Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Suspension!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmtrnavsky
I just got my 73 2.0 back from the alignment shop yesterday and all I can say is WOW! It was a nice day In Everett today so I drove it to work and it was everything I had hoped it would be! New Bilstein Shocks and 100# rear springs make a HUGE difference in the handling. I THOUGHT it handled really good before, and compared to my truck it did, but now it's awesome! The new springs are MUCH stiffer. I could easily compress the old rears with my hands. I know everyone says 100#'s was stock, but I must have had 50 or 60 pounds springs because I could barley compress the new ones and the old I could compress quite a bit with one hand!

Anyways, the new suspension is tight and feels REALLY good on the road. Not so tight that it's bone jarring, but stiff enough that you have a great feeling of control and responsiveness.

I am a HAPPY HAPPY man today! WOOT! aktion035.gif

Thanks to everyone that helped me and gave me good advice. I'm glad I dropped the Boge shocks for the Bilstein ones! The ride is awesome and I no longer have a saggy rear end!!! piratenanner.gif
draganc
Good for you!

I just got my Bilsteins and still debating about the springs. Where did you get you 100lbs springs from?

Thanks,
Dragan
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(draganc @ Sep 21 2010, 02:07 PM) *

Good for you!

I just got my Bilsteins and still debating about the springs. Where did you get you 100lbs springs from?

Thanks,
Dragan

For some reason they were HARD to get. Weltmeister isn't making them so George at AA started producing them last week I think I probably got one of the first pairs he made. I was debating between the 140 and 100# ones, and so far am happy with my choice. Some of the feedback I got on the 140's was that if could make the car a little loose, and it rains a lot where I live so the last thing I want is a loose car on what is basically a DD. My car is a road car that sees the track occasionally not a race car, but Bilsteins and 100#'s springs on a DD car seems like a good setup so far It is a BIG difference in ride quality and stiffness. I am VERY VERY happy!
EdwardBlume
I have 100lb Eibachs with 15lb spacers on adjustable perchest with adjustable Koni yellows... they look nice hanging on my car (on jackstands)...
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 21 2010, 02:31 PM) *

I have 100lb Eibachs with 15lb spacers on adjustable perchest with adjustable Koni yellows... they look nice hanging on my car (on jackstands)...

LOL!!!

What do the 15LB spacers do?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 21 2010, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 21 2010, 02:31 PM) *

LOL!!!

What do the 15LB spacers do?

Hold the springs on the top cap. The PO used zip ties.... GLWT.
Drums66
...extra kudo's to you! boldblue.gif
bye1.gif
draganc

[/quote]

Hold the springs on the top cap. The PO used zip ties.... GLWT.
[/quote]

c'mon - zip ties? wtf? zip ties? you have to love those DAPO! barf.gif

where can i get the eibachs?
avidfanjpl
WOOT back at ya!

I am in a dry place, and I only AX or dry drive mine.

But I DID THE SAME EXACT THING AS YOU!

4 new Bilsteins! 2 Weltmeisters, but I took 140's because my mechanic called me a pussy if I didn't get 180's!

He is a maniac, and I never drive wet, but I am a certified old fart now.

You go be bold with your 2.0L, and I will be suffering from hemorrhoids, but will be getting a stiffy from seeing my 38 year old Boge's laying on the floor of the garage!

Great minds think alike!

Congratulations to both of us!

John
Zaney
I picked up these to go with my Koni yellows! Both still in the box sad.gif
draganc
QUOTE(Zaney @ Sep 21 2010, 05:55 PM) *

I picked up these to go with my Koni yellows! Both still in the box sad.gif

sweeet!!! they look awsome. is $209 for the set or a piece?

Zaney, could you pls do me a favor and meassure the height and width of the springs? Thanks!!
avidfanjpl
Come on, whip it out!

Those coilovers make me shiver.

We want to know if you paid 416 or 208 for the set.

I wish I had them going into my 914, but the budget be broken.

What a set!

Girls bolt-on's are much more, but like Brother Richard at CBA in Lincroft, NJ said in 1966 to us freshmen biology students about sebaceous glands.

They are glands to be sure, but they come in such attractive containers!

John
avidfanjpl
Not to steal the thread, but can you put the front cartridges in without completely disassembling?

hijacked.gif
tradisrad
It is amazing waht new suspension can do. Had you put in Elephant poly bronze bushings with your set up you would have found true bliss in the 914. I cant get over how the car rides with the elephnat bushings....
nsr-jamie
Hi, what are Elephant poly bronze bushings ? Do you know where I can find out more about them? I too will be redoing my complete suspension this winter and would like to know more about them....thank you
Root_Werks
You've picked probably the best combo for our PNW roads. Most roads are in pretty bad shape. I drive down to Seattle 4-5 times a month (driving my 914 daily still) and am thankful I don't have 140's in the rear or KYB's etc. I have Konis and 100lb springs. It's about as perfect as you can get if you want to actually drive your 914 around here and not trash it or yourself.

Sway bars make a big difference as well. I've got front and rear. Keeps the 914 very flat in the corners.

driving.gif
bmtrnavsky
I have front and rear sway bars too. Do the springs and shocks "break in"? I feel like the more I drive it the better it feels? Could just be getting used to it but I swear it feels like it eats up bad roads better and better the more I drive it,.
Root_Werks
Belstein's typically have multiple 'valves' and are gas charged.

I believe they have a sort of break-in period.

The best riding 914 I ever had was a 914-6 (conversion) I put front 87' 911 suspension on with the Bilsein dual tubes. It was just perfect for street use.
draganc
I just called ground control and it's $209 for the set of TWO. The std. spring rate is 150lbs and they have as well 125lbs.

I say go for it! aktion035.gif

PS: on the short springs you can attache the springs to the top with tie raps, so i guess the PO is not such a DA.
tradisrad
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 22 2010, 07:27 AM) *

Hi, what are Elephant poly bronze bushings ? Do you know where I can find out more about them? I too will be redoing my complete suspension this winter and would like to know more about them....thank you

I thought I posted this for you the other day, but here you go again. The elephant bushings allow the suspension to travel freely and give the car an awesone ride.
http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/d...siondiagram.htm
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Sep 22 2010, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 22 2010, 07:27 AM) *

I thought I posted this for you the other day, but here you go again. The elephant bushings allow the suspension to travel freely and give the car an awesone ride.
http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/d...siondiagram.htm

Those look awesome. A bit out of my price range right now, but something I REALLY want to do in the future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.