Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI or Carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
f4fighter
I was debating on sticking with the FI or going to duel carbs on my 72 1.7. The FI on the engine is in pretty sad shape and probably need new everything (not to mention I'm no FI wizard). My father-in-law says to convert to duel webers.

As far as performance, do I stand to gain more with a duel carb set-up or should I spend the money on upgrading my FI set-up?

Thanks, Bret
underthetire
welcome.png

And here we go again........ ar15.gif

Stock motor FI is way better.
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 21 2010, 04:21 PM) *
Stock motor FI is way better.

agree.gif

The carbs will get you going if the FI is in bad shape, but don't expect to gain any power from them.

On a stock motor FI is the better choice.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
trent1542
stick with FI. I would go with D-jet fuel injectors if you want to keep it simple. I'm going to have twelve 1.7L injectors here pretty soon so I might be selling the ones I don't use later...
RonnieJ
If you switch to dual carbs change your cam to accomodate carbs, that's the only way you'll be happy with them. I'm having my engine rebuilt right now and beefed up and am changing my cam because it never ran well with carbs.
sean_v8_914
I love the way the early 1.7s run with FI. gas milage is awesome and the 1.7 is the toughest type 4
sean_v8_914
...but like Andy says: carbs will get it off the jack stands sooner. sad but true
Tom_T
Bret - d-jet is the best for your engine, cuz re-camming is rebuilding the motor, then - as long as your in there - more displacement, power, etc. & it's way more expensive rebuilding the motor, than getting the stock D-jet fixed on a stock 72 1.7 if it's running right & not needing an engine overhaul anyway.

BTW - 72 was the last year on CA 1.7's where you still got 85 hp on the d-jet stock, due to more stringent smog limits, so they detuned it for 73 MY. IMHO 72 is the best MY for a 1.7, also due to the interior & shifting improvements.

I don't know WTF "Churubusco" is, but if you're close to GPR, AA, or any of the other parts suppliers around you or on the member vendors section, etc., then get with them for the EFI parts you'll need to get yours right.
Cj Honeycutt
unless u are planning on racing it carbs work fine, the only problem would be starting it up cold, u may need to let it "warm up" for about 5 mins in higher altitudes or below freezing weather but i have duel webers and they work just fine as long as they are balanced and tuned correctly
Rod
I have an early 1.7 running FI and I love the engine combo.
The only problem I have had was with the 37 year old wiring getting a bit fragile and the connectors cracking at the fuel injectors causing it to drop a cylinder, it went through three before I bought a new engine bay loom from Jeff Bowlsby... Which transformed the car.. It pulls from 1000 rpm in fourth without any judder or complaints.

If you can get the FI working, leave it in - it is a very reliable and surefooted system and my car has NEVER Let me down! It has always started, run and restarted when hot and has never been on jackstands smile.gif

johannes
Your FI may not be faulty and changing for carbs will not necessary solve the problem. How is your compression and ignition ?
If FI is faulty, it also may be cheap to fix because wires and connectors could be the weak point.

Changing for carbs will also affect value of your car for future resale.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.