Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Since my mechanic here in town hasn't got back with me on the install of the bronze shifter bushing and the ball and cup bushing that are a bit sloppy. Thinking of trying it myself.

I would presume the shifter has to come apart somewhere in order to get them in place?

How hard of a job is it, just in case he doesn't get back with me............
tracer
Which bronze bushings are you speaking of? The other bushings are quite easy to install, especially if you have a creeper.
Cj Honeycutt
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 20 2010, 08:21 PM) *

Since my mechanic here in town hasn't got back with me on the install of the bronze shifter bushing and the ball and cup bushing that are a bit sloppy. Thinking of trying it myself.

I would presume the shifter has to come apart somewhere in order to get them in place?

How hard of a job is it, just in case he doesn't get back with me............

The bronze bushings tend to wear out the rest of the shift linkage system. I just replaced those same bushings the other weekend. disassembly doesn't take very long especially if you follow the Haynes instructions however getting the bushings into the "universal coupling" as its called by most CO's is very difficult it took a vise a alot of brute strength along with some makeshift engineering. While you have the main shift bar out of the car i would suggest also replacing the rest of the bushings in the shift linkage system. If your mechanic is specifically a 914 mechanic i would suggest letting him replace the bushings
Drums66
The regular !'s work great...I did it so it must be easy! confused24.gif poke.gif
Just do it!......get the bushing's 1st laugh.gif bye1.gif
underthetire
Do a search, lots of good write ups. Just make sure you order the correct bushings for your car, and have water and a microwave handy.
partwerks
I had the mechanic put the bronze shifter bushing and ball and cup bushing in, but long story short, 2nd get goes in but barely and can't even get it into 5th gear so I guess the next step is to take it back on Friday and make the adjustment under the shifter?? Could possibly be some flex in the modified Subie shift rod, but went into 5th just fine before changing the old bushings.
Any advice? I was told to make sure to mark the coupler and shift rod before making any adjustments so I know where it was.

I thought it was going to be a plug and play deal, but apparently not........Will the rod have to go forward, if it is not wanting to pull into 5th?
partwerks
We finally noticed that the bronze bushing was about and 1/8" longer than the one that we took out. I'm guessing it was shortened on purpose because of the modified shifter for the Subie, I don't know but he shortened it and now it shifts into gear.
Also he mentioned that when putting it into 1st to push down on the stick shift will make it easier? I hadn't heard of that before.

Also, I'm not sure why it grinds into reverse, unless I shut it off and put it into gear first.

Sometimes it goes into gear harder when not moving, but maybe that is just normal??
914Sixer
Because you took the slop out of the shifting, you will have to adjust the shifter in the front by rotating the rod at the base of the shifter. It may only take a few splines to make it right. 1st and Reverse are spring loaded to slow you down from missing a shift in to them by accident. You do not have to push down, it is more like puling the lever over. Hope this helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.