Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: explanation of my current sig. (the health issues)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
As several of you already know, I have Crohn's disease. This has led to many bowell resections, multiple abcess clean-ups, and more swollen joints than I would care to count. It has almost cost me my life multiple times, and I currently have just over 90cm of intestines. I've also had to deal with a certain failed medical device that also almost cost me my life, and I even had the pleasure of watching as my intestines ruptured through an open incision.

Over the weekend for RRC I had my energy budgeted out for activities to ensure that I would be able to participate without over doing it. This went along great until the way home when the little trailer I had with my engine on it blew a tire in the middle of nowhere. It added 3.5 hours of work to my day in driving time and tire changing time.

The effect this, and another possible infection, have had on me: I lost 12 pounds over the weekend. (I am 6'1", and dropped to 132). If I am unable to regain the weight it will mean another central line (translates to big friggin IV under my collar bone pointed right at my heart) that they will provide me with TPN (translates to white milky substance that will assist in nutrition that my body requires and is unable to acquire through diminished natural resources)

Currently I am only able to partially walk/hobble, as my right knee has began to become slightly puffy again, and my right hip is showing similar simptoms.

I absolutely refuse to give up; and I will finish the orders that have already been placed. I feel the need to make sure and communicate this as I do not wish to see a thread open up complaining about me when one of my main goals in life is to do honest business in all of my business transactions. When I took on the new tasks of wheels and emblems, my health was at a point where I could accomplish these adventures. It will return again, it fluctuates through-out the year.

There are a couple of emblems that I sent out that I wish to replace as well, and have promised replacements. These are still going to happen, I am working on them as time and energy allow.

There has been progress on the wheels; I made prototype 4 and had it at RRC. The 3d version is coming along quite nicely and I am really enjoying the opportunity to make these. I appreciate the pre-orders that helped fund the venture and R&D. A picture should be posted soon in the wheel thread, it's on my FB page and I need to add it to the thread on the wheels.

if the belongs in the sandbox; would an admin kindly relocate it for me? It has some content, but mostly about me and my issues.
underthetire
Best wishes man, your a good guy.
VaccaRabite
Jim, I am not in a rush. Get better.

Zach
Cupomeat
ALWAYS, Take care of yourself first.

Everything else is secondary.

Best wishes Man!!

Hope to see you at the next event I can get to!
rick 918-S
Thanks for letting us know. We are watching the wheels and emblems as they develop. Use them for a diversion and enjoy the work.
strawman
Hi Jim --

I haven't ordered anything from you, but I've read your posts with interest.

I'd echo the messages above -- take care of yourself first. My Pops just finished throat cancer radiation/chemo, which began about a month after having a stroke. He is still feeding through a tube in his stomach, and the coughing jags really wear him out. My blind mother just had surgery for the second time in a year after being hit by a tour bus in a crosswalk (at a four-way stop and her with her Guide Dog, no less!). It is sometimes painful to watch loved ones suffer, but I'm continuously amazed at the strength of the human spirit.

Stay with it, and everyone on this board will surely forgive any delays!

Geoff
McMark
sad.gif High hopes for a swift recovery.

And this is absolutely apropos for The Garage. 914World is a community, not a car site, IMHO.
brant
Jim,

I didn't actually know about your illness
you really should take care of your health first.
a few emblems or wheels aren't worth postponing your recovery!

get well
brant
Mark Henry
Sounds just like a friend of ours, all started just after getting a flu shot.
It's been a long road for him, some close calls but the good news he's finally getting better and he's going back to work.

