Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm at a crossroads with my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NC_Colfax
I need advise from the world....

The more I work on my car,recent starting issue, I find more and more rust,fiberglass, and other problems.

I have rust in the pans,rear passenger, under the pedal cluster, here and there around the pan. I have fiberglass in the engine shelf and the turn of the long. Dents,bad paint work prep, accident damage front and rear.

Motor runs good but leaks oil in a couple places. MSD box and stuff wiring is hack at best...on and on and on.

Winter is coming and I will have time to work on the car...but is it worth it to work on this car...or should I find a roller and start fresh. I hate to see another car die to rust. I hate to buy a roller sight unseen that is as bad etc.

So those that have been there....
d914
Skills??? use of car?? $$$???

My car had some rust, losts of dents and misc holes from ac and such.. I decided my use was fun and track days... Fixed rust and reinforced the chassis.. Turned into a conversion car and painted it hot rod black with riveted on flares... Saved it but not exactly a purist dream..

What do you WANT to do.. drive, concurs, build?????

If fixing develope a plan.. Keep it running as long as you can and start accumulating parts.. Deals are to be had and I lost a good 2years taking mine apart before I was ready.. Sat in pieces waiting on the budget..
EdwardBlume
I know it seems like an uphill battle with any car... the cheaper way to go is to buy your way into another car... but the question is, do you LOVE the one you have? If YES, then take that journey and try and do as much as you can yourself.. these cars can be saved in any condition.

It just comes down to time, money, and guts.
McMark
Consider checking out west coast cars. For ~$2-3k you can get an inspected 914 shipped out to you. Spend a little more, save yourself 6-12 months. Learning to weld is fun, but rust repair can get real old real fast.

The big question - Are you a fixer? Or are you a driver?
carr914
From the way it sounds, it might be you have "your" parts car for the Real Deal that is to come.

Remember it is best to buy the most 914 you can afford, because if you go cheap, the demons will come out to play. At that point, people either; give up and somebody else snaps up your junk or you restore it and spend more than it would cost to buy a Carrera GT
Ian Stott
My first 914 was a 74 1.8 and the deeper I got into it the more I realized it was a baskey case, my second one was a body that left a lot to be desired, my 3rd is a 73 2.0 that was in very restorable shape body wise. Cars 1 and 2 became parts/donor cars and I now have a great 914 that is far from done but actually a very respectable example of a nice 914. If its possible get the best body you can and use what you already have as a parts donor, you will spend less money and have a better car, ask me how I know!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
orange914
it IS a buyers market right now... it seems many here, as with my family, started with a p.o.s. and built up from there. IMHO it's no shame to part one out if it's a goner and gives life to others. the learning experiance alone is valuable with your end keeper. smile.gif
NC_Colfax
I really hate the fiberglass work
NC_Colfax
I don't mind fixing anything....engine,brakes,transmission,electrical,etc.

I want a fun car that I can take to car shows,drive on pretty days,make 914/PCA events. I just want the car to look nice and work as it should.

I drove the car tonight...the 44mm Weber carbs are dead below 3K
and pop while I'm crusing...gets on my nerves sometimes

Car just needs the reset button pressed. I like the SC struts and the Fuchs wheels.

One more thing I lack is a shop. Car stays at my father shop but that is 20 miles one way.I can not build a shop in my sub divison due to HOA BS. I know people that can fix most of my problems but they cost $$$$.

I really like this car and would like to save her BUT I just don't know if it will be the best for me.
I will have about 5K of funds to work with after the first of the year...which is when I will be working on the car.

Car drives but it just needs attenion.
Lennies914
Keep your car running and look for a good tub. Start working on the tub (paint and body), then when the tub is "ready" start transfering parts over. If you can find the room.
trojanhorsepower
Hi another NC teener bye1.gif

Where in NC are you?

I agree with the the others, keep her running and get a good tub. My car would have been done ages ago, but when I had access to a shop, I spent all my(car time) time welding, then I lost the shop to a move. A clean tub you can paint and just build on as you have time. Hell just look what FourBlades did under a tarp!! (hmmmm that sort of kills my excuse to...) Maybe we here on the east coast should put together a group by on clean rollers.......

