Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: STARTER Hookup Electrical Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Is this the infamous hot start relay? It's an Audi part. I haven't the slightest idea where all the connections go idea.gif in fact, I forgot where the other ones go to hook up the starter. I tried to show all my wires including the ones off of the relay. Do I need this? If not, what do I disconnect & what do I leave & attach to where? If'n I need this where do all these wires go? There's a shit load of em. While we're on wires I forgot where the backup wires go thru to get connected! I had a dumbass attack when I took all this apart & din't label it headbang.gif

........b
Bleyseng
I suppose I could tell you but the I would have to kill you...

back up lite wires are the longer pair with the round end plug ins, should have a rubber cover that snaps on over the back up lite switch too.
That other mess should be pretty easy but how to tell you is the hard part.

Geoff laugh.gif
Bruce Allert
Crap! I meant License plate lights instead of backups. My 1.7 didn't have this little black box & if it is that hot start relay I really don't need it since I put in a 911 starter. I'll just go out & finish up the HE's & come back later.
thanks Geoff

.......b
75boxster
From what I see, the red ring terminal in the background and the ring terminal on the left hand side of the photo go on the bolt(stud) of the starter along with the battery cable. The ring terminal in the middle of the photo and closest gets grounded probably at the trany strap and the spade connector goes to the terminal on the starter solenoid located above the connection of the other ring terminals. Wiring from a photo is a bit risky so please get a second opinion on my take.
Bruce Allert
Thanks guys. After looking at my pic I think I can figure out how to eliminate this thing (if it is a hot start relay) idea.gif
75Boxster, you refreshed my mem'ry. I may actually get to "turn the key" today & it will start, run great & I'll be going for a long awaited drive...

and Geoff won't have to kill me clap56.gif

..........b driving.gif
boxstr
Bruce, Good luck I hope that motor works for you. Let us know what happens.
CCLINMOTORMEISTER
Dave_Darling
There are three connections to the stock starter. One is a yellow wire with a "flag" terminal on the end. It slips onto one of the prongs of the connector on the starter. (The prongs are all the same electrically.) This is the wire from the key, which tells the starter when to crank.

One connection is a red wire with a ring terminal on it. This goes on one of the studs on the starter. It should be pretty obvious which one that is. This carries the current from the alternator back to the battery.

The last connection is a LARGE FAT cable (usually black, though I've heard of red ones too) with a ring terminal on the end. The ring terminal may simply be "the wires are all mashed flat and there is a big-ol hole drilled through them". It goes over the same stud as the above red wire. This carries the current from the battery to the starter, and also from the alternator back to the battery.

Typically, hot-start relays are put "in between" the yellow wire and the starter terminal. A power wire and a ground wire are also needed, as is a wire to go from the relay to wherever the yellow wire used to connect. Hopefully that's enough info for you to figure out what's going on with that relay in your car.

The license plate light wires run up inside the rear trunk, over on the left side. They come from the engine bay/rear compartment light, and run in the same harness as the wires to the taillight clusters.

--DD
Bruce Allert
Thanks again y'all.
I almost got Punkin to the point of being able to turn the key boldblue.gif
I found a thread that actually had 3 pictures showing the relay in question. From that I was able to disconnect that relay & connect the starter the normal way... (I hope unsure.gif ) There are 2 studs on the back of the starter along with the flag connector. I ran the red wire with the flat "O" to the stud on the left. Ran the other "O'd" wire to the stud on the right & the smaller wire with the female end to the flag terminal.
The wires that I thought were for the license plate lights weren't that at all wacko.gif Before puting the engine in I pushed the wires for the thermo time switch, AAR & temp sensor thru a hole to get it outta the way. Well... I forgot I did that so it led me astray! rolleyes.gif
Punkin is back on the ground and all the wiring is complete. Next is the vacuum hoses. If I hadn't spent an extra hour cleaning up the oil I drained on the floor (super dumbass attack) cool_shades.gif I think I may have been able to get it finished. Found out the wire from the thermostat is too short by 2 inches so will need to get "Jerry" to rig sumpin! laugh.gif

So, to make this long story, er ah, end... I'll just say
I still can't believe I took out the engine & tranny & got another back in smash.gif
Simply amazing... Simply amazing smile.gif I luv this car wub.gif

............b
Gint
Way to go Bruce! smilie_pokal.gif I remember poppin my 914 motor pullin cherry.
TheCabinetmaker
Bruce, see DD's post. Both wires with the ring connectors go on the same post, which is the one without the strap to the starter.

Curt
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 19 2004, 05:05 AM)
Way to go Bruce! smilie_pokal.gif I remember poppin my 914 motor pullin cherry.

laugh.gif that's a great way to put it laugh.gif Thanks Gint

There were so many one word "explitives" that went thru my mind once I got it out & back in (there wouldn't be enough room to write them all here) boldblue.gif

Curt, sure glad I got you looking over my shoulder. I remember now that those 2 wires are on the same post. I always used a remote switch to turn the engine over for adjusting the points & one clamp was connected to that right pole that has no wire. Right on Buddy beer.gif here's a Fat Tire to ya beer.gif

Speakin of Fat Tires, I went to send a box of it to my Bro-in-law up in Kodiak via UPS & was denied. They said it was illegal. I went to the Post Office & they said the same thing. Guess when I sent yours I din't tell them what it was happy11.gif (oops ohmy.gif I just convicted myself) smilie_flagge24.gif

............b
TheCabinetmaker
If they don't ask, then ya don't have to tell laugh.gif

Next time the engine drop will go a lot better. My son in law and I do it together. He does the top, I do the bottom. 1/2 hour and that puppy is outa there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.