Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermostat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bullet
Hello all, I acuired a 75 914 2.0L about 6 mounths ago that the guy completly gutted the Engine on 10 years ago and then lost intrest. I traded him my claped out 97 Toyota Celica straight acroos for it. Anyways I have rebuilt the motor completly ie. new everything except for the Crankshaft. the cam shaft is the original too but i sent that up to Taccom cams and had it reworked and checked out. had the Engine all balenced new Clucth, flywheel, pressure plate etc. I finialy get to the point of putting on all the tin work, when i picked up the old thermostat and saw that it was Bad. is released all the time. FOund this out about 4:10pm when The local parts shop "Discount Imports" closes at 4pm on saturday and wont open again untill Monday. I need to find one so that i can install it on sunday and get the car driving again so that I wont get chewed out by my boss for having it at work for 2 weeks using all the shops equipment and more importantly takinga parking spot that is reseved for Customers cars. I guess my Question is: DOES ANY ON KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A THERMOSAT on a saturday night or sunday fo rthis car? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

And i liove in Beaverton Oregon
McMark
Leave it off for now. You can install it later without too much difficulty and the air flaps fail into the hot position, so it'll take longer to heat up, but will not hurt the engine.

Oh, and welcome to the board!
Bullet
Really. I was told that it was damn near imposiable to put the thermostat in while the engine is still in car. If I can put it in later that would be as sweet as pie. I honestly have never touched a Air cooled engine before in my short life. It is all completly new to me, and i must admin a bit itmidating. Which is pretty sad since I work for the local Porshe/Audi dealershit as a mechanic. LOL
Bleyseng
No it goes in pretty easy from underneath the engine. Along with stringing the wire from the flaps to the thermostat.
First time building one of these, well show us some pics!

Geoff laugh.gif
Bullet
Yeah i just check this POS haynes manual that i got and it made it sound really eaisy. I have been having 3 gus around the shop that worked on thesse when Porsche Still worked on them. and the guy that was helping me out today said that it was imposiable to do it with the Tin installed. I figure that i will go in ther tomorrow and bust my ass to try and get it running and show him that it is Possiable. That would be so great. I should have referanced this Haynes manual before i posted sad.gif I just have become so used to the acctual shop manual that i thought i would not need the Haynes. But the factory book is writen for people that have already had experiance with the engines. but the Illistrations are just perfect. well i guess i will pull my head out of my #$% before i post a silly question before checking all my referances. Thanks Guys
Bleyseng
So tell us more about the car and the engine??? Djet? Carbs? got any pics of the car? what shape is it in? color? your mothers maiden name?

Geoff laugh.gif
Mark Henry
Silly questions is what were here for! wink.gif
Welcome to the club!
Bullet
Yeah i would take some pictures if i hade a digital cammera but i dont. Plus i have seen the pictures of your guy's cars and I would just be utterly embaresed to put mine up untill It was at least a little kleener. Like i siad the previous Owner had it parked in his drive way for 10 years uncovered. I took out a loy of the oxidation with a buffer. but it still needs lots of loving. the interior is in damn good shape though.
I have yet to ride or drive in one of theese "gokarts" so i have no idea of what to expect on performance. But i have sat in it and pretended to drive it. laugh.gif I am really anxious to hear this thing run and see it move on its own power.
Bleyseng
Did you reseal the tranny? if its been sitting for that long I wouldn't expect it to stay dry after you start running it.

Geoff
Bullet
It is djet 2.0L i want to say it is lime green with the black roof and black interior. All the engine componets are Factory spec except for the lift that was added to the Cam and the head's had some minor work done to it. I am kinda regreting going with the lower (stock) Barrels 7.6 to 1 instead of the 8.0 to 1's. i went with stock due to ( i dont really know, they even cost more then the higher Ratio ones) I think it was more for the fact that i didnt want to run 92 octane all the time.
I also had the flywheel lightend too. was told that the differance could be felt. not that i will know the differance. Havent done anything else really to steer towards the performance end. Dont really know much about theese cars to tell the truth. I do plan on going with a wide body kit so i can put some wider skins on her. Do you have any sugestions.
Bullet
No i havent resealed the Tranny. I havent done anything with it since i got the car. I know that i should but the $$$ end of this car is starting to get to me at this point. I also have a E30 325 bmw that im building at the same time and trying to get some were on my 61 Chevy short bed side step. I just have to many projsects at this time. I just want it running for the time being. Who knows i may love this 914 to death and ingnore my BMW and get the 914 All good first.
Bleyseng
use the factory style steels flares available at a few places. I am not sure who has the best deal right now on them. They are available in fiberglass too.

Sure hope you didn't add too much lift on that cam if you are staying with DJet. Straying of stock specs very much gives the djet fits.
Bullet
The lace i sent the cam to seemd to know exectly what lift to give. It was highly recomeded to me By quite a few Old 914 owners. When i called them and placed the order they did ask What Fuel delivery system i had or planed to run and they said that the Profile that they were doing (D10) would work for that and said that it would be a mild cam and should have no problems.
Gint
Welcome to the board!