-Peter
hot_shoe914
You called it her! You are in love and you can actually drive it. I say fix it, keep the relationship going. wub.gif
NC_Colfax
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Sep 20 2010, 09:25 PM) *

Where in NC are you?

I agree with the the others, keep her running and get a good tub. My car would have been done ages ago, but when I had access to a shop, I spent all my(car time) time welding, then I lost the shop to a move. A clean tub you can paint and just build on as you have time. Hell just look what FourBlades did under a tarp!! (hmmmm that sort of kills my excuse to...) Maybe we here on the east coast should put together a group by on clean rollers.......

-Peter

I'm on the east coast. I think the car can be saved. I don't know how to explain to my wife that I need to buy another to fix the car I told her was "good to go"

My plan is to enjoy the weather and keep plenty of oil in her wub.gif

I guess I need to buy parts here and there....you know the car is not about to rust in half or anything. I just see the sweet looking teens on this site and I want to be there....
trojanhorsepower
Man, do I understand that.

There is another Teener on the coast. Chris 993nc I think, he lives near Wilmington. I used to live near Burgaw and spoke to Chris a few times, but never got to meet up with him. Perhaps you guys could get together for moral support drunk.gif

Good luck,

-Peter
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(NC_Colfax @ Sep 20 2010, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Sep 20 2010, 09:25 PM) *

Where in NC are you?

-Peter

I'm on the east coast. I think the car can be saved. I don't know how to explain to my wife that I need to buy another to fix the car I told her was "good to go"

My plan is to enjoy the weather and keep plenty of oil in her wub.gif

I guess I need to buy parts here and there....you know the car is not about to rust in half or anything. I just see the sweet looking teens on this site and I want to be there....

I'd love to be there too but I have a long way to go. I have yet to arrive at an event and not have the ugliest car there, and only difference this year at MUSR is, I will most likely have the 2 ugliest cars there. Yeah, it pretty much sucks sitting next to all those pretty ones...BUT...at least mine are there! I drive the stromberg.gif out of mine and show them no mercy. Doesn't really matter how pretty they are, if ya can't drive themthey are funless. So patch that bitch up and come see if you can stop me from doing a 3peat on dirtiest engine bay. Yeah, I have a 3rd one that isn't nearly as ugly but ya know what? The bitch doesn't run and she is sitting at Scotty's waiting to be made pretty. How much fun you think she will have at MUSR11? Not one bit, but my 2 ugly bitches, they will be the butt of ugly jokes and at the same time be putting smiles on faces.

Just my .07 cents worth,
Shoe

Click to view attachment
AutoXing the ugly LE

Click to view attachment
Drove the ugly DD to work in the snow to play. Ask Evil how fun she is in the snow.
windforfun
Dump it if you're not enjoying owning it. Times change & you can buy another one in the future. Your happiness & your marriage are what's important. Sometimes too much compromise isn't worth the money & frustration. It's only a car. My 2 cents...
NC_Colfax
I meet up with a porsche lover today and my faith in my car is restored!!!

Little here...little there....and I will have a nice car.
carr914
Cool sunglasses.gif
bandjoey
Hay Shoe, I see a new dent in the rear fender. You're really working on getting the trophy for the ugliest car! poke.gif av-943.gif

NC...get with your friends and get registered for MUSR. It's almost in your neighborhood, and you'll find lots of help there.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 21 2010, 09:15 PM) *

Hay Shoe, I see a new dent in the rear fender. You're really working on getting the trophy for the ugliest car! poke.gif av-943.gif

NC...get with your friends and get registered for MUSR. It's almost in your neighborhood, and you'll find lots of help there.

That dent was there when I bought the car and hauled it home from California Bill. But it is a little uglier now than last year.
guywan914
My car had the usual rust problem areas. Chris at CFR did the heavy welding and reinforcement work, with pieces from Restoration Design. The task of putting everything back together I took on (and then took it back to CFR to correct my mistakes) has resulted in a beautiful, drivable, dream ( it also has a Raby in it) If you have the time and a few(.!!!!) extra dollars it can be a rewarding journey.
NC_Colfax
Well the deeper I dig the worse it gets.