Take care of yourself.
Drums66
..Real sorry to hear this...you'll be in my prayer's

212.gif
ME733
..get better dude.....a prayer or two might just help., give it a try if you havent lately......get well soon.
PeeGreen 914
eh dry.gif walk it off sissy. poke.gif

(seriously Jim, if you need anything you know my number. Get better buddy)
RJMII
Oh wow, thank you everyone! I go lounge on the couch and watch some streaming netflix for a couple of hours and come back to some very appreciated supportive comments. Thank you.

orange914
wow, i would have never known with your positive input here. keep strong my friend your fight courages us all

mike
MoveQik
Hey Jim,

Who cares about the wheels & emblems??!! Take care of yourself so you can come make fun of everyone at Route 66! biggrin.gif

MW
RJMII
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Sep 20 2010, 05:25 PM) *

Hey Jim,

Who cares about the wheels & emblems??!! Take care of yourself so you can come make fun of everyone at Route 66! biggrin.gif

MW

That reminds me, could you plan it for a Korean holiday? That way my wife won't have to take vacation days. She gets paid Korean holidays. smile.gif
AZ914
Sorry to hear about that Jim... Just get well ASAP!
EdwardBlume
Take care of yourself... It says a lot that you let everybody know your situation... I hope you get better... all the best!
Cheapsnake
I wasn't aware of your health issues, but you've got your priorities right. Take care of yourself and we'll be patient.

Tom
914Sixer
Sending blessings your way for a quick recovery.
FourBlades

You are a talented guy and we all love seeing your work.

Take good care of yourself.

John
Dr Evil
You know how I feel wink.gif
Katmanken
Crap,

I'm sorry you have this. Just had some training on this disease.

Guys, if he owes you something, let him get better first.

Take care of yourself first, and finish the other stuff later.

Get better soon.

Ken
Gint
No need to move this. Take care of yourself Jim.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 20 2010, 07:55 PM) *

You know how I feel wink.gif

Soft and squishy? wink.gif laugh.gif
zymurgist
Take care of yourself Jim.
nsr-jamie
Sorry to hear this, honestly I did not know this. Please take your time and take care of your health first and after you start to feel better (no rushing) it would be cool to see those emblems and a set of the wheels...

My RC car is slowly coming along too like my 914

If you need any help I would be glad to help out, remember I use to be a CNC machinist too many years ago before I went tool and die

First priority is your health and than family....hang in there bro!!
Tom_T
Hope you get well without all the lines & such Jim!

... Hang in there!
RJMII
Thank you everyone for the kind words and words of encouragement. smile.gif

Bovey; Walking actually helps. wink.gif

Evil: Yup! You made it quite clear when you picked me up from the airport... wink.gif

Mark Henry; quite interesting... Mine started when I was little and got my immunization shots. (they knocked me flat out with half a shot, and it had nothing to do with my vegas nerve)

[quote] ..get better dude.....a prayer or two might just help., give it a try if you havent lately......get well soon.[/qoute] wink.gif no doubt in my mind whether they work or not.

[quote] wow, i would have never known with your positive input here. keep strong my friend your fight courages us all[/quote]

Thank you. smile.gif

[quote]It says a lot that you let everybody know your situation...[/quote]
It was a difficult thing to do, but I felt it was the right thing. Thank you for the reassurance. smile.gif

RJMII
update:

On Friday I had 250ccs of fluid drained from my knee, and yesterday I had another 180 pulled off of the same knee. It seems to be doing the trick, and I'm working on getting the pain meds out of my system now and getting back into working on my projects.
mojorisen914
Hey Jim,
Give me a shout if you need anything. I haven't really been on FB that much. Use the cell instead. Hang in there bud.
kfish914
Take care of yourself. Best wishes on feeling better.
TurboWalt
Jim,

Take care of yourself, numero uno priority! I wish you a speedy recovery. When the wheels are done they are done, take your time.

Walt
RJMII
Last week started out with a scope and the doc showed me some pictures of what I look like on the inside. Not a pretty site. The little bit of intestines I have left have ulcers and are all gross looking.
The scope and antibiotics combo set off more inflammation and I wasn't able to walk all week, even after they pulled 270 cc's off of my right knee in the ER.

I am still losing energy too quickly and keep fighting to do more than just hang out on the couch and watch movies.

