love to find a perfect original car too. Likely hood of it happening.. slim to none. smile.gif How's your 6 doing? I know you mentioned that you weren't' going to be too active in events this year.
dcheek
Tom T,

I know, I know, I know.....................My car is still on the dollies and covered. This morning it was 38 degrees. Another season has passed and yes, I totally ignored my 914. I'm afraid that short of changing the oil,bleeding the brakes and adding stabilizer to the fuel, it will be in hibernation until next year. If it makes you feel any better, I ignored my 911 too. This year I concentrated on my VW's. I had many mechanical issues that needed to be addressed so, next year I will tend to the Porsches. Come to think of it I only went to one Porsche event this year! Yikes! Besides, I'll have to do some detailing before photographing after seeing Steve's close-up shots of his Beige 914! Now there's a car I want to judge just to be able to pick and poke around (and drool).

Dave
Eric_Shea
Amazing car. Amazing cars. Amazing pictures. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.