Pans are shot...rust front to back, sides, everywhere.

So it looks like I am going to start something....a roller would be ideal but I had a hard enough time talking the wife into one...so to tell her I need another would be rough.

So as the weather gets cool it will be time to start. I kinda hate it but maybe I will get to change the color to something I more perfer.

BiG bOgGs
I was feeling conflicted about the amount of work my 76 needs vs just getting a better 914 to work up from. Being that the one I have now was purchased on my 10th birthday (not by me) and that I have taken the past few years getting to know her, I just can't see restoring any other 914. But every few months, I must say that I do have reservations. smile.gif
1968Cayman
Do you not have a garage at your house? I'm building both of my cars in my home garage. Plenty of room after convincing my wife to park outside full time.
NC_Colfax
Due to HOA issue NO

Car stays dry at my fathers shop about 30 min away.
It keeps his Jeep from getting lonely. When we built the shop he got a bay and I got a bay. Most of the time my side has been full of motorcycles/motorcycle parts. Since I have stopped riding only one bike remains and my 914....plus a tool box. The 914 does not take up much room.
kphimself
I say go for it, Its a world of hurt but you will learn so much. Its is without a doubt one of the most challenging things you can do on a car. I curse mine everyday but i'm happy i chose to do it.
SUNAB914
I'm here, if you need some help.
tradisrad
Look for a good roller and build that up. There was one on the SF Craigslist, but his ad has dropped off. Guy claimed rust free and I suggested to him, via email, that he sell his car on the world. if it pops back up on CL I'll post a link.
Bill it as a better financial decision to the wife. If I had fixed the rust on my old car I would have spent 4 or 5 thousand dollars. Instead I bought a almost rust free roller for $2k (a bit expensive) and moved my suspension, engine etc into it. My paint is original and there are more dings in the car than I like, but those will be fixed in time. But my rust is/was very minimal; it was isolated to the front trunk seal gutter and very minimal in the rear trunk. BTW the new car is in my avatar.
NC_Colfax
Well looks like I am going to start this weekend on getting the car apart.

Should be boat loads of fun
topatrout914
If you are in Colfax I'm not that far away. There are a few 914 people around this area. I've had a few 914 over the years and am working on another right now. Send me an e-mail and I'll help if I can. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
PanelBilly
When people ask you when it will be done (and they will), be prepared to explain that your having fun and there shouldn't be a time limit on the amount of fun one person can have in a lifetime.

I've been having fun for so many years that I don't think the grease under my nails and the stains in the creases of my fingers will ever go away.
JTarver
NC, don't give up on owning a 914 at the very least, even if it's not the car you currently have. With 5 grand to work with ( you said you'd have about that in the future?) You could make the drive down here to Arkansas and get a really decent car in running condition. I've seen half a dozen over the last few months for sale here. We don't have the usual rust issues nearly as badly as the coasters do, as there isn't any salt air here.
Check our craigslist for awhile, you might get a great car for 3-4k, and still have your donor cars for parts you might need.
I'm happy to go inspect something within range here if you find it. I'm far from an expert but could probably talk JT into going with me. He knows his cars.

I'd have another one if I had the cash, but I just don't currently.
So, you really don't have a garage in a subdivision with a HOA? Wow, that's wild.
Also, I've got buddies that go to Ashville NC all the time. With some coaxing, I bet they'd haul a car up for you to help fund their trips for a pretty reasonable fee.

Joe
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(NC_Colfax @ Sep 20 2010, 07:54 PM) *

I drove the car tonight...the 44mm Weber carbs are dead below 3K
and pop while I'm crusing...gets on my nerves sometimes

Sell the 44's to someone with a big engine or a racer.
buy 40's and apply the difference to the project fund...
trojanhorsepower
If you are in Colfax I am not that far either. I have family in Winston and Hillsborough. I would love to help if we can work out some time.
Chris Pincetich
Yeah, take it apart and detail the parts you have. Cleaning and adjusting the engine while it is out on on a good stand or rollers will keep you busy for a while. You can get a lot of 914 for $2-3,000, one that isn't running but has a fairly solid chassis. Then mix and match best parts for 2011 beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.