This morning I was so discouraged that I started typing up a for sale ad for my twin turbo project, but was stopped by my wife who adamantly disagreed and told me "NO! You need that car."
Cupomeat
hey Jim,

Don't sell the car, your wife is right, plus you have done so much to it already, it would be tough to re-create once you have more strength.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.
JRust
Yeah Jim doesn't exactly shout out his health issues. Surprised to see this post but I understand why. Good to let everyone know what is going on. Especially those waiting on whatever emblem or rc wheel they ordered. Bottom line though is everyone here will gladly wait. Take care of yourself & the rest will happen. Your wife is a saint for putting up with you smile.gif . Be glad to see you at Route if I can swing it next year. Just please stand downwind blink.gif . While you are a good friend. You have got the worst gas I have ever encountered icon8.gif

Just take it easy gint2.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Hay: The year hasn't been a good one for me to. Almost lost my wife of 45

yrs. Then my health going to hell in a hand car. You need to take of yourself

if all you can do is lay on the couch & watch movies ,You do that ! Things will

improve with God's will & time. Live in the moment for now.

Dave slap.gif

RJMII
I had to bump this... I have spent about 25% of the past 3 months in the hospital. Yesterday I spent 6 hours in the ER getting fluids with severe abdominal cramping.
While I thought I was improving, it was merely my super positive nature getting the best of me.
as of my last doctor appointment I am a little over 20 lbs underweight and struggling to do basic things in life.
I absolutely hate having to share personal health information, but I am serously trying to get these wheels done. I appologize for the things that I have no control over that were unforseen. I can try to come up with the money for those of you that are tired of waiting. All I've got is my car, but I could start parting it to make refunds.

MDG
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 23 2011, 04:40 PM) *

it was merely my super positive nature getting the best of me.

And that positive attitude is doing you some extreme good right now. thumb3d.gif

Keep fighting, everyone here is with you. It'll be bobcat season soon smile.gif
JRust
Anyone that can't wait for their RC wheels & needs a refund? I will cover it. Please do not bother Jim. I would prefer you wait for Jim to get better but in the event you can't. Let me know & I will get you your money from my own pocket smile.gif

Jim absolutely do not stress over the wheels! We are all here to help & ready to do whatever shades.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 23 2011, 03:11 PM) *

Jim absolutely do not stress over the wheels! We are all here to help & ready to do whatever shades.gif

agree.gif

You need anything and I will do what it takes to help you my friend beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
Jim, it's an RC car. It's not as important as the life of a bud I have broken bread with. You are good for it, I am unconcerned. If you wanted, send the non wheels bits. But DON'T stress over it! Health is way more important.

Zach
Valy
Get well soon! I know what your going through and it's not easy.
pt_700
wow jim! thanks for sharing this. best wishes for improved health and your continued participation in this awesome 914 community.

postings like this help to remind me that even when i'm losing faith in my country (i'll keep my politics out of this), it's still populated by interesting, honest, generous & wonderful people. the integrity exhibited by not only your 1st post but, all those that followed can move even a cynic to tears.

i've said it before; best forum ever!
J P Stein
Mr. Crohns & I have been doing battle for bout 30 years now. I don't have it as bad as you but have lost 6 feet of small bowel. I've run thru 3 drugs that helped the Crohns but each caused drug induced Lupus and the joint swellings were too much to bear. The swellings have gone down for the most part (after 6 mos cold turkey) and Monday I go in for an infusion of a " New Improved" drug......we'll see.
Other than the boil on my ass (peri-anal cyst to be more precise), "things" aren't that bad right now.

The disease has debilitated me to the point that I've put in for a medical layoff at work. I'm nearly 66 now and feel damn lucky to get here.
I guess I have no real point here except to let you know you're not alone in the fight.
Mike Bellis
No stress Jim. Take care of yourself.
nsr-jamie
Sorry to hear this. I do hope you get much better soon, health and family come first before work. Take care
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.