I hate to say it again, but I'll do it anyway, 'cause I haven't used this smiley in at least a week.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Bleyseng
he dont have a camera Gint. Maybe he can use his phone!

Geoff
Trekkor
Or maybe he could draw us a picture! lol2.gif

When bullet drives the 914 for the first time...

Do you remember your first? idea.gif

trekkor
Bullet
Well i will tell you what. My father and little brother are going to come out to work on the car with me tomorrow and i will have him bring his Digital cammera and i will snap some action shots. Hope full with a grin from ear to ear when im driving it out of the shop. I Feel so much beter now that i found out that i can use the old thermostat untill monday. It will be a crunch tomorrow. i have to wait untill noon before the shop opens on sundays and untill 5pm before they close it down. I think with a good game plan that I can finish putting the Tin on, install the Fuel delivery and Transmition and put it in the car in 5 hours. What do you think....Is it possiable? I have a full set of tools with air guns and a table jack and a Lift for the car.
Gint
I think with a good game plan that I can finish putting the Tin on, install the Fuel delivery and Transmition and put it in the car in 5 hours. What do you think....Is it possiable?

It can be done. Especially with 3 guys workin at it. Good luck!
John
You have only 5 hours. Is this your first install of a 914 engine? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but.......

I wish you the best of luck, but I don't know that it will be totally possible for you to complete your task in the alloted time period.

If you had some experienced help, it may be possible. I could do it alone in the time available, but it took me much longer the first time I did it.

I would estimate that it would take me:

1.25 hour - install engine tin and all fuel injection components (including blower housing and alternator)
.5 hour - align and install clutch/flywheel/trans on engine
.5 hour - get engine/trans balanced on jack, lifted into car and bolted in.
1.5 hour - install heat exchangers, axle shafts, heater pipes, shift linkage, muffler (basically the bottom half)
1.25 hour - connect all top half of engine (wiring harness, fuel lines, accelerator cable, battery cables, all hoses)

- running -

1-1.5 hour debug/run-in (set timing, set dwell, check fuel pressure, check for oil leaks, check for fuel leaks, etc)

I can do our race car in significantly less time, but to do a stock 914 would take a bit longer as they have all the tin/heat exchangers, etc to contend with.

Again , I wish you the best of luck. I can't wait for the pictures.
ThinAir
QUOTE(Bullet @ Apr 17 2004, 06:45 PM)
The lace i sent the cam to seemd to know exectly what lift to give. It was highly recomeded to me By quite a few Old 914 owners. When i called them and placed the order they did ask What Fuel delivery system i had or planed to run and they said that the Profile that they were doing (D10) would work for that and said that it would be a mild cam and should have no problems.

Interesting... The only place I've ever seen the "D10" designation before is on the cam for my 73 2.0L. That's what the PO told me was in the engine when I bought it, but I could never find out just what that was. The PO had switched to carbs and had put this cam in to go with them. Unfortunately, the cam wore down to nothing on the trip from Seattle to Arizona so I'm in the middle of a rebuild. If the "D10" is a stock cam that has been added to and then reground then my cam may have gone flat because this wasn't done right or because the PO didn't match the lifters to the material on the cam. Just where are you getting your cam from?
Bullet
I got the camshaft from a place called Delta cams webpage It was about $40 total for me that included getting the pushrods done too. I dont know what the Normal cost was that was with my dealer discount.

Well today completly sucked for putting the motor back together. I got to work and was all pumped to get going then i realized that i was missing a valve cover retainer or what ever they are called. that big spring clip. I hat one but for the life of me cannot find the other one. So after tearing through everything to find it I just got all pissed and called it a day. Im hoping that i can find a replacemnt with out going to junk yards. Is this something that a Parts store might carry?
Trekkor
Those valve cover bales are everywhere...you just have to know where to look.

Not likely to find one at a Kragen or Pep Boys. headbang.gif

Try a local VW repair shop and beg one. pray.gif

A club member in you area will likely be a buddy.

trekkor
tracks914
QUOTE(Bullet @ Apr 17 2004, 05:25 PM)
I have yet to ride or drive in one of theese "gokarts" so i have no idea of what to expect on performance. But i have sat in it and pretended to drive it. laugh.gif I am really anxious to hear this thing run and see it move on its own power.

laugh.gif laugh.gif That's about all the seat time I have ever had too. A 10 minute test drive (with the PO in the car) and twice around the parking lot before I tore it down is all I've ever driven one.
With nothing to compare it to, I don't think I can be disappointed as long as it runs. smile.gif smile.gif
lmcchesney
Welcome to the board.
Your energy is great to hear about. If you get it together in 5 hours or 5 days, it will beat most of us who are at the 5 month time frame. The board is a great group of guys(male and female) and are very helpful in providing guidance and knowledge.
Peace,
L. McChesney
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.